WRT54G v5 changing RAM question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
charles1017
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:55    Post subject: WRT54G v5 changing RAM question Reply with quote
Hi I have got my Linksys WRT54G v5 with DD-WRT for a very long time
but under heavy traffic, it always become unresponsive(e.g. Wi-fi down,Cant get in to info site etc.) though i have already changed the Maximum port to 1024 instead of the default 4096, TCP timeout from 3200 to 90 and UDP timeout from 120 to 90

And after watching this link
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=262051
I think the best way for improving the performance is to add RAM for the router (without changing my router Razz )

And I have got a few question that hopefully the experts here could help me

1. The actual total Memory is constituted from two chips?
2. I have to change both with 16MByte so I can get a total of 32MByte of Total Available Memory?
3. The estimated cost for the 2 memory module is around?
4. Is it worthy to upgrade this device

Picture of the chips(one is at the center and the other one is at the right head corner with yellow labal stick on it)

Sorry for my poor english Embarassed
If more information is required please tell me!!!
Thanks in advance! Very Happy
Sponsor
artemisgoldfish
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
First, realize that the chip front and center in the picture is the SDRAM (6ns, 166MHz, if you like specs like I do), the one with the yellow sticker is the flash memory.

So, after realizing that, there's only one chip to change to get more memory. I'd recommend replacing the SDRAM chip with a Micron MT48LC8M16A2P-6A:G ($3.63 US from Arrow before shipping.)

Like the article you were reading says, if you have no soldering experience, you should probably leave the mod to someone more experienced.

16MB should definitely stop the the freezing. I just recently moved my WRT54GS2 (8MB RAM standard) to 32MB (because it actually has pin 36 connected to the Broadcom chip.) Pics follow.

charles1017
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
WAWO...!
Never thought that someone would still reply this old old old post! Thank You SO MUCH!

I have tried to upgrade the firmware, the situation improves a little bit.But under heavy traffic its still freeze but wifi is working.

I havent found anyone that is confident to do the soldering work, so I think I gotta halt this project for some time(till I found someone is cofident to do that)

But still, I would like to know more.
1.The chip Micron MT48LC8M16A2P-6A:G is also suitable for my WRT54G v5? Do I have to compare the number of pin and pins position again?
2.The WRT54G v5 support SDRAM that runs at a higher frequency?
3.You do the soldering work by your own? I saw quite a lot of professinal tools LOL... Razz

Thanks AGAIN! Very Happy
artemisgoldfish
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I already looked up the RAM on the board and matched the MT48LC8M16A2P-6A:G's pinout and speed grade to it.

Using faster memory? I wouldn't bother trying to see if it'd make any difference or what you'd have to do to nvram settings to change that, if it can even be changed at all.

And yes, I do my own soldering Smile I'm a hardware technician for a networking company (No, not cisco), so I have access to the fancier tools.
charles1017
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see. I will remember this chip model!

WOAW. I admire those can solder things up Crying or Very sad
charles1017
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw some other brand (actually NO brand cause they are like replica) chip with model number MT48LC8M16A2P-6A:G made from china, they are pretty cheap.

Do you think its a good idea to use them or should I just bought Micron's MT48LC8M16A2P-6A:G

Thanks in advance!
artemisgoldfish
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nononono, never use grey market parts, could just be a chunk of plastic with legs sticking out for all you know.
charles1017
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got it! Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: