New Netgear n750 (WNDR4000) - Pics inside -test build page 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
hcombee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I encountered the same problem with the guest WLAN.
According to the wiki on Multiple WLAN's (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs) you have to put this in the routers startup command list:

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o `get_wanface` -j SNAT --to `nvram get wan_ipaddr`

It adds a NAT rule so the source address of your guest wlan user is translated to the WAN address of your router when going to the internet.

I am still trying to determine how i can block access from the guest wlan to my private network.

Regards,
Hans.
Sponsor
begunfx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
hcombee wrote:
I encountered the same problem with the guest WLAN.
According to the wiki on Multiple WLAN's (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs) you have to put this in the routers startup command list:

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o `get_wanface` -j SNAT --to `nvram get wan_ipaddr`

It adds a NAT rule so the source address of your guest wlan user is translated to the WAN address of your router when going to the internet.

I am still trying to determine how i can block access from the guest wlan to my private network.

Regards,
Hans.

Heya Hans,
thanks much for the response. Actually, I found the same thing you posted here in another post that explains why we have to put that iptables statement in the startup. Apparently there is a bug in firmware that is >17000 that requires this statement.

Here's the other post:
www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=154038

As for my other requests, I did some more research and apparently 17990 is considered a "stable" release for newer routers. However, as many have posted on this forum, and I've found myself, there are some basic stuff in this build that don't seem to work too well (ie. 5GHz antenna power etc.). Also, like many in this forum, I too had trouble with changing dd-wrt firmware. I went from stock to 18777, but when I had trouble with wlans and bridging I reflashed to 17990. Now it seems I can't reflash to any other firmware. I always end up back at 17990. Unless someone has another suggestion, it looks like I'm gonna have to go back to stock first them go to 18777.

As for isolating your guest network as a separate subnet. this ipables statement is what I used on my previous router:

iptables -I FORWARD -i br1 -o br0 -m state --state NEW -j DROP

This is also located in the tutorial for wlans.

Cheers.

UPDATE! So I went back to the factory stock firmware, and when I tried to re-flash to DD-wrt, I got a firmware update error (couldn't update). The only version that worked was the 17990 build (the one I was trying to upgrade from). Needless to say, after a lot of testing, I finally got to build 18777, and I might have a reason why people (myself included) were having trouble flashing between dd-wrt versions. It turns out the permissions of the .bin and .chk files for builds later than 17990 were really restricted while build 17990 had permissions set to read/write everyone (chmod 777). So if you are on linux or mac open a terminal and goto your dd-wrt files and type chmod 777 dd-wrt.name.of.your.build and try flashing again. On Windows, open the properties of the files and change the permissions there (I believe). It just might work. Smile

UPDATE 2! Okay so after adding the additional iptables line to the firewall script, my guest network is working. As for the terrible power for the 5ghz band, it seems that you have to play around with the power and other settings to get the best power out of it. I also noticed that on the 2.4ghz band some of the wireless channels seem to not work. When I set my 2.4ghz channel to 5 my wifi network disappears, however if I set it to 8 or 9 it shows up fine. I think a lot of the complaints from people on here regarding the 5ghz power setting is that in the past when I've installed dd-wrt, with most default settings the power output works great, but for some reason on this particular router, it seems that you have to do a fair amount of tweaking to get the output that you expect (this also means that my previous comment about build 17990 might be inaccurate and the 5ghz band may work just fine). However, after the amount of work and time I had to go through to get this stuff working, I will probably stay with build 18777 unless I run into another problem etc. Hope this long winded post helps others.
Bjur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi I'm thinking about buying this router instead of my DIR-655 because DD-WRT compatibility, but can someone confirm that there's a build working who hasn't the problems listed from o-l-a-v earlier:

- 5ghz wifi don't work (Unless changing channel?), if it works it's unstable
- Port-forwarding issues
- Only 100mb through LAN
- Lots of TX-errors
- Can't use USB as DLNA-server

I'm especially conserned about the 5 Ghz and 100 Mbit through LAN. Has these issues been fixed?

Also does VPN work?
tempestdash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="begunfx"]
hcombee wrote:
UPDATE 2! Okay so after adding the additional iptables line to the firewall script, my guest network is working. As for the terrible power for the 5ghz band, it seems that you have to play around with the power and other settings to get the best power out of it.

Can you share any of your tweaks? I have no idea where to begin tweaking the 5Ghz radio to get better reception. At this point, I have the router sitting ON TOP OF my laptop and still getting 1 bar on the 5Ghz radio.
cybochimp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi All. Thanks for all the info in this thread. With it (and the Clevar Me post - http://clevarme.blogspot.com/2011/12/getting-dd-wrt-on-netgear-n750-wndr4000.html) I've successfully set up dd-wrt build 18777 on my new WNDR4000.

I ran into a couple gotchas that I thought I'd share. I have a VERY customised setup with multiple VLANs, bridges and WLANs. Associating the physical ethernet ports with the VLAN config I wanted wasn't as straight forward as it was when I did the same on my Linksys WRT610N. For those unfamiliar with this type of setup, please refer to the Switched Ports page (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports). Out of the box, here's the config:

nvram set port0vlans="2"
nvram set port1vlans="1"
nvram set port2vlans="1"
nvram set port3vlans="1"
nvram set port4vlans="1"
nvram set port5vlans="1 2 16"
nvram set vlan0ports="1 2 3 4 5*"
nvram set vlan1ports="0 1 2 3 8*"
nvram set vlan2ports="4 8"

What's confusing is the vlan0ports and vlan1ports configs. From the Switched_Ports page, the vlan0ports config is what you would typically find on a 100Mb switch, while the vlan1ports config is what you would find on a Gb switch. What I THINK I know is that on this switch the vlan0ports config is irrelevant.

Here is what I believe to be a solid mapping of the physical switch ports to the config variables and the GUI:

Code:
Physical  vlan#ports  port#vlan  GUI
1            0                4              4
2            1                3              3
3            2                2              2
4            3                1              1

So, for example, if you create VLAN 7 you would use the following configs to set physical port 2 to VLAN 7:
nvram set port3vlans="7"
nvram set vlan7ports="1 8"
nvram set port5vlans="1 2 7 16"
nvram commit

Also, something that drove me to drink for a bit was the tidbit from the Multiple WLANs page (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs):

Enable NAT on the WAN port to correct a bug in builds over 17000:
Code:

I hope someone else gets some value out of my drinking. Very Happy
TedBPhx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 21:44    Post subject: iPad login to 5 Ghz problem Reply with quote
WNDR4000
v24-sp2 18777 k26 big

router is conected to:
Motorola 6120 cable modem
PC
Hard wired network printer
wired to gigabit switch which connects to a tv, bluray, and AV receiver
New to DD-WRT. The WNDR is 2 months old works fine in stock mode.

Read this thread end to end
Read the Peacock thread
Read the Clevar doc
No problems installing. Yeah!

All the hard wired stuff connects
only WiFi device is an iPad 3.

Can't login to the 5GHZ radio.
Connects to the 2.4 no problem
but never accepts the password for the 5GHZ
The 5GHZ shows up on the iPad

originally tried the 19342 release but had the same issue so I flashed to the 18777 that seems to be the latest working reported in this thread.
Same issue
did the 30/30/30 reset before and after each flash

The status page on the DD-WRT web interface shows a signal quality of 76% for the wl1 - it also shows the MAC address of the iPad. They can see each other just won't accept the password.

I set the net work mode to N-only 5GHZ, tried NG mixed
tried the auto channel and channels 40 and 154 - no dice.

Security is set to WPA2 Personal
same on both 2.4 and 5
same password
iPad sees both
logs in to the 2.4
but not the 5

Haven't changed any of the advanced wireless settings - don't know enough.

Want DD-wrt for the vpn while out and about with the iPad on alien wifi networks.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by TedBPhx on Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:52; edited 1 time in total
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 20:10; edited 1 time in total
TedBPhx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, they each have their own unique SSIDs.

Thanks for the thought
TedBPhx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 13:01    Post subject: IPad password solved Reply with quote
Solved - mostly
Read The Peacock Thread, again, closely. Found the statement that Apple devices seem to work best if you disable, uncheck, the three boxes pertaining to dnsmasq on the basic setup page. Did so, still won't accept the password. (Only found two boxes)

Changed WPA algorithm from the default TKIP to AES
No go

Since the 2.4 wl0 page and the 5 wl1 page both show the iPad's mac address I wondered if DD-WRT wouldn't allow the 5 login since it had already seen that mac as a 2.4?

Told the iPad to forget the 2.4, powered it off.
Disabled the 2.4 in DD-WRT
Rebooted the router
Connected fine.

On to forward a couple of ports for WOL and fingerprint ( runs as a PC service, fakes the iPad into believing the network printer is an AirPrint).

Then VPN!
TedBPhx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:47    Post subject: Can't change 5GHZ N-Only Channel off AUTO Reply with quote
Wndr4000 sp2 K26 r18777 big
Network PC, iPad, wired ->printer, switch, tv, AVR
wl1 5GHZ is set to N-only wpa2 aes

When my wireless telephone w/base is used I lose the wireless connection on the iPad.

Ah ha! Channel conflict. Status page shows auto channel is 151. But the wireless setup page won't let me change it off auto. The channel list shows up in the drop down but as soon as I hit Apply or Save it reverts to AUTO and stays on 151.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ted
JohnnyCanuck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've seen a couple of reports in this thread that DD-WRT breaks gigabit LAN and only allows connections at 100 Mb/s.

Can anyone confirm? I've been running DD-WRT on all my previous Linksys routers, but just purchased the 4000 the other day and would like to move to DD-WRT, but absolutely need gigabit LAN.

Thanks.
matt92h
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 16:28    Post subject: Wireless LED's Reply with quote
Hello, On the WNDR4000, Both the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz LED's do not blink when data is being transmitted/received. I have tried to fix this using gpio commands without success. In the original firmware this was working. My firmware version is "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/08/12) big - build 19342"

Thanks,
Matt
danshyu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
JohnnyCanuck wrote:
I've seen a couple of reports in this thread that DD-WRT breaks gigabit LAN and only allows connections at 100 Mb/s.

Can anyone confirm? I've been running DD-WRT on all my previous Linksys routers, but just purchased the 4000 the other day and would like to move to DD-WRT, but absolutely need gigabit LAN.

Thanks.

On 18777. Gigabit LAN works for me without issues.
Zhent
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I am a first-time user of DD-WRT, trying to understand exactly how it all works. I have read the stickies and I believe followed the instructions, but I am running into an issue with my wireless - about every 18 hours, the 2.4 wireless will simply die. The router continues working, I can use my PC, but the network doesn't show up. If I go in and update something in the settings, it will start up again.

I have a WNDR-4000 with build 18777-big that I downloaded from the wiki. The wireless is encrypted with WPA-2 Personal.

Should I have downloaded from this thread instead - I did not realize that the two weren't the same when I started this.

Thanks for any help you can provide - losing the internet every day is pretty frustrating, even if it is only the wireless!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zhent wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am a first-time user of DD-WRT, trying to understand exactly how it all works. I have read the stickies and I believe followed the instructions, but I am running into an issue with my wireless - about every 18 hours, the 2.4 wireless will simply die. The router continues working, I can use my PC, but the network doesn't show up. If I go in and update something in the settings, it will start up again.

I have a WNDR-4000 with build 18777-big that I downloaded from the wiki. The wireless is encrypted with WPA-2 Personal.

Should I have downloaded from this thread instead - I did not realize that the two weren't the same when I started this.

Thanks for any help you can provide - losing the internet every day is pretty frustrating, even if it is only the wireless!

The 18777 should be fine for you, the one in thread is the initial test build - which should always be used with caution. Builds in the threads are very much test builds, once they have established support for the unit, they make a build that will go into the dd-wrt ftp, which should be functional. 18777 and on should be a fairly safe build for that router.

On your wireless issue, i'm not sure what is going on and there is not enough info provided to do any real troubleshooting with.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 31, 32, 33  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 19 of 33
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: