Can Not Disable SSID

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
leegold
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:44    Post subject: Can Not Disable SSID Reply with quote
Hi,

I have a Linksys wrt54gs v2.1 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 it's set up as a repeater. I want to hide the SSID of the virtual interface wl01 which is dd-wrt_vap, I selected Disable for Wireless SSID Broadcast in the menu and saved, applied settings and rebooted the unit.

But it still shows up on all wifi remote interfaces, but I want it to be hidden. I turned off the repeater to "rest" it. Rebooted remote PCs. Still shows as a visiable SSID.

How do I do this?

Thanks
Sponsor
leegold
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, This is a log standing bug.

I wonder why it's never been fixed...it definitely does not work.

Is there a fix? I've searched and nothing I've tried works. I am sad.
Dougz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you really need to hide the SSID, since most experts say that it really doesn't improve the security of the connection and it causes some devices to expend more battery power having to regularly ping a hidden SSID than they would with one that is out in the open?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried Build 14896, dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin which seemed to be a newer version and it worked - I can hide the SSID.

I want to do it because the dd-wrt flashed repeater has a directional antenna pulling in a distant signal. I then attached an AP with an omni antenna to the repeater. I want people to opt for the omni antenna access point to connect to, so hiding the SSID for the repeater - then maybe they'd tend to connect to the access point.

So it worked with a newer version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: