dd-wrt behind router, should be working as a gateway

shaq1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 19:16    Post subject: dd-wrt behind router, should be working as a gateway Reply with quote
Hey guys,

i just wanted to set up a second subnet behind my current router, but got into some trouble.

router1 has a built in dsl modem and is direcetly connected with the internet.
lan ip: 192.168.1.1
subnet: 255.255.255.0
dhcp is enabled

i connected the lan port of router1 to my dd-wrt asus n66u WAN-Port and set the WAN connection type to DHCP, but the router didn't get a dhcp lease from router1.
since that didn't work i set the WAN Connection Type to Static Ip an enterd the following
WAN IP: 192.168.1.3
subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS1: 192.168.1.1

lan ip:192.168.2.1

still not working. What am I doing wrong?
Is it correct to connect the LAN-Port of router1 with the WAN port of my dd-wrt router?
Does it matter if I use a patch or crossover cable?

Thanks

Sebastian

Last edited by shaq1 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 13:46; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
shaq1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nobody who can help me?

I just put the router1 and the dd-wrt in the same subnet and connected them via lan at lan port.

now, theres a different problem. i logged in via telnet at the dd-wrt router and tried ping 192.168.1.1 (router1 and set as gateway) and get a 100% packet loss! the crazy thing is, that i can reach all other computers in the network, no matter if they are plugged in at router1 or the dd-wrt one.

Any idea what can cause this error?
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
your first scenario should work so it;s a mystery that it is not. I have seen cases where the WAN port on routers don;t seem to always function as expected and I don;t know under what circumstances would cause it to fail-length and quality of network cable, some sort of issue with signal regeneration, mac address being blocked somehow, problem with autonegotiation-i had a weird issue were a trusty old WRT54G could not get a DHCP address from a brand new Time Warner cable modem.

if you want to do the 2nd scenario since you look like you are already there, i think you may want to follow the steps for creating a wired AP.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

key points are turning off the WAN port on the router2(the Asus), Turning off DHCP(because you will use the DHCP on router1), turn off the SP1 firewall on Router2 and set it to be a gateway. You may want to turn off wireless on router1 if it has it or atleast keep them as same SSID and security but different channels.
shaq1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for helping me out.
i'm still sticked to the first scenario and figured out, that it might be a router issue (the dd-wrt one).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: