Can't see other PCs in workgroup [solved]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Rockit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 20:10    Post subject: Can't see other PCs in workgroup [solved] Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm having problem to reach my second computer that is connected to the same router as my first computer.

First PC is Win7, and the second one is WinXP. Both are in same workgroup, and both have firewalls disabled, and both are connected through ethernet cable, so it's definitely not a wireless problem.

I've tried to ping the second PC, and reverse, but it say that the destination host is unreachable.

Is there something I need to explicitly enable to enable communication between those PC? It's a fresh flash, and my first time experience with dd-wrt, so I left almost all the settings unchanged.

Some information:
Router: TP-Link TL-WR842ND v1
Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/08/12) std
WAN Connection Type: Auto. DHCP

Confused

Edit: Solved. Solution: downgrading the firmware.

Last edited by Rockit on Fri Jun 29, 2012 20:41; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
you shouldn;t need to do anything for connected pcs and dd-wrt but before you get that far, lets do some basic checking.

did they both receive ip address in the same range from the dhcp server on the dd-wrt router?

you sure they have link and activity-lower right hand tray doesn;t say anything about network disconnected?

tried all the LAN ports in case one is dead?

substitute another switch or router for your dd-wrt one?

can you ping the router from both machines?

get to the internet from both pcs?
Rockit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

yes, both PCs are connected to the internet, and everything seems to work without a problem.

Here's some more info:
IP1 (WinXP): 192.168.1.100
IP2 (Win7): 192.168.1.105
Subnet Mask for both PC's: 255.255.255.0

Yes, I indeed can ping the router (192.168.1.1) from both PCs. I've tried to replug the cables, restart router, but it's still the same.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
sounds like you got the physical part working. Both pcs show up in the Status/Sysinfo page? was this a working router before you flashed it with dd-wrt?

from a software point of view, no reason why you shouldn;t be able to receive a ping from either machine if this a newly flashed router. i might suggest doing the 30-30-30 reset just to make sure the NVRAM is clean.

enable file sharing on both pcs and see if you can connect to each of them using Windows explorer

try to put \\192.168.1.100 or 105 in each others ip address and see if you can get atleast a network login box to show up.
Rockit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep, I can see both PCs in the "DHCP Clients" stat section. And yes, the router worked like a charm before, with a original firmware.

File sharing is also enabled on both PCs. I've tried to connect directly using the IPs, as you suggested, but it won't connect due to timeout error.

I think that it has to do something with the dd-wrt's configuration. I've noticed that a few bugs in the web interface that I've reported here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15388&p=694811
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
okay didn;t realize this was a newly supported device. because it;s in the general questions forum instead of the Atheros specific forum like the other thread, i falsely assumed that you were having a general network issue.
Rockit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I thought that this was a general network issue Smile So it can be a bug, right?

Is that router's hardware so different from the others, so someone had to *rewrite* everything (i.e. default configuration, and the web interface) again? Wink

P.S. Man, I spent like 4 hours trying to fix this problem... what a waste of time Confused
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
i thought the dd-wrt firmware was consistent across all hardware but I guess I was wrong too-turns out there is alot of variation out there and stuff works or breaks based on the revision level. however, your issue if it;s repeatable by a developer should be able to be fixed. sounds like a basic issue that could be iptables based.

as another thing you could try, try some other firmware revisions-starting with what is recommended and going up. could something specific with that version.

another thing to look at, check the vlan settings and make sure all your lan ports belong to the same vlan. probably nothing but worth a shot.

since this is your first foray into DD-WRT, i;d suggest sticking with an older model that;s been around and has generally good reviews. Since the dd-wrt project started out on broadcom based routers, they probably run stable and less issues.

goodluck!
Rockit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you. I actually bought this model because I wanted it to have as many features as possible, after installing dd-wrt. It does have 8MB flash memory, and it's relative cheap, so I thought that it would be a best buy.

I have a one more question, if you don't mind. In the Advanced Routing->Operating Mode it's set to Gateaway. Is that what it should be? Or should that be set to "Router"? Also, in Services->DNSMasq, there is enabled DNSMasq and No DNS Rebind, but not Local DNS. Isn't that the problem?

I wish that the documentation was more actual, at least. It seems to be pretty outdated. Twisted Evil

Edit: Btw, is it possible to connect to any PC through the WAN IP (i.e. public IP address)? I was unable to do this using original firmware, as there was some problem with loopback IIRC. Thank you again. Wink
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
your problem is prolly not the router. lan to lan traffic passes right through the switch and the routers processor never sees the data.

when the gateway changes, win 7 sets up a new network. Most of the time you do not even know it. This new network is set up as "public", meaning, very secure.

check both pc's network settings (workgroup, file & print sharing, network discovery, firewall settings, etc).

if you believe everything is properly set, then shut down EVERYTHING on the network including the router.

then power up the router. Once booted, start bringing each device up one by one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rockit wrote:
Thank you. I actually bought this model because I wanted it to have as many features as possible, after installing dd-wrt. It does have 8MB flash memory, and it's relative cheap, so I thought that it would be a best buy.

I have a one more question, if you don't mind. In the Advanced Routing->Operating Mode it's set to Gateaway. Is that what it should be? Or should that be set to "Router"? Also, in Services->DNSMasq, there is enabled DNSMasq and No DNS Rebind, but not Local DNS. Isn't that the problem?

I wish that the documentation was more actual, at least. It seems to be pretty outdated. Twisted Evil

Edit: Btw, is it possible to connect to any PC through the WAN IP (i.e. public IP address)? I was unable to do this using original firmware, as there was some problem with loopback IIRC. Thank you again. Wink

if your device is the only router connected to the internet on your LAN, then it should be set to router. if your router is behind another router that is connected to the internet then the one that is secondary(and all others) should be set to gateway.

it should be possible to connect to a pc on your lan using a wan address-you could set up a friendly name using ddns service(i use dyndns or no-ip.com) and port forward the application port to the pcs internal ip address. so for something like vnc, it;s port 5900, web server is port 80, ect....

as for your dns masq question-i don;t know the answer. somebody help this guy out.

you could connect to any pc
Rockit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
@barryware: I've checked everything at least 5 times, and file sharing is enabled, all firewalls are disabled, and workgroup is the same. Everything on both PCs seems to be fine.

Restarting didn't help at all, neither resetting to factory defaults.

Now I'm going to reinstall the OS on the second PC, but this time, I'll install the the Win7 on it. Hopefully, it'll help.

@madman999: It's actually not possible for me to connect to my HTTP server (that I'm running on my PC from where I'm trying to connect to the server) using a WAN IP, but only localhost IP. It always ends up in connection timeout error. However, I'm able to connect to that server using a proxy (e.g. anonymouse.org), so it's definitely not a issue on the server side. I'm also using a DDNS. Rolling Eyes
buffpatel
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Go to network and sharing center. Check to ensure that BOTH computers are in Home Networks. If one or both are listed as in Public Network or Work Network it usually screws up networking from my experience. Hope that fizes it.
Rockit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update: After reinstall, things are still the same.

Both PCs are joined into homegroup "WORKGROUP". Both have set "Network location" to "Home network".

Well, I guess that there is no way how to fix this, as it's 100% a bug in dd-wrt. Rolling Eyes
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
with regards to your webserver and port forwarding in general-does it/did it ever work at all? are you doing any other port forwards?

could it be that your router/firmware combo has what is sounding like a well known port forwarding bug that could or could not be fixed with a 1 line or 4 line entry in the Adminstration command section?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: