Having problems with Repeating and Repeater bridge - E3200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
NigaSemaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 23:56    Post subject: Having problems with Repeating and Repeater bridge - E3200 Reply with quote
Alright, here's the problem I'm having. I have a Linksys E3200 and I'm trying to repeat off another router (A Cisco Modem/AP). Here's my issues with each..

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/14/11) mini (Build 17201)

On Repeater Bridge:
All my clients can connect (Phone/Wii/Desktop/Laptop/+ friends computers etc.)
The connection drops every 15-30 minutes it's completely random and can happen back to back.

On Repeater Mode:
Android Phone connects but disconnects randomly.
The computer I configured the router on is the only computer that can connect (friend's laptop/wii/desktop will not connnect.)
BUT the completely random dropping is out..

So.. can anyone help me? I'm pretty nooby to the DD-WRT firmware so don't judge me. Sad

Thanks in advanced.
Sponsor
unknowanonime
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there. It seems that we have similar problems. Smile

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=155623

Since my post, I have managed to stabilize it a bit.

Check for a clean signal channel. Most of the default wifi connections use either channel 6 or 11. If you have neighbors using wifi you can get a bunch of noise. I set up my ap router to channel 4. Get a tool to see your signal strength and the noise level.

Some gadgets won't work with connections of type 'n'. Ex. phones, game consoles, etc. Also make sure your "virtual connection" coming out of the dd wrt is not 5Gb based. Some gadgets won't work with connections based on 5Gb. Computers usually do though. If you find a good channel for your ap router , copy the channel into the dd-wrt. That helps isolate your active connection. I also found out that setting up an automatic reboot for your ww-drt helps to keep the router running smoother.
Let me know how it goes.
Good luck.

edite: Oh, and btw, try to disable your dd-wrt firewall, see if it makes any difference. I'm attaching the dd-wrt wiki article that talks about how to link two routers. link. Notice they say that Repeter "clients on different subnet from host AP (primary router)" but I have it set up on the same subnet and it works well.
NigaSemaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
unknowanonime wrote:
Hi there. It seems that we have similar problems. Smile

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=155623

Since my post, I have managed to stabilize it a bit.

Check for a clean signal channel. Most of the default wifi connections use either channel 6 or 11. If you have neighbors using wifi you can get a bunch of noise. I set up my ap router to channel 4. Get a tool to see your signal strength and the noise level.

Some gadgets won't work with connections of type 'n'. Ex. phones, game consoles, etc. Also make sure your "virtual connection" coming out of the dd wrt is not 5Gb based. Some gadgets won't work with connections based on 5Gb. Computers usually do though. If you find a good channel for your ap router , copy the channel into the dd-wrt. That helps isolate your active connection. I also found out that setting up an automatic reboot for your ww-drt helps to keep the router running smoother.
Let me know how it goes.
Good luck.

edite: Oh, and btw, try to disable your dd-wrt firewall, see if it makes any difference. I'm attaching the dd-wrt wiki article that talks about how to link two routers. link. Notice they say that Repeter "clients on different subnet from host AP (primary router)" but I have it set up on the same subnet and it works well.

Thanks for the reply Smile

I'm running it on channel 1 with all my neighbors on channels 6 and 11. I'm the only wifi around that uses channel one. (I search with a 9 dbi antenna.) So I guess that rules that out. I'm not 100% sure though.

And when I put it in repeater bridge and repeater mode I make sure it's G only because my antenna only supports G and not N. And they only connect fine when it's in repeater bridge mode. Sad

I've also tried that with no luck Sad I'm thining about upgrading my firmware to a better version. That might solve the problems but who knows Sad I'll def take a look at your thread man and hopefully it helps my issues Smile

-James
NigaSemaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are some improvements in Build v18946. I tried 17201 on E3000s and it was not good. There are some other issues with the SIP proxy too with this build.

I have used 18084 and 18946 on my E3200 for a good few days without shutting down or rebooting and it seemed OK.

The E3200 will not have any 5GHz support as the Wifi connect is a USB style connect (internal) and those who are working on the kernel have not figured out how to get it working.....yet (Broadcom are pretty tight lipped when it comes to sharing interop information, NDAs etc. this is not to say that it wont happen, but it will be a while.

Both 18084 and 18946 seem solid IMHO. I have not flogged them hard, but i am about to deploy 5 or 6 as distributed access points and WDS repeaters around a site. Not my first choice of unit, but they were cheap and they do says Cisco on them (some people feel more comfortable with that) and I dont need 5GHz...yet

Hope this helps. Give the firmware a go and report back.

Cheers
Chris
NigaSemaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrFidget wrote:
There are some improvements in Build v18946. I tried 17201 on E3000s and it was not good. There are some other issues with the SIP proxy too with this build.

I have used 18084 and 18946 on my E3200 for a good few days without shutting down or rebooting and it seemed OK.

The E3200 will not have any 5GHz support as the Wifi connect is a USB style connect (internal) and those who are working on the kernel have not figured out how to get it working.....yet (Broadcom are pretty tight lipped when it comes to sharing interop information, NDAs etc. this is not to say that it wont happen, but it will be a while.

Both 18084 and 18946 seem solid IMHO. I have not flogged them hard, but i am about to deploy 5 or 6 as distributed access points and WDS repeaters around a site. Not my first choice of unit, but they were cheap and they do says Cisco on them (some people feel more comfortable with that) and I dont need 5GHz...yet

Hope this helps. Give the firmware a go and report back.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks for the reply! I'll def take a look at those to firmwares. But as for now I'm sorta busy with stuff not related to my network to mess around with it. Maybe tonight. I'll keep posted Smile
NigaSemaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've updated my firmware and practically spent 4 hours googling to find a solution.

Current version:
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/08/12) big

If anyone finds a solution please reply!
NigaSemaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump!
NigaSemaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Really wanting a fix for this.. I've read about android phones and wii's not connecting but didn't find anything that helped. If someone is having this issue please respond! I also found on the repeater bridge it says "if your router randomly disconnects then switch to repeater mode."
NigaSemaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump!
NigaSemaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump! Sad This is really getting to me! Would love some help...
NigaSemaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump..........
NigaSemaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: