New EKO Builds 4/7/12 18946 - Supports the new Cisco's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
mikesaigon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 14:31    Post subject: Flashed E1200 very smootly through web interface Reply with quote
OK, I'm totally new to flashed routeurs.
For everbody like me who benefit from other's people work, the least we can do is take 5 minutes for reporting.

So here is what I've done.

1. lot of reding general stuff about DD-WRT flash (peacoks, install, etc). Like 2 days.

2. while reading, took notes cause there are so many mistakes we can make, it's better to list them for not forgetting one in the action.

3. Hard reset the router. This can seem stupid, but I need to say in here for noobs like me: 30-30-30 is NOT possible on E1200. I've seen some guy complaining it didn't reset the routeur. SURE! the button at the rear is about wireless keys, so the routeur won't care if you press it for 30sec... For hard resetting you will need to use a toothpick UNDER the routeur. Try to conect back to the web interface, if it tells you shit about unprotected wireless, you've reset your router.

4. Disconnect WAN, connect routeur with an ethernet cable to some Windows machine for having IExplore. I've read somewhere Firefox could be a problem, so I didn't take the risk. Disconnect your Wifi devices.

5. Downloaded the build:
dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e1200v2.bin

6. Checked it with MD5 sums (easy, I use Linux)

7. connected my old switch for keeping some internet connection during the flashing, I'm paranoid and tend to verify again and again every step. Other possibility: you save webpages offline, you print them or make pdf (you can upload it to your phone if you only have one computer)

8. Loaded windows, connected to original firmware's web interface, and launched the flashing. It was nearly instantaneous, a matters of seconds, maybe a minute. But anyway I waited 20 minutes not doing anything. Remember, I'm paranoid. Sure 10 minutes would be OK; but you brick your routeur only once, and then you'll like to only have to wait 10 minutes for having it back to life.

9. Unplugged the power from routeur, waited 5 minutes.

10. Performed new hard reset and waited 5 minutes.

11. Connect again to 198.168.1.1:80
GREAT! You're in DD-WRT, meaning you did flash the correct way.

I'm still a bit afraid of loading a bigger build (that's why we buy a version 2, right?). Read someone did brick its E1200 after trying to load a bigger build. I would definitely love to use an OpenVPN build; since I live in a firewalled country.
Could anyone make a try and confirme this is possible ?

Again, to everyone reading. Noobs like me can contribute by reporting. Take five minutes, it is like a "Thank You" to people who gets their hand dirty to provide the DD-WRT software.
Sponsor
MongooseProXC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
kngtrider wrote:
Some of the newly supported models use an external amplifer rather than the internal one eg the E1500 or any other model cisco linksys with 'speedbooster' - is this feature properly supported or is the txpower setting non functional on models which use the external amps?

E1200 internal amp, E1500 external amp.

With the new build , I have default of 71mw for txpower with E1500 and DDWRT, however the TX error rate is very high

Transmitted (TX)
47%
2561784 OK, 2882174 errors

I have to reboot the router to clear the error rate and eventually it drops to 50% anyway. Have tried very slow and high txpower setting in router and client. Using 20MHz clients and both mini and mega builds. Otherwise the firmware is OK and flashing from stock was painless.

I installed the mini build on my E1500 and noticed wireless problems too. I did not have many errors, but I did have an unusually low wireless connection rate. I suspected that it was because of the high TX setting.

The owner's manual says the transmission power for this router is about 17db, so using the chart I set the TX power to 50mW. Everything seems okay now.

One thing that really bothers me is if the transmit power is boosted right out of the box. The E1500 might be in a different ballpark with the external antennas and the added power just might damage them. I am very curious what the default Linksys transmit setting is. Would any builders be able to confirm what the TX power is from the factory?
snooze7555
Donator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

I think the wireless problem is a issue with the new routers. I have a new E3200 and wireless is also bad max 3Mb down and always a good upload. With Ethernet no problems.

I use the latest kong firmware r19277.

Al new firmware's for the e3200 have the wireless download problem, very low speed.

Sad

1 E3000 AND 1 E2000 WPA2 AES
DD-WRT v3.0-r31277
cerda
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 16:37    Post subject: E2500 speed test results Reply with quote
I compared two routers, both running DD-WRT. I've done no wireless tuning to either. I've only used the defaults except where noted.

Testing on a WRT160nv1, DD-WRT using speedtest.net:

Ping: 64ms
down: 30.08 Mbps
up: 1.86 Mbps

Using E2500 with
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/12)
vpn - build 18946M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko,
default config:

Ping: 52ms
down: 20.01 Mbps
up: 1.88 Mbps

Using E2500 with above firmware, and
bluetooth co-existance set to preemptive,
Ran wl -i eth1 interference 2,
preamble is set to auto.

Ping: 60ms
down: 24.59 Mbps
up: 1.89 Mbps

Also, the power light is off on the E2500 during normal operation. This started with BrainSlayer 18777 OpenVPN.

I will be testing the VPN function in the near future.

EDIT: The WRT160nv1 reports very close to what my internet provider provides. I wish I have the 5ms pings and 114Mbps down that I've seen in posts here.
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

I think I have found an issue with the OpenVPN client and these recent builds.

Just updated my Linksys (Cisco) E3200 with v18946M Mega.

I have the same problem with this build as the v18024 build.

I am connecting via a 3G dongle plugged into the USB port. This works well with my ZTE MF626i on Telstra Prepaid.

I have a PPTP VPN server running, which is a little useless as Telstra give you a 10.x private IP range.

The problem occurs when I set up an OpenVPN client. The service works until the client connects to the server, then the sytsem locks. No ping on wifi or ethernet. Nothing. Restart and it works again until the point where OpenVPN connects to the server.

I do not have access to the serial console to get you any more information other than this.

Without the OpenVPn client, its been fine. Only using 2.4GHz Wifi. Got a laptop and a couple of iPhones working off it as I am travelling at the moment.

If you want me to post the OpenVPN settings and the dump from /var/log/messages or /var/log/openvpncl I can do so later. I'll be spending time with the family for the next few days

Guys, keep up the good work.
Cheers
Chris
phlegmer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any known issues flashing this build on a WNDR3300?

Thanks
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
phlegmer wrote:
Any known issues flashing this build on a WNDR3300?

Thanks

Flashed fine to my 3300, but also keep in mind, with these newer builds and the 3300, the biggest - feature wise - builds you can use on it now atleast for this build would be :

NEWD_std-nokaid_nohotspot_nostor or Mini-hotspot-kaid or any of the smaller builds, cept of course micro.

nokaid or bigger may result in either a fail or brick.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
ka4o_pi4a
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Using the last EKO build 18946 Mega on my E3200 I have no any issues with the Wireless. I get 60 MBit/s download and 60 MBit/s upload and that is the speed from my ISP.
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
More with the E3200s

OpenVPN works with a straight DHCP WAN connection.

I have an issue specifying DHCP option 66 (TFTP server)

with the line
Code:
dhcp-option=lan,66,"172.17.1.2"
or even
Code:
dhcp-option=66,"172.17.1.2"

in my Additional DNSMasq options, DHCP stops working.

Also tried from the command line
Code:
dnsmasq --conf-file=/tmp/dnsmasq.conf --dhcp-option=66,172.17.1.2

No luck
I need this setting to provision IP phones

Cheers
Chris
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, Today I learned something.

The DNSmasq / OpenVPN issue i reported appears to be not the build but a bad OpenVPN config, iroutes, and misspelled certificate names. It kills the local IP. This may also be part of my Internet on a stick USB issue with OpenVPN in another post.

I also learned that you can not TFTP recover an E3200 without a JTAG cable as it needs some commands typed in to commit the image to flash, or something like that.

Sleep also helps prevent these occurances too, for which Red Bull is no substitute

I will post my findings and fixes in a separate post, in the appropriate location.

Keep up the good work guys

/C
xor22h
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have tried "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/12) std-nokaid-small (SVN revision 18946M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko)" on Linksys E1200v1.

It works fine. No problems during installation. ( Upgraded to mini from Original 1.03, after update, added some settings, restarted, confirmed that Internet works, and updated to std-nokaid-small ). All done via router web interface.
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Confirming that there are some NVRAM issues with E3200s and erasing / changing values.

Tried to change Wifi from Chl 1 to Chl 4. Stuck on Chl 1.

About to do a 30/30/03 and start again

Cheers
Chris
brock.travis
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Two E3000 on this new 18946.
Client Bridge on the 5Ghz radio seems flaky.
Have to reset the client side router daily.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 13:45    Post subject: WRT610N v2 & svn18946 - WAN output 0 Reply with quote
I am not sure if this is an issue with the build, or my ISP (cable) provider.

I am running svn18946 big on a 610Nv2 which leaves ~4.2k of nvram. Everything including QoS seems to work well until I make a change then apply or save - for example disabling the WAN traffic monitor daemon. Output to the WAN drops to 0 and does not recover even with a reboot. Although the router does get an IP address, ... from the ISP. I can disconnect all links and power down the cable modem and 610Nv2 for 5 minutes (2 does not work) and then power on the modem then 1 min. later the router - everything is working again.

Cable company reported power fluxes on the cable. They came out re-terminated all the cable connections and replaced the cable modem. This was due to losing WAN output on an older build (recommended build) on a WRT320 v1. At this time plugging a PC into the cable modem did not work. Now, I can plug a laptop directly into the cable modem and have it work even when the 610 is not passing traffic. Kind of reminds me of the old days when coax was not grounded.
dehrle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 17:00    Post subject: 610N v2 - went back to 15962 Reply with quote
I changed my code back to 15962. I thought about converting to an E3000. Reason: Half my configuration disappeared (no reset and uptime was good). My IP address range was 192.168.0.0/24 and it became 192.168.1.0/24, my QoS was missing; but my hostname, and wireless configurations were unchanged.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: