Can't get routers to connect - OLSR

Mavrande
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 18:20    Post subject: Can't get routers to connect - OLSR Reply with quote
I have a handful of Linksys E2500s with the Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/08/12) mega. I have attempted to follow the Mesh Networking with OLSR wiki page to set them up. Each router has set in Wireless mode Adhoc, G-only, and same SSID and channel, set to unbridged, an IP within 10.0.0.0/8 and subnet mask 255.0.0.0. In advanced routing I have selected OLSR Router and added eth0 as an interface. I am able to connect to a router wired and can ping the router as 192.168.1.1 and as its 10.0.0.0/24 IP, but cannot ping any other router. The wireless status page on the router I can reach shows no other "wireless nodes" and there are a handful of RX and TX packets. Any suggestions?
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
can u write in a more readable way?

read:

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I have included all of the relevant information, however I will attempt to restate the facts and hopefully it will be more clear. I have reviewed the links you have given.

Routers are E2500, I have flashed the 6/8/12 build of the mega firmware.

I have read the OLSR Wiki article and followed the instructions under setup. I configured 2 routers in this way. In Wireless->Basic Settings I have given the routers different IPs from the same 10.0.0.0/24 subnet.

I followed the instructions for Setup->Advanced Routing, selecting interface eth0.

I copied and executed the script listed on the wiki page under Enabling NAT Routing.

I plugged my laptop in to the LAN 1 port of one router. My laptop successfully DHCPed as 192.168.1.111.

I was able to ping the LAN address of the router I was plugged in to (192.168.1.1). I was able to ping the address set on the wireless page (10.0.0.1). I was not able to ping the address set on the wireless page for the second router (10.0.0.9). I expected to be able to ping the second router.

When I connect to the web interface of the router, I can see under the Status->Wireless page that there are no listed "Wireless Nodes". I expected the other router to be listed on this page.

Is there anything which is still unclear?
jilebi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also have the same problem. OLSR is not working. I have also posted earlier, but did not get much response.

In addition, the instructions for NAT in the Wiki are also not working. Is NAT working for you i.e. can you access the Internet (gateway interface) or ping a host outside the network, when connected directly to the router via ad-hoc wireless?

Can some guru help to make OLSR work as well as have NAT work with OLSR?

Thanks.

Mavrande wrote:
I think I have included all of the relevant information, however I will attempt to restate the facts and hopefully it will be more clear. I have reviewed the links you have given.

Routers are E2500, I have flashed the 6/8/12 build of the mega firmware.

I have read the OLSR Wiki article and followed the instructions under setup. I configured 2 routers in this way. In Wireless->Basic Settings I have given the routers different IPs from the same 10.0.0.0/24 subnet.

I followed the instructions for Setup->Advanced Routing, selecting interface eth0.

I copied and executed the script listed on the wiki page under Enabling NAT Routing.

I plugged my laptop in to the LAN 1 port of one router. My laptop successfully DHCPed as 192.168.1.111.

I was able to ping the LAN address of the router I was plugged in to (192.168.1.1). I was able to ping the address set on the wireless page (10.0.0.1). I was not able to ping the address set on the wireless page for the second router (10.0.0.9). I expected to be able to ping the second router.

When I connect to the web interface of the router, I can see under the Status->Wireless page that there are no listed "Wireless Nodes". I expected the other router to be listed on this page.

Is there anything which is still unclear?
Mavrande
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
jilebi wrote:
I also have the same problem. OLSR is not working. I have also posted earlier, but did not get much response.

In addition, the instructions for NAT in the Wiki are also not working. Is NAT working for you i.e. can you access the Internet (gateway interface) or ping a host outside the network, when connected directly to the router via ad-hoc wireless?

Can some guru help to make OLSR work as well as have NAT work with OLSR?

Thanks.

I do not know, my application is an isolated network.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
upgrade to the latest beta
give us some screenshots.
and some info from the olsrd status page

i also updated the wiki page
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Mesh_Networking_with_OLSR#DD-WRT_.3E_v.23_SP3

&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah-ha, I did not know that there was an OLSRd status page. Attached are the "advanced routing" screenshots. More follow.
Mavrande
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here are the 2 different wireless->basic settings pages, as well as the setup->basic settings page, which is the same for both.
Mavrande
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
And finally the OLSRd status page.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
as u can see: no connection. have u tested the adhoc link?! DO SO like i mentioned in the wiki!
&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Sash,

Thanks for the update on the Wiki.

Are the "Enable NAT" instructions on Wiki valid or they also need to be updated? I have followed them to the comma, and NAT is not working in OLSR Router mode with those 3 iptables commands in the Wiki.

Many thanks.

Sash wrote:
upgrade to the latest beta
give us some screenshots.
and some info from the olsrd status page

i also updated the wiki page
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Mesh_Networking_with_OLSR#DD-WRT_.3E_v.23_SP3
Mavrande
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
as u can see: no connection. have u tested the adhoc link?! DO SO like i mentioned in the wiki!

I have now, having performed a 30/30/30 reset on each unit, setting "ad-hoc", "N-only", and the same SSID and channel. I have made no other changes. I connected my laptop via cable to one router. The laptop cannot ping the other router. The other router does not show up on the status->wireless page. So evidently ad hoc does not even work. How can I debug this?
cmobley7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you ever get this to work. I bought 3 ASUS RT-56Rs, set them up as outlined here, https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=309282&highlight=olsr+setup. However, while they see each other, I haven't been able to ping them through telenet and can't see the OLSR network from the wifi card on my laptop or desktop. I would appreciate any help you are able to give.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: