Help semi bricked E4200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dmsmitty76
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:37    Post subject: Help semi bricked E4200 Reply with quote
I know this is a different firmware. Everyone here has always been very helpful and I thought someone might have an idea.

Apparently I didn't read well enough on my first attempt to install TomatoUSB on my E4200 and installed the wrong version. I installed "tomato-K26USB-1.28.9054MIPSR2-beta-Ext". Now only access the router via the Wifi interface. Using the Ethernet am unable to pull an IP address or access the WebGui when I setup a static IP. I have tried to reflash with DD-WRT, and the original Linksys OEM firmware and all I receive is an error message of "File contains an invalid header". I even tried to install the correct version of Toastman "tomato-E4200USB-NVRAM60K-1.28.0498.1MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-N-Ext" which results the same error. I have also tried tftp, rftp2 and I have also tried using Ubuntu bad flash recovery in linx method for the WZR-HP-G300NH. There was someone on DD-WRT forums that was talking about a jtag connection but I do not know anything about jtags.Any ideas how I can recover my router without a JTAG board?
Sponsor
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 20:54; edited 1 time in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
if I understand.. you have tomato running on the box and you are able to flash, meaning that you can initiate the flash but it fails due to an invalid header..

use the stock linksys firmware.. edit the firmware bin.. strip out the 1st 32 bytes of the header so that it starts with HDR0.. The "H" has to be the 1st byte if the firmware.bin file.

it should now flash.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
if I understand.. you have tomato running on the box and you are able to flash, meaning that you can initiate the flash but it fails due to an invalid header..

use the stock linksys firmware.. edit the firmware bin.. strip out the 1st 32 bytes of the header so that it starts with HDR0.. The "H" has to be the 1st byte if the firmware.bin file.

it should now flash.

Seriously THANKS!!!! I owe you a beer or other preferred beverage of choice.
toriburu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have the exact same problem. except i do not know how to edit a .bin file. any help? thanks in advance
h4x0r
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
toriburu wrote:
i have the exact same problem. except i do not know how to edit a .bin file. any help? thanks in advance

I believe u use a HEX editor for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: