HOWTO: Set TP-Link TL-WR841N V7 as Wireless Repeater Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
tlhIngan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 21:55    Post subject: HOWTO: Set TP-Link TL-WR841N V7 as Wireless Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
Having a router acting as a Wireless Repeater Bridge is very useful, as it will connect that router to your main router (called the access point, or AP) wirelessly, extend the range of your wireless network and allow computers connected to whichever router to see each other.

For this router, it is best to completely disregard the Wiki about Repeater Bridge (current version as of this writing is dated April 9th 2012). Grab the instructions for Client Mode from here. We will just need to change Step 14, change the DHCP configuration and then add a Virtual Interface. For the TL-WR841N, I've been using DD-WRT build 17201, which is available for V3 (click here), V5 (click here) and V7 (click here).
Below are screenshots of the DD-WRT WebGUI to help guide you through key steps of the instructions from the walkthrough link above. I've put a red dot next to everything you need to change from default.

Here, set the Security Mode, algorythm and password exactly as on your access point (the other router connected directly to your modem). People seem to recommend "WPA2 Personal" mode with "AES" algorythm.

Here, set the Wireless Mode to Client. For the Wireless Network Mode, pick whatever you need from the list, but people seem to recommend against mixed mode. The SSID needs to be exactly what it is for your access point. Put a checkmark on the box for advanced settings, this will display the rest of the page. Pick your country from the list to make sure your router doesn't interfere with other appliances (each country has it's own rules and limits for broadcast power and usable frequencies).

Here, the connection type is "Automatic Connection - DHCP", and then turn STP off. The router name and host name can be anything at all that you want, they can even be the same as eachother but preferably something different from your access point. The host name you give to this router is what will show-up in the list of connection of your access point, so it's useful to chose something you will recognize. You can always name it for the room it's in or what devices are typically connected to it.
The following is what we will be changing from Client Mode. For the IP address, it needs to be in the same subnet as your access point, but in a different range. If you are running DDWRT on your access point, than the default configuration will have your access point at 192.168.1.1 assigning IP addresses from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.149. Therefore, you should set the Local IP Address for the Wireless Repeater Bridge (the router we are configuring right now) to 192.168.1.150, and the Start IP Address to 192.168.1.150 (or 192.168.1.151 if you are paranoid Very Happy ).

Remember to click Apply when you are done, and then leave your router alone for a few minutes. It needs to connect to your access point and figure things out. Once this is done, we will setup a Virtual Interface so that other devices can connect to this router wirelessly (that's the whole point, isn't it?)

Go to "Wireless - Basic Settings", click "Add" and then fill in the Wireless Network Name for the Virtual Interface with the exact same Wireless Network Name that you used for your access point (even the case must match), then click "Save".

Now got to "Wireless - Wireless Security" and fill in the security information for the Virtual Interface exactly like your access point, then click "Save".

Click "Apply Settings" and once again leave your router alone for a few minutes. Every time you hit "Apply" it needs to reconnect to your access point and refigure things out. Once the router is done reconfiguring itself, you will have a Wireless Repeater Bridge. The 2 routers will be connected wirelessly to each other (no need for a 25 foot CAT5 cable running through your house anymore), devices will only see 1 wireless network but will connect to the router with the strongest signal, and devices connected to different routers should be able to see each other. An easy way to know which router a device is connected to is to look at it's IP address to see in which range it is (default configuration of DDWRT will have the access point assign IP addresses from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.149, and these instructions will have your Wireless Repeater Bridge assign IP addresses from 192.168.1.150 to 192.168.1.199).

Last edited by tlhIngan on Fri Feb 10, 2017 0:47; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
ecarlevaro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 23:12    Post subject: DHCP Servers Reply with quote
Great work @tlhIngan!

I'm not an expert, but i think is inconvenient to have two DHCP Servers on the same subnet.

If you disable the DHCP server on the router #2, only the router #1 gives IP address to all devices on the net. So, on the router #2, DHCP Server should be disabled and the Local Ip Address of the router, out of the range of DHCP server of router #1.
For example, if router #1 is on 192.168.1.1 and DHCP server gives IP on the range 192.168.1.100-150, router #2 Local IP Address could be 192.168.1.2 and all clients connected to router #1 or #2, will have IPs on the range 192.168.1.100-150.

tlhIngan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip!
I'll try that if I have any problems.
Smile

Last edited by tlhIngan on Fri Feb 10, 2017 0:47; edited 1 time in total
MehdiAnis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:45    Post subject: Problem connecting PCs TP-Link TL-WR841ND v5 as Client Reply with quote
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/19/12) std - build 18777

I have main router connected to ISP's cable modem - Linksys's 3600 - DHCP enabled. IP:192.168.0 to 128

I can setup this TP-LINK router as client or client bridged mode and access internet. I have a desktop pc (win8), roku and a LAN printer connected to TP-Link router through CAT-5.

Pic:-
Other posting: http://serverfault.com/questions/432025/cannot-access-lan-printer Here one person suggested, TP-Link uses ATHEROS chipset, which is the problem.

I just can't access the printer from the desktop pc even they both connected to TP-LINK router. Any PC connected to the Linksys router can see the printer just fine.
mirza
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
tlhIngan i just signed up here to thank you, u can not imagine how stressed i was for months and couldnt figureout the right config for my 2nd router as a repeator...your step by step walkthrough rocks man! thank you so much and keep rocking! now my tp link tlwr841 works fine as a repeator with my first router.
GRATITUDE! Very Happy
mirza
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
and btw my ddwrt build is DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/21/10) std
(SVN revision 15778) and this config works perfect on it!
cheers!
tlhIngan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks man!
It's always nice to be appreciated!
Very Happy
Axl_Mas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
How can I use emule and utorrent with my Wireless Repeater Bridge?
With this guide I set up without problems the repeater,web navigation is very good, but I can't have a full connectable client with my P2P programs.
With the source router i change the NAT settings and all is good, with the repeater i try every setting but nothing, I have always closed ports on my P2P programs.
Please help me, and excuse for my horrible english
Axl_Mas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
No one can help me? I think that is very import to be able to use Peer to peer programs with the repeater, the answer sure would be interesting even for other users!
LightMoon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Axl_Mas wrote:
With this guide I set up without problems the repeater,web navigation is very good, but I can't have a full connectable client with my P2P programs.
With the source router i change the NAT settings and all is good, with the repeater i try every setting but nothing, I have always closed ports on my P2P programs.

That sounds interesting.
seemebreakthis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Axl_Mas wrote:

Hi - I do not have the same router and I set up the repeater bridge in a different way than the one described here.. but I do run P2P programs behind my router without problems and the trick for me is to go to the 'security' tab in dd-wrt on your repeater bridge router, uncheck the 'filter multicast' checkbox, save settings, then on the same screen 'disable SPI firewall' altogether, then hit apply.

see if that works.
CheVix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey there,

I also got some problems with that configuration. Unfortunately this is until now the only working configuration I found that works.
As I've got an Asus N66U as my access point and the tp-link as the bridge.
My problem is that as soon as I connect via the TP Link I can no longer connect to hard disks connected to my Asus N66U .... and Mail can't connect any longer to my Gmail account....?!

Any suggestions?
macnando
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 20:42    Post subject: Re: HOWTO: Set TP-Link TL-WR841N V7 as Wireless Repeater Bri Reply with quote
Hi tlhIngan:

I follow through this HOWTO but I could not make it work. I'm trying to repeat the signal from my TimeCapsule using this router TP-Link TL-WR841ND V7 but...
BTW I cannot see the pictures, maybe it would help...
Thanks anyway and I can read it has helped some people.
macnando
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:10    Post subject: Re: DHCP Servers Reply with quote
Well, I tried this config and I got a step further, meaning client now shows on my main router but still freezes my wifi net. Hummmm...What am I missing?

"If you disable the DHCP server on the router #2, only the router #1 gives IP address to all devices on the net. So, on the router #2, DHCP Server should be disabled and the Local Ip Address of the router, out of the range of DHCP server of router #1.
For example, if router #1 is on 192.168.1.1 and DHCP server gives IP on the range 192.168.1.100-150, router #2 Local IP Address could be 192.168.1.2 and all clients connected to router #1 or #2, will have IPs on the range 192.168.1.100-150."
macnando
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 15:58    Post subject: HOWTO: Set TP-Link TL-WR841N V7 as Wireless Repeater Bridge Reply with quote
Hi tlhIngan!

Thank you so much for your help!

Finally I solved my problem! It's a long story that started with my Linksys WRT54GL falling from the wall and breaking apart. Then I bought TP-Link 841ND thinking it would repeat. As I told you, I follow your tutorial but it didn't help even with the picture you kindly sent me.
So I bought me a second hand Linksys WRT54G and, following the link below by the letter, I could configure it like the broken one. Then I saw at the bottom of this tutorial that there's a part for Atheros routers and, guess what, TP-Link is also working! Check it out!

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Thanks again!

Last edited by macnando on Sat Apr 27, 2013 17:00; edited 1 time in total
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: