Best router thread [first split]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
just some common advice but sometimes newer isn;t always better. being enamored with specs is great for feature envy but if you are a sysadmin, stable but predictable is always preferable to blazing fast some of the time but flaky.

if they made a router that was perfect-big cpu, ram, nvram space, usb port, powerful radio plus stable with DD-WRT-we'd all jump on it. doesn;t seem to exist yet. actually, i bet I could build a pc with those specs and run the x86 version but it would out of the scope of what i;d want to accomplish-which is to get all functions from a relatively low cost, low power consuming, high stability black box.

it all comes down to what is proven to be supported and what the devs can spend their time on. if you want your router to be supported, i;d say make friends with a dev and drop ship a router of your preference to them and maybe they will motivated enough to get it to work.
Sponsor
kk5000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Madman,

Is the gist of what you're saying that the choices I've picked are good choices?
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
i don;t know anything about the WNDR3700 but if it;s working well for you, i am going to check it out even though you say it;s 8 years old. My longest in service router is a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 and it;s still going strong with a very good G radio. the processor is a little slow by todays standards and lacks usb ports though. I was originally looking at Buffalo for a next generation router but seems like DD-WRT support hasn;t been all that strong for newer models.

I myself am now testing the Asus RT-N16 in one of my sites and the only feature it;s lacking is the 5 ghz radio. However, some of the newer state of the art routers like the Asus N66U, e4200 ect....all seem to have spotty support for 5 ghz radios in DD-WRT anyway. It;s got a 480 mhz cpu, 128 mb of ram, 32k nvram space, 2 usb 2.0 ports and I am successfully using it as a low power file server/ftp with a usb RAID 5 array attached as well as a router. I took a chance on it because it had been out for a few years and the reviews have been overwhelmingly good. support from DD-WRT seems to be pretty solid as well. there may be others in this line that are cheaper but provide the functionality I need but 64$ is not bad.

actually I am waiting for the Asus N66U to get more stable. doesn;t seem to be there yet with the nvram issues. and if support for the new RT-AC66U happens, I will look at that one too. However, i am not too enthusiastic on spending 170$ plus on a router really.

goodluck with whatever you choose. in the end it comes down to how much you want to spend in time and money to get the best performing solution.
Demios
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
My last router (WHR-HP-G54) just died. It was rock solid stable with DD-WRT installed and lasted 6-7 years. I'm looking for something to replace it. I wanted to know what the current most stable router for the DD-WRT firmware is. I am currently contemplating the ASUS RT-N16. I am however unable to ascertain if it is a fantastic and stable router or not. Any ideas or suggestions of a better router? I'd like to be in the $100 price range, but I would hit $200 if there is something that would blow me away.
Note: It is for home use. I'm a power user (if such a thing exists). Perpetually seeding large torrents for linux distros.
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 19:43; edited 1 time in total
theLiminator
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 0:11    Post subject: Best Router Under $50 Reply with quote
Hi,

I was wondering what the best router for under $50 dollars would be (the cheaper the better if performance is still good).

My main priorities are:
Excellent signal strength and range (throughput doesn't have to be super high, just enough to saturate a 25mbps connection), ability to handle a connections that would be typical of running 20-30 torrents at once (probably around 500 connections at most).
Stability (I don't want frequent disconnects)
11n

I'm finding that the stock wifi modem provided by my isp sucks, and isn't compatible with dd-wrt.My signal strength in the washroom sucks (it's probably within 10-15m of the router with only 1 door/wall between the signal)

Overall, I want something that has excellent signal strength (and possibly even more from increasing transmit power).

Thanks for the help
p_shep
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
The asus RT-N(/AC)66U looks like it's top-dog in the CPU/RAM stakes... anything else?

(I have plans for a chunky processor)
jamesm113
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
My E3000 looks like it's going bad.

What's the best router that does the following:
*USB port
*Gigabit
*Wireless N support
*5.0 GHz support
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
funny thing is that we are all looking for that! if it existed, we'd buy them like hotcakes!

the closest contenders are the Cisco E4200 V1 that they don;t seem to make anymore and are hard to find since they are up to revision V2/V3 that are not dd-wrt compatible.

the next contender is the Asus RT-N66U but it;s got NVRAM issues. That might get fixed in the near future. it also costs 170$. Would an owner recommend this one today?

if you needed all that minus the 5 GHZ radio, the ASUS RT-N16 has been out for a long time and relatively stable. can be had for about 65$ if you shop for it. I own a couple so i;d recommend this one if you didn;t need 5 GHZ.

another router that seems to have all the specs you want but seems problematic according to the reviews on newegg is the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH.
justinmiller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the Asus N66U. I had some problems with it initially, not NVRAM related, but related to other stuff on my network. Now that I've sorted those out and realized that it wasn't the Asus, and did some experimentation to find the best 5Ghz channel, I can say that the Asus is the cat's pajamas!

It performs great and is very stable. I'm just running the mini build because I don't need the VPN. I have a VPN on my Linux server that I forward to.

Tomato also works very well as others have posted and solves the nvram issues.

This router is very good times. I stream all kinds of HD over wifi, plus some live hd from an hdhomerun and the router barely notices.
jamesm113
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do any of those routers have overheating issues like the E3000? I just spent $60 on the E3000 and now it's overheating, and would hate for the same thing to happen to the new router.

I suppose I don't need 5GHz, though it definitely would be nice to have.

I do have a few devices wired (HTPC, blu ray, personal desktop, printer)
synpse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I fixed an install for a local business of a Cisco / Linksys E3000 when it was brand new. Much nicer than my Netgear WPN824 (which was awesome in 2005, when 54G/108 MIMO was new)

So I bought a Linksys WRT610N for $60 used on eBay. the v1 hardware is a little bit slower. the WRT610N v2 is the same hardware as the E3000.

So then Newegg had new E3000's on sale for $60 and free shipping, so I got one of them. Faster cpu.

As long as you keep them from overheating, they're awesome! I have my wedged at a 45 degree angle. The one at the business I hung from a stretched coat hanger. Whatever to keep them cool.

Gigabit LAN is nice.. wish the WAN was too.

My laptop has an Intel 4965 AGN. On 5ghz it gets 300mbps. Has a 100mbps LAN connection, so I can get faster transfers over wireless than wired!! 20 MB/s is nice

USB 1/2.0 works fine with a jump drive. DD-WRT works fine with FTP or SMB. I get 6MB/s but that's the drive speed. I guess it'll do external hard drive too, but i don't have one to test it. It might even be a print server too.. but again, untested.

As for stress testing, I have 2 desktops, up to 5 laptops, Wii, Xbox360, WET610N bridge to DirecTV box, another HD DirecTV wired, and everything can stream fine.

So.. for $60, I love this model
camfrye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 23:55    Post subject: Router with Dual USB ports for 3G/4G modems w/ failover? Reply with quote
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a DD-WRT capable router that will allow me to use two USB modems (3G/4G/ devices)?

I would like to be able to connect two modems to the USB ports (and serve an internet connection to multiple clients) and have the router failover to the other modem (most likely would be on a different provider's network) should one fail.

I appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Thanks,
Cam
Router2me
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Double post by mistake

Last edited by Router2me on Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:52; edited 2 times in total
marioja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 0:41    Post subject: Best router for DD-WRT support Reply with quote
Ok, it says in this very long post that there is no such thing as a best router. Well, I tried to find out what is best for my situation and I always hit a problem at some stage. I know mostly Linksys routers so I was looking at different Linksys router models but I found that either the router is not supported, or it is supported but as k26 only, or that the recommended firmware is a beta, etc etc... So here is a slightly different question:

I am looking for a wireless N router that supports gigabit lan. For each of the following makers, what is the router that has the best DD-WRT support (speed, stability, big or mega version support):

-Linksys
-TP-Link
-D-Link
-Ubiquiti

Let me know if I should add other good vendors to my list above.

Thanks

Last edited by marioja on Sat Sep 15, 2012 18:24; edited 1 time in total
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 26, 27, 28  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 17 of 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: