Atheros vs Broadcom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
meshme
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 23:20    Post subject: Atheros vs Broadcom Reply with quote
Just a quick question, I don't want to start a flame war.

Is the atheros radio (inside the WHR-HP-AG108) better than the Broadcom found in the WHR-HP-G54 and the other WRT routers ?

And how does the AG108 compares with a minipci CM9 or a Compex radio?

I'm trying to understand if it's worth the effort to get a few AG108 for testing or not.

Thank you !
Sponsor
Sycho
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
RF speaking, Atheros is much better than Broadcom, they have higher sensivity.
Just did a simple test, i have both Fonera (Atheros) and WRT54GL (Broadcom) set in client mode. Check site survey and:
Atheros "see" networks from -98dBm, there are a lot here from -98 to -95dBm. Broadcom starts arround -90. The difference in detected networks is 20 versus 3 !
Next is to do some real throughput tests (to be done).

By the way, i found a rf bug in Fonera.
With a microwave rf power meter sensor attached to fonera's rp-sma:
Antenna gain to 0, so max power is at +18dBm by default. Power meter stay at +16dBm (that's ok because of time integration of signal, the ap is not transmitting continuously, was only sending beacons).
Now change txpower to +17dBm (iwconfig eth0 txpower). Real output goes 1dB down instantaneously.
Change rfpower to +16dBm, it goes 1dB down.

Now try to go up again... change to +17dBm and you get real 1dB increment, but changing to +18dBm makes no difference! It don't matter what you do, you can't get back to +18dBm without restarting. Tried going up and down, sweeping from 0 to +18... nothing.

I don't know if this is a ddwrt bug or an Atheros itself. But it's interesting xD

Next to come is rf output measurements of WRT54GL, maybe i get another surprise? xD

Last edited by Sycho on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:59; edited 1 time in total
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have noticed some issues with throughput when connecting Fonera routers as clients to my WRT54G.

Before i got the WRT54G, the Foneras were connected to each other wirelessly in WDS AP/Station mode, which in later firmware release worked perfectly.
There was a a floor separating the routers, though the bandwitdh test was still showin 24-25Mbps througput at most.

But, then I replaced one Fonera with the WRT54G, and made both Foneras clients to it onstead. What happened?
Well, no matter if I setup client mode, or client bridge mode (without routing that is) the trouhgput between the Foneras and the WRT54G is awful...

At the most top 13-14Mbps, more likely average 10Mbps.

Really strange! Dont know if its due to some new modifications in later firmwares for both router models, or if the WRT54G jut has a poor WLAN.
eeff11
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sycho wrote:
RF speaking, Atheros is much better than Broadcom, they have higher sensivity.
Just did a simple test,

Did the same test, quite the same.
That's why I moved from Broadcom based routers to Atheros based.

Still wondering why such huge difference, DD should be better suitable for Broadcom, so it's REALLY the hardware difference?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: