Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
lkbrow1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have not yet encountered any problems aside from low NVRAM space. But my thought was putting all of my house on 2.4GHZ band and my main PC on the 5GHZ. However I have not found a single USB wifi dongle that works on 5GHZ under linux. Two out of four of them work easily at 2.4GHZ but only work on 5GHZ when booted to XP.
Sponsor
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMerlin wrote:
Wannab wrote:
what services will not run with the 64k disabled? I am still rocking my old linksys 600n but was thinking of upgrading to this router but want to wait until i know that ddwrt is fully working on it

It's not about which services work or don't, it's about how many of them can you use before filling up the nvram with their settings, causing your router to crash and wiping out your settings.

You can run out of nvram with the stock firmware simply by having too many QoS/VServer rules.

So for users like me who just do the usual WiFi setup (channel, SSID, security) and a couple other things, but aren't running any custom rules and have uPnP set up to clear on startup...it *should* work fine?

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

youwe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
i'm running the latest dd-wrt version with privoxy installed in /jffs (behind a pfsense fw box) without any problems on this device.

Its stable, fast and does his job, i can just recommend this device.

Thanks to whole dd-wrt crew.
luttjebo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:10    Post subject: but the extreme performance is gone Reply with quote
Got dd-wrt to run just fine and the nvram issue... ah, the factory firmware also has only 3k free.

I read some complaints concerning 5Ghz not visible. I have the same problems on my MacBook where for instance the iPad can see the 5Ghz network just fine. Don't think it's firmware version related as older dd-wrt releases have the same problem and so has the latest tomato. Just fix your 5Ghz channel instead of using auto and you're fine.

What surpises me mostly about this thread is that nobody has performance considerations. Both DD-WRT and Tomato seem to have almost the same signal strenght as the stock firmware but.... the extreme bandwidth is gone. You're back to about 8.xMb/s on 2.4 and 18.xMb/s on 5. The stock firmware gives me 11.x Mb/s and between 22 and 26.5Mb/s on 5 which is fabulous. Never seen something like this before.

I love DD-WRT but I love the extreme numbers the RT66U gives me even more. Is there someone out there that can explain these differences. Is it the same driver ?

(test methodology = file copy via AFP from old Macbook pro to Synology)
Gingernut
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:37    Post subject: Re: but the extreme performance is gone Reply with quote
luttjebo wrote:
Got dd-wrt to run just fine and the nvram issue... ah, the factory firmware also has only 3k free.

I read some complaints concerning 5Ghz not visible. I have the same problems on my MacBook where for instance the iPad can see the 5Ghz network just fine. Don't think it's firmware version related as older dd-wrt releases have the same problem and so has the latest tomato. Just fix your 5Ghz channel instead of using auto and you're fine.

What surpises me mostly about this thread is that nobody has performance considerations. Both DD-WRT and Tomato seem to have almost the same signal strenght as the stock firmware but.... the extreme bandwidth is gone. You're back to about 8.xMb/s on 2.4 and 18.xMb/s on 5. The stock firmware gives me 11.x Mb/s and between 22 and 26.5Mb/s on 5 which is fabulous. Never seen something like this before.

I love DD-WRT but I love the extreme numbers the RT66U gives me even more. Is there someone out there that can explain these differences. Is it the same driver ?

(test methodology = file copy via AFP from old Macbook pro to Synology)

Asus firmware has the CTF driver enabled which gives alot better throughput but if you turn on QOS it gets disabled.
luttjebo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:37    Post subject: Ahh..... Reply with quote
And I take it QOS is enabled out of the box with a DD-WRT install ?

I switched back to stock firmware. If you believe I can get the same numbers using dd-wrt I will certainly give it a shot.

Amazing device, that's for sure.
luttjebo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 14:29    Post subject: Re: Ahh..... Reply with quote
Still don't get it I think. Befriended google and it tells me CTF is hardware NAT offloading and some other things with QOS.

But for the performance tests I use it like an AP, not router. A link to some Tomato tests claims that it is some advanced option and performance testing shows a peak of 19Mb/s which is not even close to the 26.5Mb peak I'm getting with 22 / 23 average @ RSSI -43.

Back to drawing board. Will rerun the tests to see if I'm overlooking something simple. Old model Macbook only does 300N instead of 450. Can anyone confirm these numbers or am I the only one (and therefore probably very wrong)
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
"Hardware NAT" is an oversimplification used by marketing folks. Nobody is entirely sure exactly what CTF does since it's closed source, but from my understanding, it optimizes the whole packet handling chain by Netfilter. So, general routing performance is improved, not just NAT.

The fact Tomato is slower isn't due to "QOS being enabled by default", it's due to Tomato not having that kernel module.
petertfm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMerlin wrote:
"Hardware NAT" is an oversimplification used by marketing folks. Nobody is entirely sure exactly what CTF does since it's closed source, but from my understanding, it optimizes the whole packet handling chain by Netfilter. So, general routing performance is improved, not just NAT.

The fact Tomato is slower isn't due to "QOS being enabled by default", it's due to Tomato not having that kernel module.

Great work RMerlin:-)

could tomato or dd-wrt get that so called module from the source like you have been playing with?
or are your compiled asuswrt without this module?
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
petertfm wrote:
RMerlin wrote:

Great work RMerlin:-)

could tomato or dd-wrt get that so called module from the source like you have been playing with?
or are your compiled asuswrt without this module?

Technically they could. But I remember it was a pretty heated debate in the Tomato community back then whether they wanted to integrate it or not. In the end the devs decided not to, because to be able to use it, you basically had to disable half of what makes Tomato such a great alternative (its QoS). They felt that people actually benefit from it would such a limited niche case that it wasn't worth it.

And until recently, you couldn't even use port forwarding in Asuswrt if you wanted to use that module. That was changed with build 162.

With all its limitation, CTF looks like a great way to boost performance tests done by reviewers who don't test with any ports forwarded or QoS enabled.
ryzhov_al
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMerlin wrote:
Little addition: before RT-N66u (i.e. on RT-N16) it was software only open source solution. We even able to use FastNAT/FastPath wirh headerless net devices like a VPN connection and able packet marking.

On a RT-N66u we've got new binary blob - ctf.ko. It's sources are closed, so we may only suspect there is some Broadcom proprietary sort\hard NAT offload solution.

While new FastNAT using, no packet marking avaliable: no QoS etc. In some cases new blob is pin in the @#$.

Binary is evil, binary is evil^)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:15    Post subject: Results Reply with quote
Ran the tests again and that explained a lot. I was not able to disable CTF on the stock firmware as the device was setup in AP only mode. I did some tests on 5Ghz only and got a nice 26Mb/s peak again with a 23Mb average using a late 2008 Macbook pro with AFP file copy.

Installed the tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-097-VPN-64K.trx firmware cauze I remembered that one having the CTF checkbox and I don't know where to find it on DD-WRT.

CTF on or off doesn't do a thing here as I don't use routing but AP only as mentioned earlier. So at least I knew it wasn't CTF making the fast transfers possible.

Did a little digging as I was back to 18 to 20Mb/s from the moment Tomato was installed. Found it was the Frame Burst setting that defaults to Disable. Changed it to Enabled and voila... back in business.

I now have Tomato running instead of stock firmware and Tomato gives me 26.5Mb/s flat on MCS15 with -66. Personally, I think this is pretty cool. One door (wiring closet), one inside stone wall and ensuring i sit still, I was able to avg @ 26.3Mb/s for a 3Gb file copy.

Man I love this product. Did a test running 40Mhz on 2.4 as well. Got 20Mb avg and 21.8 peak.
Simultaneous copies (smb+afp) on 2.4 and 5 avg 19Mb 5Ghz + 16Mb 2.4Ghz which is a little less than I expected/hoped.

Back to CTF. It makes no difference whatsoever if your device is configured to just forward frames from one interface to the other.
jesseasi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 19:56    Post subject: Can someone steer me in the right direction. Reply with quote
I am trying to figure out which firmware I should use. DD-WRT, Tomato, Shibby, Merlin, etc.

My head is spinning.

The main feature I need is a firewall white list for FTP access to my network.

I run a FTP server as to store company backups. Unfortunately robots out there seem to always want to hack into my ftp. I would like to find a way to put a firewall on my router that only allows white listed known IPs to access my ftp server inside my network.

Would a build like DD-WRT have a feature like that?

(I had an old D-Link router way back that had this feature - I miss it!)

Also - there is so much debate here about 5ghz performance, 64nv ram, etc -

Could someone tell me what is the most stable and best firmware to use right now? I have a feeling that once I have it working - I won't touch it again (if it ain't broke don't fix it).

Appreciate any help.

Thank you!
Jesse
halsafar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 19:55    Post subject: Re: Can someone steer me in the right direction. Reply with quote
jesseasi wrote:

Could someone tell me what is the most stable and best firmware to use right now? I have a feeling that once I have it working - I won't touch it again (if it ain't broke don't fix it).

Appreciate any help.

Thank you!
Jesse

Stock can't do this?

If that is all you need special in your router then I'd investigate if Merlins build can set up what you want. Otherwise DD-WRT would be a great choice, you won't be pushing on that 32k nvram issue if that is the only service you run behind your router. Finally if all the above fail then give Tomato a try with the 64k nvram fix.
GH0
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:11    Post subject: Rmerlin's firmware Reply with quote
Rmerlin,

Are you planning on putting any support for afraid.org in your firmware?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 60 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: