deploying large wifi network noob questions

Baggus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 13:53    Post subject: deploying large wifi network noob questions Reply with quote
Hi,

I need to deploy a large WIFI network in a hotel.

I have a lot of experience with DD-WRT, VPNs, IP routing etc. but this is a 1st for me.

Would this be as simple as buying a pile of APs and configuring them each with the same SSID and WPA2 key (and ofc a unique LAN IP for later management)?

I'm planning on using 2 per floor, these should be set to non-overlapping channels?

I'm really afraid that users will be constantly switching between APs resulting in an unstable connection, how can I prevent this?

Is it possible for a user to move from AP to AP without dropping VOIP call or downloads?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsor
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would do it as you say if I were you.

One thing I would first is a site survey, to check if one high power or two standard AP would work per floor.

Regarding the jumping from one AP to another, it shouldn´t happen unless the client is on moving, or something is causing strong interference.

Unfortunally, WiFi is not like the cell system. i.e. there is not a handover, the client will drop from one AP to the other, so a VoIP call will be dropped unless the system tolerates some seconds of missing data.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: