Joined: 21 Dec 2011
|Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:16 Post subject: Getting Transmission (and DNSMasq) running on RT-N13U B1
|I want to have these two running on the router
Of course, there are already guides for these:
0. Transmission: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N13U,_page_2
1. DNSMasq: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DNSMasq_as_DHCP_server
However, from reading the guides vs the discussions in the forums, it seems to be that the guides are no longer entirely accurate and many steps have become obsolete/redundant with newer firmware.
My first priority is getting Transmission running, and the guides are a bit outdated, and hence I have to ask these questions:
1. Is it still necessary to have two different partitions on the external USB drive: one unformatted, and they other with the formatted data partition?
It seems like this is no longer necessary if you have a single EXT3 partition, and a separate directory can be used instead of the separate partition (say, /opt/torrents) ?
2. I found this guide very interesting: http://www.luminaria.cc/en/dd-wrt-home-server-part-2-bittorrent-client-and-safe-unmount
However, it requires me to setup a swap partition: can't do that as it will trash my sdcard!
3. I would love to have the feature of using the WPS button to mount and un-mount the USB Drives, as in the above guide
4. My RT-N13U B1 is already flashed with DD-WRT and running great as a Wlan Repeater. Which firmware will give me the least amount of friction in getting Transmission up and writing to an external 32GB drive connected via a card reader?
I am guessing the Transmission daemon from Optware will allow me to pause/restart torrents?
I would rather leave my current settings up and running (last time I configured, it took me a whole evening to reach a compromise: documented here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=148568) if that can be helped.