PPTP Client succeeds in dialing in, does nothing else

stoneeh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 16:32    Post subject: PPTP Client succeeds in dialing in, does nothing else Reply with quote
I have a Linksys E2000 configured as a client bridge. I also enabled PPTP client to be able to access my home network.

Now when I access my VPN server (a Windows Server 2008 machine) via another internet connection I have available here, it shows the PPTP client as dialed in, and that's about it. I cannot access the network my VPN server is in. I cannot even ping the IP address the PPTP client gets from the server.

Is it normal that the PPTP client from dd-wrt does connect successfully, and then goes on to offer no additional functionality at all?

Normally, when I use a VPN client to access a network, it actually allows me access to that network.
Sponsor
stoneeh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
So what do you suppose the easiest solution would be? My current setup here is that I have a modem with WLAN capability (Thomson 870) set up as an AP with the E2000 connecting to it in client bridge mode, and my computer connecting to the E2000 via cable. I don't mind changing that configuration, as long as I get the VPN client to work on my E2000.. that is the top priority. Note that I also have an internal PCI WLAN adapter in my PC, so I can also connect to all devices via wireless.
stoneeh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oooookay.. I'm kinda dizzy now, but here goes:

The E2000 is now in AP mode. It is connected via cable from its WAN port to one of the LAN ports of the modem. My computer is connected to the E2000 via WLAN.

I did not discover any possibility for bridging on my modem, so the IP configuration is now as follows:

The modem's LAN IP is 192.168.9.71. The E2000's WAN interface has 192.168.9.70, with its gateway set to 192.168.9.71 and the DNS servers to those provided by my ISP. The E2000's LAN/WLAN side is 192.168.8.70. My computer has the IP 192.168.8.11, with its gateway and DNS both set to 192.168.8.70.

The PPTP client still manages to connect successfully and receives an IP via DHCP in the 192.168.10.x range. Now I have tried any settings on my computer, and can reach neither the IP in that subnet that the PPTP client has, nor any other in that subnet.

I am obviously still doing something wrong. Please advise.
stoneeh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
No I can't reach/ping the VPN server from there. Right now though I've driven (through a beautiful thunderstorm btw, nothing like driving in a summer night and watching the lightning dance) to the location where my VPN server is. Meaning I am (physically) in the 192.168.10.x network now.

Yes, the E2000 has a session here. Connected since 2+ hours, at least that's looking good. I also can ping it from here (from any computer in this subnet), AND, more surprisingly, if I enter its IP into the browser I get connected to the dd-wrt config page.

Must really be something with routing, mustn't it? Please continue to help me though, I'm really a zero at routing Wink
stoneeh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah. Other clients can access the network via VPN just fine.
stoneeh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay. Seems like I can't use this config anyway. My VPN server is connected to the internet via an ISP that forces a reconnect and assigns a new IP every 8 hours. I solve this via a DDNS service, which works fine for the rest of my needs. The E2000 with dd-wrt doesn't seem to reconnect though every time the IP of the VPN server changes.
stoneeh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
To circumvent that problem, I now do it the opposite way. I set up a PPTP server on my E2000. Enabled PPTP passthrough on my modem and did a port forward, port 1723 to 192.168.9.70, and everything went fine from the beginning. I can dial into here and ping and access clients, and since I have a fixed IP here with no reconnects the connection will/should always stay on, so I'll always have access when I want to.

You were very helpful eibgrad, thanks for your efforts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: