Tips for Safe Flashing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
all3ex619
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:20    Post subject: Tips for Safe Flashing. Reply with quote
Ok so I have a TP-LINK Router Model No. TL-WR841N Ver. 7.2 and I want to flash it with DD-WRT firmware. I know how to do this and I did it before but I managed to brick my router with another firmware from another site (It wasn't for my router). Yes I know that was incredibly stupid Embarassed and I learned my lesson, I wasn't able to access the web interface or ping the router or use the telnet command and hard reset was not doing anything. I had no other option to repair my router other than connecting a serial cable to it's circuit board and... you know the drill. Crying or Very sad
I've managed to get a replacement (Warranty Claim) by telling them that a voltage drop occurred while I was flashing my router with the firmware from it's website and my computer restarted and then my router refused to work. Very Happy (Electricity distribution is not always stable here)

Now I am very paranoid and I am afraid to flash my router again. If I have to crack open the router in order to repair it is game over for me.

I want to know if there are any tips that I can follow to reduce the chances of bricking my router when flashing to a minimum. Also I would be glad if you can recommend me a release.

If you need more information or anything else do not hesitate to ask. Thank you in advance for your support.

Note: I did read the he peacock thread.

Last edited by all3ex619 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 13:28; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
First off, you posted in the wrong section of the forum, you have an Atheros based device - atleast i think you do if its a WR841N, you should post in that section of the forum, had you read the first announcement in the general section, you would know this.. anyhow this has been moved to the Atheros section.

Second, you sure this is a TL-WR81N Ver. 7.2 and not a TL-WR841N v7.2?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
all3ex619
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am sorry. My mistake, yes it is an TL-WR841N.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
According to the wiki, this unit has support. So you would then need to use a build proper for your unit.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/03-19-12-r18777/tplink_tl-wr841ndv7/

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
all3ex619
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed the router with the firmware and after I set the pppoe connection it does nothing when I click on connect. I referted to stock firmware till some kind of fix appears. So yeah... what would you suggest?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: