Free DNS Service Provider

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tazzman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 17:33    Post subject: Free DNS Service Provider Reply with quote
Hey there fellow members,

Does anyone know if there is any Free DNS service provider left that does not require a client to run in the background? For as infrequent that I would use it, if I have to I am willing to pay for it. I'm just doing my Home Work before I open my Wallet. It would be used on Camera’s and an ATA…..
Sponsor
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you mean DDNS service, try DNS-O-Matic from OpenDNS. It forwards data to several other DDNS services, so if you update the DNS-O-Matic records once in a while (in a few weeks), it transmits the changes to other DDNS services.

Of course, you'd still have to update the records when they change, otherwise it cannot know that your IP has changed.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

tazzman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you slobodan

Yes DDNS is what I'am asking about. I will look at this. Hopefuly they do not require a Client running in the background of the IP location to keep it up to date.

Thanx
spearchucker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
You still need to set up DDWRT the update dnsomatic. I have it running on my router and it works great.
tazzman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
spearchucker

I noticed that they are not one of the chosen in the drop down. Possibly I'm running an older version of ddwrt?
James2k
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is no specific option for DNS-O-Matic, instead you select custom and use these parameters:

http://dnsomatic.com/wiki/dd-wrt

Main router:

Netgear R7000 overclocked to 1.2GHz - DD-WRT v3.0-r35965M kongac

IPv6 6in4 (HE.net), OpenVPN (with PBR and split tunnelling), Entware, dnsmasq with ipset

Easy ipset support for the R7000

VPN speed: Download: 77.96 Mbps Upload: 5.00 Mbps (AES-128-CBC HMAC-SHA1)

Yes you can get 50 Mbps+ with OpenVPN on a R7000 if you configure it properly!

Previous routers:

ASUS RT-N66U - The Dark Knight
WNR2000v3 - Bought on the cheap for someone else, neutered crap
WNR3500Lv1 - First venture into the DD-WRT world
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DNS-O-Matic

Got OpenDNS?
tazzman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I’m having a difficult time trying to locate in DNS-O-Matic where you create your account with out running a client.
tazzman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is what I'm looking for;

I want to be able to inform opendns of my DDNS provider host name, and let opendns automatically add new ip-addresses to my network. I need dns filtering without any software program to provide new network ip-addresses to opendns, except for firmware in a router or gateway. I can't have a dedicated computer, running 24 hours a day just to do this one thing.

Even if there is a laps of 1 to 10 minutes, when an occasional ip address change occurs, this would only impact filtering. So occasionally, the filter might not work, but would work the vast majority of time. And individuals attempting to access sites otherwise filtered would never know when such a time period was.

Alternatively, opendns could provide the ddns service more directly. Also they could push for updating the design of ddns services in firmware, so that every time there is a "on demand" request for a new ip address, since a router or gateway has set idle for too long, that the ddns function updates the new ip address immediately without waiting for the normal update frequency.

I need the opendns filtering to work regardless of who's computer is accessing the internet through the one router/gateway, without a dedicated extra computer whos sole purpose is to update ip address (to add network) with opendns. Such an extra computer is extremely expensive overhead (the extra computer being an ongoing variable expense daily) for what should be as simple as a ping from a router when there is a new "on demand" connection to isp or a DDNS update (a router being a sunk expense).
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
See http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/discussion/36963/inadyn-creates-zombie-processes/

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: