Starting from scratch with VPN, need recommendations!

frogexaggerator
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 17:20    Post subject: Starting from scratch with VPN, need recommendations! Reply with quote
Ok, I will be spending the summer abroad and would like to tunnel into my home network while I am gone. For the time being, I have a PPTP server running on my iMac, but the iMac is old and getting unstable, and I have not been able to connect for some time while testing it remotely.

So I'm thinking that the way to go is to hardwire a standalone router to handle the VPN connection.

I am not a total newbie to VPN, but I would like very much to keep it simple so that I stand the greatest chance of having it be straightforward and stable. Once I'm gone, I won't have any opportunity to troubleshoot it so keeping it uncomplicated is key.

The other factor is that on the OTHER end I know I can simply use my laptop to handle the VPN connection, but there might be a few other devices on the remote local network that would like to connect so I'm thinking that at the same time I set up the VPN server device, I get yet another router to handle the remote vpn connection and feed it to the devices on the remote local network.

So with all that in mind, if you guys could recommend me a router model (two of the same thing, or two different ones if there are different routers that are better at both VPN server and VPN client)!

And also some advice as to whether or not I should use PPTP again or venture into OpenVPN or something like that.

The remote will be in Europe, so ideally something that can handle 220V, but most things do these days with a plug adapter. I just don't want to drag a voltage converter if I don't have to!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Sponsor
routvol
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
check my config and hardware and see if it suits your needs.

since you stated that you won't be able to troubleshoot once you are gone, what happens if you have a power outage at the server side ;-?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: