Linksys E3200 Here - see page 2 for test build!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 23:58    Post subject: Re: Wifi download issues? Reply with quote
sireone wrote:
Anyone noticed any WiFi download issues? I'm getting < 1Mbps on speedtest. Uploads are fine (~6-7Mbps). When I try on my LAN connected PC, I get ~20-30Mbps down. I'm running the dd-wrt.v24-18774_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv60k.bin fw. Also tried dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv60k.bin, same issue. My Wifi Settings are as follows:

Wireless mode: AP
WIreless Network Mode: NG-Mixed
Wireless Channel: 11
Channel Width: 20MHz
ACK Timming: 0

Advanced Settings are all default except TC Power is set to 84mW.

I find that with the power on these units less = more. < 71mW seems to work better than more. Not sure why.
Sponsor
Thandius
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok well if i need at least 17021 then the following newer build should work right ?

dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e3200.bin

Do you have to use the mini ? i thought with 16Mb flash you could use a larger install?

would one of these one work as well ?
dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv60k.bin
dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-nv60k.bin

also as far as flashing instructions i can see instructions for the 4200 and the 3000 but nothing for the 3200 in the wiki.

Which should i follow?

Last edited by Thandius on Sun Jun 17, 2012 13:48; edited 1 time in total
MrFidget
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
For me, the bigger, the better Very Happy

Any of those on an E3200 work OK. Still, the WiFi drivers should be the same from mini to maxi...so to speak.

/C
Garp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:01    Post subject: Re: Wifi download issues? Reply with quote
Had the same problem. Neither NG nor N only nor G only works correctly. Use Mixed an you should be fine. Must be a driver thingy.

MrFidget wrote:
sireone wrote:
Anyone noticed any WiFi download issues? I'm getting < 1Mbps on speedtest. Uploads are fine (~6-7Mbps). When I try on my LAN connected PC, I get ~20-30Mbps down. I'm running the dd-wrt.v24-18774_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv60k.bin fw. Also tried dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv60k.bin, same issue. My Wifi Settings are as follows:

Wireless mode: AP
WIreless Network Mode: NG-Mixed
Wireless Channel: 11
Channel Width: 20MHz
ACK Timming: 0

Advanced Settings are all default except TC Power is set to 84mW.

I find that with the power on these units less = more. < 71mW seems to work better than more. Not sure why.
eka1990
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

I am new not only on this forum but in the world on open source firmwares for wireless router.

Here is the deal.
I bought E3200 Linksys few day before (upgraded from wrt 54g). Thing is that i have garden 25x25 I needed better signal at my home, although I had fair signal with wrt 54g. I thought I will achive better signal if i upgrade to N and i did so. But big suprise signal is even worsw then it was. I did original firmware upgrade from Linksys but same problem. So i started to search and i find DD-wrt.

I am willing to flash dd-wrt firmware, but I am totally noob,although I did research I am confused what should i do (somewhere says do this elswhere says DO NOT DO THAT etc)

So my question is

Can anybody tell me what is the best (stable) firmware and procedure for my needs.

Sorry for interuption and unknowing.

Best regards.
callous
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
802.11N doesnt give you increased range. It is the same range as G.

For the pros here, is it possible to connect the 802.11A antenna with the 802.11G antenna to get greater range? Of course the 802.11a will be nonfunctional afterwards,but who uses 802.11a?
eka1990
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
So will I get better signal with dd wrz firmware?
callous
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
eka1990 wrote:
So will I get better signal with dd wrz firmware?

If the e3200 original firmware is already set at max recommended for the chipset then no. Pushing it higher using custom firmware would cause the transfer speed to be lower, as mentioned by several posts above you.

Return the router if you arent happy, if you are within the return period. I think the issue is that there is no solid antenna for the e3200. The e4xxx series does have 2 solid antenna so that is related.
CardinalFang
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been running 17201 for a few months. It's been very stable, but I'm frustrated that ddns is broken.

Can anyone recommend a good, stable build that supports ddns?
analog999
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been meaning to do an upgrade of my old 54G network, and I finally installed my new E3200 setup today. (Got 3 E3200's for about $40 each) Getting better wireless performance, but not totally impressed. Not really looking to DD-WRTize the router, as I'd like to have the 5ghz option for other devices in the future, plus I've read about problems with the DDNS stuff which I do need. Hoping someone can help me make some improvements.

Went from:

(all of these running various builds of dd-wrt)
Router - WRT54g v5
Wireless Repeater Bridge 1 - WRT54gs (probably v1)
Wireless Repeater Bridge 2 - WRT54g v2
Wireless Repeater Bridge 3 - WRT54g v2

WAN Speeds were fine (12Mbps about what I'm paying for). LAN speeds were about 10Mbps in the bandwidth monitor between PC's connected through the bridges. Ugh, very slow.

--------

To:

Router - E3200 stock Linksys
Wireless Repeater Bridge 1 - E3200 running 18777
Wireless Repeater Bridge 2 - E3200 running 18777
Wireless Repeater Bridge 3 - WRT54g v2

WAN speeds are fine (12Mbps). LAN speeds between the two E3200 bridges is about 20Mbps (still slow IMO). LAN speed between one pc on the E3200 bridge, and a PC wired directly into the stock Linksys is about 35Mbps. (A bit better, but jeez..)

--------

I would have thought maybe I could push close to 50-75Mbps bandwidth or more? Anyone have any ideas on what might help?

I've already:

1) Verified that the new bridges are connecting at 100+ as high as 144 when doing big transfers

2) Dropped transmit power on the two E3200 bridges to 40mw

3) Set encryption to AES only (using WPA2 Personal)

4) Tried using "N only" on the bridges. Slows things down slower than the 54g bridges! Leaving at standard "Mixed", haven't tried other settings.

5) Set up the router to broadcast on channel #2. I am the only channel 2 in the area, and the closest channel being used outside of my network is #6.

Am I crazy here? Is this all I should expect?

Thanks...
Das_OSi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

Am I crazy here? Is this all I should expect?

Maybe this is really all you can get.
I'm using the following config:
20MHz Channel Width, N-Only, Frameburst enabled, Preamble = short, ACK Timing = 0, WPA2-AES, TX-Power = 56mW
Free Channel = no go, a lot of noise around here.
I achieve speeds of 35 - 40 Mbits with dd-wrt,
maybe there will be a little bit more using the 40MHz Channel Width?
analog999
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Das_OSi wrote:

Maybe this is really all you can get.
I'm using the following config:
20MHz Channel Width, N-Only, Frameburst enabled, Preamble = short, ACK Timing = 0, WPA2-AES, TX-Power = 56mW
Free Channel = no go, a lot of noise around here.
I achieve speeds of 35 - 40 Mbits with dd-wrt,
maybe there will be a little bit more using the 40MHz Channel Width?

So I changed my settings after reading your comments and I went to 20Mhz only (was using mixed on the router), Mixed type, Frameburst enabled on both bridges, short preamble, 0 sensitivity range and set the power to 56mw. I installed inSSIDer and found that there was a more open channel gap around 8 & 9 so I set it to #9. (mine is obviously the matrix ports in the attachment)

There is about a 20% boost in my speed after doing this. I'm now clocking about 25Mbs on average for large file transfers, with spikes up to 40Mbs, which I had never seen before now. It is certainly faster, but I still am shocked it isn't higher. I'm sure there is some extra overhead since I am going through two bridges. I initially bought these because they were cheap and supported the dual band and I wanted to use the two bridges on 5ghz. I hope that something will change and I can enable it one day. For now I suppose it is still better to be copying 1.5gb files in about 10 minutes versus 30-40.

wirelesstraffic.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.35 KB
 Viewed:  19993 Time(s)

wirelesstraffic.gif

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm thinking you still have channel overlap interference, you should show the whole inSSIDer pic so i can see what all channels and how close they are to you. I'm thinking that even at channel 9 - you are still enduring bleed over interference from the channel 6 user.

Nothing major, but the slight bit of bleed over may be what is causing your flux in speeds as well. I also read on here to enable frame burst, and used it for the longest time, then decided one day to turn it off and it actually helped the performance which may be something to take in consideration here as well.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
analog999
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
I'm thinking you still have channel overlap interference, you should show the whole inSSIDer pic so i can see what all channels and how close they are to you.

Thanks for looking at it for me, but I'm not sure what you mean. Are you looking for the Time Graph or do you want to see all of the text in the upper table, a taller version of what I posted, or something else?

Thinking about what you said, I did a little more testing. First I set my router to auto for the channel, and it picked 11, which I think is strange since there are plenty of other networks on 11. Transfering large files on the LAN was choppy and probably averaged about 12Mbs.

I then decided to channel 1, and it was better, probably averaging around 18Mbs, but not great. So then I went to channel 2 and this is about where I'm at - I would say average about 24. Can anyone explain the drops in outgoing bandwidth? All my other PCs on my network (5 total on right now) are idle now except the PC I'm using and the one I'm trying to copy to. This happens at various times of the day though, it isn't unique to this graph. This is a little choppier of a graph than regular.

I also tried disabling Frame Burst, and it didn't seem to make a noticeable difference. Since I don't have actual numbers to track, I can only use my gut and I would say that for me having it on might be slightly better.

Here is also a taller version of the competition traffic graph. Matrix2 (green) is the one that is the router. matrixk is the bridge I'm on. Matrixj is the 54g bridge which doesn't really need high speed LAN transfers, and for some reason matrixt which is the one I do most of my copying to isn't being shown at the moment. This definitely makes my signals look cleaner than when it was on 9, and I think I'm going to stick with 2 unless someone thinks I shouldn't.

I've got another question for anyone interested, I thought these things were supposed to do 300 Mbps? At least according to the Linksys website:
Quote:
Superior wireless speed

The Linksys E3200 connects all your computers, tablets, Internet-ready TVs, game consoles and other devices at transfer rates up to 300 + 300 Mbps for an optimal home network experience.

wirelesstraffic.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.96 KB
 Viewed:  19914 Time(s)

wirelesstraffic.gif

wirelessbandwidth.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.93 KB
 Viewed:  19915 Time(s)

wirelessbandwidth.gif

Das_OSi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
matrixk is the bridge I'm on. Matrixj is the 54g bridge which doesn't really need high speed LAN transfers

With bridge u mean repeater bridge?
It think so, because inSSIDer will only show Access Points, maybe a configuration as Client Bridge would be more suitable for your needs (less interferences i suspect).

Quote:
I've got another question for anyone interested, I thought these things were supposed to do 300 Mbps?

Only with a channel width of 40 MHz and WPA2 AES Encryption.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration
Quote:
Even if you are connecting to your N router at 130 mbps or 270 mbps, actual throughput will be roughly 60% of the link rate due to modulation and error correction
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 30, 31, 32  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 14 of 32
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: