Remote WOL help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
alex350r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 15:21    Post subject: Remote WOL help please Reply with quote
Hi,

I have a Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mini. I have previously had remote WOL working perfectly but since a trip abroad and setting up in a new house I can't reconfigure it.

My WRT54G is plugged straight into my Virgin Media Super Hub and then into my PC.

I have added a Port Forwarding role for UDP Port 9 to my fake broadcast ip (192.168.1.254). I have added the following command to the startup commands of the router and rebooted -

arp -i br0 -s 192.168.1.254 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

I have checked and I can see that the fake device is there and being assigned the 192.168.1.254 IP address. I have also enabled WOL from the WOL tab in the DD-WRT and tested this with a WOL packet sniffer (this works fine when I wake from interface).

Trying to send a magic packet over the internet fails, the packet never arrives. I have checked the router logs and I can see the echo packet being dropped and the discard one being accepted.

Does anyone have any ideas? I definitely had this working before so can't understand what I did differently. Would it be worth me updating the DD-WRT version on my router? I have also tried disabling my Windows firewall to no avail.

Any help is appreciated, really want to get this working! Smile

Cheers

Alex
Sponsor
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
So you see the right WOL packet going out of the router on the right interface, but you want to WakeUp a remote device via Internet?
Could be your ISP blocking it on your new home?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I assume the Virgin Media super hub is running as modem only, no routing enabled?

Main router:

Netgear R7000 overclocked to 1.2GHz - DD-WRT v3.0-r35965M kongac

IPv6 6in4 (HE.net), OpenVPN (with PBR and split tunnelling), Entware, dnsmasq with ipset

Easy ipset support for the R7000

VPN speed: Download: 77.96 Mbps Upload: 5.00 Mbps (AES-128-CBC HMAC-SHA1)

Yes you can get 50 Mbps+ with OpenVPN on a R7000 if you configure it properly!

Previous routers:

ASUS RT-N66U - The Dark Knight
WNR2000v3 - Bought on the cheap for someone else, neutered crap
WNR3500Lv1 - First venture into the DD-WRT world
mail2vrp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was having the same issue. the problem i think is with the FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF broadcast implementation in the dd-wrt firmware. my whole setup was working fine with a linksys router running tomato and the only thing i changed was to change the router to a netgear one running dd-wrt.

with the setup as the OP i was able to see that the wol packet is coming to router and is forwarded to ip 192.168.1.254. but nothing happens after that. i can get the wol to work internally or through initiating it from the dd-wrt itself. but not externally.

now to a solution that worked for me, here is what i did (Btw this will work only if you wol for 1 or max of 2 machines in your network):

1) in dd-wrt create a static ip entry for your machine that needs wol (For example lets say you need wol for your machine with mac 00:11:22:33:44:55. create a static ip of say 192.168.1.200 for this mac)

2) now add the following entry to your start up script (remove the other arp entries..):

sleep 60
arp -i br0 -s 192.168.1.200 00:11:22:33:44:55

3) also in dd-wrt setup a port forward for port 7 to ip 192.168.1.200

reboot the router and wait for 2 minutes. and you will be all set.

do let me know if you have any questions. i can try to help as much as i can.

the same setup can be used for another machine if you use port 9 instead of port 7. so this solution will get the external wol working for utmost 2 machines (i am not sure whether wol will work with ports other than 7 or 9!).

all the best!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: