WNDR4500, Found a ddWRT build for it & been working well

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:58    Post subject: WNDR4500, Found a ddWRT build for it & been working well Reply with quote
So I was doing some digging around as I recently got the WNDR4500 and find the stock webui to be horribly constraining. I was thinking of just ordering an RT-N66U and returning this one, but maybe progress is being made by someone?

http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/38649/DD-WRT-for-NETGEAR-WNDR4500-Initial-Release/

Looks like a legit package, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it yet or if I should guinea pig mine to see if this is real.

The reason for the huge download is that he's including all the source so you can compile it yourself, but he's got a ready to go flash file in there as well.

**EDIT**

Well there's an official release of dd-wrt for the WNDR4500 family of routers available now! Head over to this thread for more information : http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=762254

As for tathagata's build, it was greatly appreciated by many of us (me included), but now that there is official support for this router those builds are HIGHLY recommended going forward. If you want to upgrade to the official dd-wrt build please visit that thread for information on how to properly migrate from tathagata's build.

Last edited by HaTaX on Thu Jun 20, 2013 20:18; edited 4 times in total
Sponsor
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I couldn't stand it, I decided to see if it really was as easy as upload and flash, and bam... It even came back with my IP address I had loaded into it.

4500-DDWRT.PNG
 Description:
WNDR4500 running dd-WRT
 Filesize:  16.38 KB
 Viewed:  49620 Time(s)

4500-DDWRT.PNG

Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can confirm this bin is working on the WNDR4500, it DOES NOT! have the gpio's installed for the reset button or the power LED's.... I would say use this bin with caution.. If you do not have a serial then maybe wait for official release from dd-wrt.

I have pinged EKO there is some work to do to get the commits to trac and get it fully supported with the correct gpio's and vlan information..

-Fractal
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yup, it's definitely an initial release, seems there's some strangeness with wl1 control as well (Think that's the 5ghz radio). I can turn it on and such, but the power output of it is miserable and can't be used much further than 6 feet from the router.

When I loaded the firmware it retained my IP address on the lan side, but it seemed to do something funky with my password. I couldn't login with any of the expected credentials so I did a 30/30/30 reset to it and it DID come back up with the "Setup a new password" and it had gone back to 192.168.1.1 for its ip address. So at least you can reset it back to defaults using a 30x3 reset.

I might just keep this router as hardware wise it seems a little better then the RT-N66U and then I don't have to deal with a return and exchange.

Stock firmware is just too based on it being the main firewall for me, can't even isolate the guest network without using it in that configuration.

Thanks for the confirmation Fractal, I think lots of people will be happy to see that it's a possibility.
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your interest in that build.
Could you please inform me about reset feature and gpio so that I can fix them in my next release ?
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
tathagata wrote:
Thanks for your interest in that build.
Could you please inform me about reset feature and gpio so that I can fix them in my next release ?

It is a very good start, I sent you a PM on the other forum.

-Fractal
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have already given reply to that PM.
calee4nyaboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is already a very lengthy thread for the 4500:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=692050#692050

In the interest of keeping things organized (and not having two threads for the same model), lets use the existing thread for firmware information regarding this model.
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
tathagata wrote:
I have already given reply to that PM.

I have received the changes, I will work on GPIO's and also the webupgrade.c file.... I have pinged EKO as well.
I will give you the completed files when I done as well.

Thanks again tathagata, its good to have more choices of routers when it comes to dd-wrt. A big pat on the back for sure Smile

-Fractal
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please let me know once they are merged in DD-WRT trac and the SVN revision number.
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's kind of nice to have a fresh start of a thread for an actual release of dd-wrt versus the investigation and initial findings. When people jump in here they'll find a working version of dd-wrt for the 4500 on page 1 vs pg 12.

Anyway, thanks for the work on this tathagata, it honestly may have saved me from returning this nice piece of hardware. I am honestly surprised to find such a restrictive and dumbed down web interface on it.

Has been stable since I installed it, only thing I've not been able to get working is the 5ghz side of things. I also haven't tried tinkering in ssh with this one yet. Any advice or is it definitely not working currently?

Awesome job!! Smile
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am getting similar response on 5Ghz. I will check it on WNDR4500.
You can try SSH, it works.
ceasley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't been able to enable jffs2 support. Enabling it causes the router to freeze, as does changing any settings afterward. A reboot gets things working again, but for now I have to save everything in NVRAM.

Otherwise, I'm *extremely* happy with this release (except the 5ghz wifi, but that's no big deal for me)!

Excellent job!
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
jffs2 works fine in my case. You have to erase jffs2 before using it.

Happy to know that things are working on your board.
ceasley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
tathagata wrote:
jffs2 works fine in my case. You have to erase jffs2 before using it.

Happy to know that things are working on your board.

Yeah, I tried erasing and not, and it always results in the same thing, a frozen router Smile

No worries, it's working fine saving to NVRAM for now. Space may become an issue later, but we'll probably have a new version by then anyway.

Thanks again for the firmware!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 9
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: