Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 13:29 Post subject: Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H Wireless Dropping
I've had this router for some time now, (close to 2 years old). When I got it, I updated it with the dd-wrt v24SP2-MULTI 12/17/10 std and it has worked well. In the last few days, this router started to drop wireless connectivity. It looks like it has stopped broadcasting it's SSID. It's been at least a year since any changes were made on this router. and probably rebooted about three times in it's life until now. I have never had any problems in the past with any feature of the router that I use. Now the wireless is dropping constantly after 12-24 hours. Reboot, and I'm good for a while. From reviewing the various posts, it looks like this has been a problem with this router for some time, and it does not appear that there is a fix from a software-firmware point of view.
If there wasn't all these posts over the last two years that I found referring to this problem, I would expect that I have hardware that is starting to fail. Are there any good, even old versions of dd-wrt for this router that are know not to have this problem? Or have others run into this same issue after a period of time has past, and it's know that the hardware is failing. Any thoughts appreciated.
I've thought about that, and may give that a try in a bit. I've read on another forum that someone has found it's in the "N" part of the wireless, and their solution was to turn it off. I don't have to have N at this time, as everything I have will operate on G, so I going to disable the N and see what happens for now.
Since turning off the wireless N capabilities The router has worked fine - without issue, until I turned it back on today. After about 10 hours or so, the problems were back. So this Buffalo router will do as a G unit for now. I'll have to look for something different down the road, probably go back to Linksys.
No, didn't go down the upgrade router at this point. The unit worked fine with the build I put on it when I got it which was DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (12/17/10) std - build 15940 and never had any issues with that build over close to two years, until this popped up. It's possible that there is corruption in the firmware, however, I'm leaning more towards a hardware failure, or beginning to fail.
At the moment, I have nothing here in my office to replace this unit, and need to find something before I play with upgrading the firmware, since there is a problem somewhere with it.
I'm looking for a reliable unit that I can install and forget about it. Needs to handle multiple public ip's, port forwarding, voip & MAC or port prioritizing. If you have any suggestions of ones to look at or stay away from, let me know. After I get something else in here as a backup or replacement, I'll try the most current firmware and see what happens.
If I remember the "user Friendly" firmware does not allow for the multiple public addresses to be assign and routed in. That was one of the required needs that doesn't exist on most of the consumer routers.
I run a shop where we have 8 of the Buffalo AG300H units configured as AP's with the same SSID's. Upgraded all of them to the non-alpha release a month ago--DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (06/03/12) std (SVN revision 19154) from the Buffalo website--and this is showing promise. No more drops from iPod/iPad/iPhone clients and clients with certain Intel N-wireless cards.
Apparently, the code that routes the gigabit Cat5e traffic has been rewritten to be faster as well, so it is definitely worth the upgrade.
From my experience, reboot the unit before you upload the new rom image. The first 2 I flashed had some minor problems when I didn't do that first.
BTW - I run both the 2.4ghz in 20mhz, NG-mixed mode and the 5ghz in 40mhz, AG-mixed mode. The Intel clients made a much better go at it if I went with G-only mode at either frequency, but we set up old Linksys WRT54GL routers for them and ran the Buffalo for N clients.