WRT54G2 v1 Dropping Transfer rate Repeater Mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Razue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 23:05    Post subject: WRT54G2 v1 Dropping Transfer rate Repeater Mode Reply with quote
i have tried different builds and most of them failed after several hours coz my rate keeps of dropping tried

14929 , 15962 , 18740 , 18777 , 10709 , 13064 , 12548 , 17990.. most of them always gets me like 1 - 2 mbps transfer rate.. by the way im using repeater mode.. i also tried the tx power to 40-50 its good at first then going down again.. also when i try ping test i always get packet lost more than 0% now im using 10015 for me its the most stable build but sometimes it slows down too... any of you can help me with this? i want to use sp2 that is stable with wrt54g2 v1 coz 10015 is too outdated.. thanks

Last edited by Razue on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:35; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Razue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
any update on a build for wrt54g2 v1 that is sp2? eko or brainslayer
bennor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I gave up with DD-WRT on my WRT54G2 v1 a while back. The transfer rate would always drop to under 2 mbps. With the TX Power set to 35 worked for about 10 minutes to half an hour then the transfer rate would drop off again and never rise until the power was cycled and the process would repeated again.

Personally I think this router is garbage. Ended up going back to the stock Linksys firmware on it and dealing with the annoying quirk where it drops the wireless signal every time I turn on any of my wired computers.
bennor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Went back and played with my WRT54G2 V1 and DD-WRT this morning. Still getting drop outs in the Wireless Rate using the Peacock Thread recommended Brainslayer 14929 generic micro build (ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin). Changing the Wireless Channel, the TX Power, and the Transmission Fixed Rate work for a time then the rate drops off down to under 5 Mbps.

Interestingly on the Linksys WRT54G2 v1.0 DD-WRT Wiki page (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G2) under the NEW WIKI Install Material at #9, it says to update to the NEWD_Micro.bin build 12548 (ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn12548/dd-wrt.v24-12548_NEWD_micro.bin) after you have dd-wrt running, and to following the steps in Note 1 of the Peacock Thread.

Been using NEWD_Micro.bin build 12548 for the past 3 hours and so far the Rate doesn't drop below 36 Mbps with the Wireless Channel set to 11, the TX Power at the default 71mW, and the Transmission Fixed Rate set to the default Auto.

Will have to do some testing and leave it running for a while to see if anything changes.

Update: Well WRT54G2 V1 router fell back into dropping the wireless rate down to 1 to 2 mbps the minute I tried to transfer a large file (500Mb) across the wireless network. Changed the TX rate to 35, router worked fine for almost three hours then locked up and dropped all wireless connections while trying to watch video content on a Roku 2 XS connected wirelessly. Router was unresponsive, couldn't not access the administrative pages or status pages via wired computer. Rebooting the router was the only fix.

Pulled the cover off the router and the Broadcom chip was extremely hot to the touch. Other chips were warm but did not burn my finger like the Broadcom chip did. With cover off and TX rate set to 50, transferred a 2GB file via wireless the rate bounced around from 54 to 34 to 24 down to 18 then back up to 34.

Forced rate to 54, TX at 71, wireless rate indicated 54, however the transfer was much slower for same 2gb file.

The bandwidth monitoring - wireless graph fluctuated around the 10 Mbps during most of my testing. However, when forcing the rate to 54 and the TX to 71 the graph bounced all over the place from 10 down to 1 Mbps.

Currently have the cover off with the TX rate set to 40 and the rate fluctuates between 36 and 48 mbps when transfering large files otherwise it stays at 54 Mbps.
Razue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
so taking the cover off solves the problem?
bennor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
For my WRT54G2 V1 hard to tell if removing the cover actually helps. My WRT54G2 is sporadic at keeping the rate at 54 Mbps with DD-WRT firmware no matter if the cover is off or not. Sometimes it goes hours (six or more) before the rate suddenly drops to 1-2 Mbps, sometimes it drops to 1-2 Mbps 2 minutes after power cycling the router. Couple of times the router simply locks up, drops all clients (wired and wireless) and is inaccessible until power cycling.

The Broadcom chip does get very hot though so just for simple heat dissipation it probably doesn't hurt to remove the cover.

Wish there was a solid answer as to which firmware version to use and how to configure DD-WRT so it doesn't drop the wireless speed on this router. Even with the stock Linksys firmware my WRT54G2 behaves erratically.
Razue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
update im using 14929 right now for the 4th time and now it works good and i am using repeater mode tx power 71 and i've turned on the frame burst mode and its working good now but the thing is i am only using it when i am awake and at night before i sleep i plug it out then when i wake up i plug it in..
bennor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good to hear that its seems to be working for you. I've done more playing around with my WRT54G2 and various flavors of DD-WRT firmware. Results are mixed with the rate drop to 1-2 Mbps is prevalent on most firmware versions I've experimented with. Currently using Micro Build 17990M NEWD Eko firmware, with the TX set to 30. Seems to work OK so far, the rate tends to fluctuate. Only had it drop to 1-2 Mbps over the last three days. The router has locked up solid once with this firmware. Only consistent issue is the router tends to randomly drop the wireless signal once a day. When it does the wired side continues to work.

I had this wireless dropping issue with the stock Linksys firmware too. Any time I would turn on a wired computer (one Windows XP the other Windows Vista) the stock Linksys firmware would drop the wireless side. I could power cycle the router, or I could use a wired computer to address the router's administration page, navigate to the Wireless Basic Settings page and hit the Save Settings button to bring the wireless side back up.

When the DD-WRT firmware drops the wireless side I can do a similar thing. Either power cycle the router or, using a wired computer, access the administration pages on the router and navigate to Wireless Basic Settings page and hit Apply Settings to bring the wireless side back up.

Strange. <shrugs>
Razue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm so 17990m is better than 14929 for wrt54g2 model? i guess ill try that sometime coz i dont want to turn off my router everyday just to not drop the transfer rate... can you advice any router that is cheap like $15-$25 on ebay that works good on DDWRT? that dont drop rate on REPEATER Mode?
bennor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Razue wrote:
hmm so 17990m is better than 14929 for wrt54g2 model? i guess ill try that sometime coz i dont want to turn off my router everyday just to not drop the transfer rate... can you advice any router that is cheap like $15-$25 on ebay that works good on DDWRT? that dont drop rate on REPEATER Mode?

All I can suggest, since I don't have my router configured as a repeater, is that if your unhappy with Peacock Thread-FAQ recommended firmware 14929 that you try others to find one that works best on your WRT54G2. All of the firmware that I've experimented with had the 1-2 Mbps rate drop issue at one point or another with my WRT54G2 V1.

Since the other WRT54G2 thread has been on going for several years without a firm solution its doubtful there is a firm solution for all WRT54G2's that exhibit the rate drop. It would appear that the other thread doesn't have many people posting these days, so either people are living with the problems, gone back to the stock Linksys firmware, or dumped the WRT54G2 for another router.

On the question of a good inexpensive router that can be configured as a repeater, don't know. But a search through the DD-WRT forum site does yield this thread...
"What's the Best Router..." thread. Ask/post here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=87868
Razue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmmm i have an old router wrt54g is it better and not having drop rate of 1-2 mbps?
bennor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Using a WRT54G might be a better option when using DD-WRT. I loaded DD-WRT to a WRT54G V6 a while back and it works fine. Does not exhibit the rate drop to 1-2 Mbps that the WRT54G2 does. The rate on that WRT54G V6 does occasionally fluctuate between 54 and 36 though.

I've been running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/08/11) micro - build 17990M NEWD Eko on my WRT54G2 V1 for four days now. The rate drop to 1-2 Mbps still happens, but it's infrequent. Happened once yesterday, three times the day before, and once the day before that. My WRT54G2 V1 still drops the wireless signal completely, disconnecting all wireless clients, within 1 1/2 hours of being powered on. Its like clockwork. The wired clients remain connected when the wireless signal goes offline.

Going to live with DD-WRT on my WRT54G2 V1 for now. <Shrugs>
Razue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
trying DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/08/11) now coz i got high packet loss in 14929 i have 54 mbps transfer rate but high packet loss
Razue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
update : i am now using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/08/11) micro-plus-ssh and for repeater mode its kinda stable and tx power set to 63 for now its kinda stable for 2 days.. i hope it goes on..
pf100
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Razue wrote:
update : i am now using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/08/11) micro-plus-ssh and for repeater mode its kinda stable and tx power set to 63 for now its kinda stable for 2 days.. i hope it goes on..

After doing some digging around, I'm using the same bin (17990 from 12/08/11) and it seems to be working well for me on my WRT54G2v1. Here's a link to hopefully save someone some time of trying to find it. Thanks to everyone for their input. ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn17990/dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin

Update: Almost a month later I am happy to report that bin 17990 micro plus ssh is rock solid stable on my WRT54G2v1 in client mode at 100mw output power with the factory power supply. This is with almost constant internet video streaming with occasional large file transfers.

I have to tell the story behind this router because I think you'll like it. (If I should move this story elsewhere, let me know and I will.) It was given to me because it didn't work. When it was turned on all the lights stayed solidly lit, never a blink, and no response to a ping. I took it apart and apparently it had taken a massive power surge at either port 1 or 2 because it had burn marks in the area by those ports. I suspected that at the very least, the HN2064CG dual port transformer http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100823100250/infodepot/images/2/26/Linksys_WRT54G2_v1.3_FCCd.jpg (looks like a big black rectangular chip, mounted next to the ports) was fried so I tried to remove the one for ports 1 and 2 (there are are two of these, one for ports 1 and 2, and one for ports 3 and 4) but couldn't easily remove it because it has so many connections, so I just grabbed a pocket knife and cut all the connections on the board that went to it. I know that sounds reckless but I really didn't think this router had a snowball's chance in hell of ever working again and was about ready to throw it in the trash. So I crossed my fingers and powered it up and it worked (yay!) and I found the stock firmware installed at 192.168.1.1. I found this thread through a google search, did a little more research on this forum and site, installed bin 17990 micro plus ssh and the rest is history. Ports 3 and 4 work perfectly and I have it in client mode picking up a wireless signal from about 500 feet away providing internet to my office from the building next door. Then a cable from port 4 goes into the WAN port of a wireless router that isn't DD-WRT compatible but works fine as an access point. I have a computer repair and IT shop in a church that has an entity there that provides legal assistance for people who are being railroaded by the courts, and I do volunteer work for them so they set me up with a free (as in free beer) office there. They allow me free internet but it was my problem of how to get it working in my office. Also, I provide an office in another building internet with a Netgear WNR2000v2 running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/24/10) mini - build 15962 in repeater mode at 100mw transmit power and it's rock solid stable for months now. The main router in the main office that's the access point for all this is a Netgear WNDR4500. It's an awesome router that's ridiculously expensive that I wouldn't have bought (At the price of almost $200, I could have bought 2 great routers that were DD-WRT compatible), but they were having all kinds of problems with internet dropping signal with the old crappy WRT54GR router they had. That's the worst router I've ever seen. It's horrible. Avoid at all costs. The WNDR4500 on the other hand has great range and is actually two routers in one since it has dual bands that work simultaneously (2.4 and 5ghz). I wish it was DD-WRT compatible, but since it's being used as an ordinary access point (and future USB print server) the stock firmware works fine.
Anyway, thanks for everybody's assistance and for the people that make DD-WRT. You make my life a lot easier for providing solutions that work.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: