WRT54G V6 must be reflashed after being unplugged

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
crashbash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:07    Post subject: WRT54G V6 must be reflashed after being unplugged Reply with quote
I apologize in advance for my giant 'brick' of information, and i thank you for taking time to read it if you do; I like to be descriptive as i know much information is needed when diagnosing things like this

Hey DD-WRT forums, been a while since i have been on here; and i have been extremely happy with the firmware which has been running on a WRT54G at my grandma's house as a repeater(sad and strangest use of it ever? probably). Either way; i had obtained another WRT54G V6 (ironically the same exact model which i found amusing), I did the obvious choice of flashing it with dd-wrt. After messing with the auto-AP script i found that I wanted to overclock so I pulled out the soldering iron (install a fan if you can't tell where this is going) and soldered 2 wires directly onto the power plug, one on ground; one on 12V. Being careful not to short them I plugged the router in to ensure it was functional before soldering a fan to these wires. Surprised and semi-upset I found the router to be in a bricked state. Pulling out TFTP, i flashed it back to the firmware recommended on the wiki for this model. After a successful flash and 30-30-30 reset the brick remained. Confused; I remembered somewhere reading a post by redhawk testing the dangerously feared 'pin short' method of un-bricking and remembered how in one of his tests it rendered his nvram into normal ram that was erased after the power was cleared from it. (NOTE I DID NOT PINSHORT). Curious, i flashed it again using tftp to discover that this was the case... but in a different way. After flashing and logging into 192.168.1.1; i found that my settings all had remained; including my username and password I had setup, which i will compare to the nearest thing i can think of: a tethered jailbroken iOS device, when its turned off its inoperable, when its flashed with the firmware everything is there and just works. Knowing that this has been tied to pin shorting (although i can guarantee that no such thing had occurred), i figure that there is no solution to my problem; but if there is I would be interested in trying them out. I would also be interested in any further results from Redhawk regarding any further experiments he tried with his case like this.

Thanks in advance, and loving the open source community!
~crash
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
sounds like your added fan my be over taxing the power supply. The V6 has a 500ma (1/2 amp) ps. 12v fans vary in the power they require. You did not mention that.

It actually makes no matter. I would suggest you get a bigger ps. Still 12vdc, but you will need more amperage.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try a 1 amp
I think that some routers may have a regulator in them (maybe all??). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but, you could probably feed the router 1/1.5 amps and the router will only take what it needs. But this may cause your regulator to run hotter. (Like an NES)

crashbash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will do when if i can find a 1amp... may have to settle with 2.2amp as its all i know that i surely have.
The thing is that the fan never actually got attached, i had the wires soldered on that i was going to solder the fan to... but then i tested it to make sure it was working; the rests history
linuxdude2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
crashbash wrote:
Will do when if i can find a 1amp... may have to settle with 2.2amp as its all i know that i surely have.
The thing is that the fan never actually got attached, i had the wires soldered on that i was going to solder the fan to... but then i tested it to make sure it was working; the rests history

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3875403
Just set it to 12 v

crashbash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Spent $7 on the router, i'd rather wait for another one to come my way before buying that
crashbash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
WELL im amazed.
took a 1.25amp adapter and plugged it in, watched the lights act normally including the wlan light. Figured i should check my wifi before bothering with an ethernet; and it works perfectly.
The power supply was making a slight high pitch noise before this occurred... I presume i just got unlucky and the power supply just decided to die at the 'right' time?
Either way, thanks everyone! I'll tell you after a few days how its working out after reflashing autoap and re configuring it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: