Asus RT-AC66U now in stock - DD-WRT compatibility?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
FTP
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:56    Post subject: Asus RT-AC66U now in stock - DD-WRT compatibility? Reply with quote
Hi,

I was considering buying a RT-N66U, but with this 32/64Kb NVRAM issue I've postponed my purchase until now.
But... the brand new RT-AC66U has hit the stores on time so I'm now considering buying this one Smile

Asus RT-AC66U page...
http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTAC66U/

Now in stock...
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-RT-AC66U-802-11ac-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC1750/dp/B008ABOJKS/ref=sr_1_2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320115
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/871035-REG/ASUS_RT_AC66U_AC1750_Dual_Band_Wireless_N_Gigabit.html

So any news or first tests regarding DD-WRT compatibility?
And is the 32/64Kb NVRAM issue fixed in this router?

Thanks by advanced!
Sponsor
joshuapurcell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm also very interested in dd-wrt support for this router. The stock firmware does some things a little weird (for instance, no way to have only 2.4GHz or 5Ghz, must have both), and then there are other things that just aren't possible with using the factory firmware.
FTP
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found this, but not yet a true DD-WRT install and test Razz

The RT-AC66U seems to use 64Kb NVRAM...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=703187#703187

DD-WRT could run on a RT-AC66U...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=701495#701495

Still awaiting a kind of official confirmation either from the DD-WRT team or several testers Smile
Chuck_IV
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
joshuapurcell wrote:
I'm also very interested in dd-wrt support for this router. The stock firmware does some things a little weird (for instance, no way to have only 2.4GHz or 5Ghz, must have both), and then there are other things that just aren't possible with using the factory firmware.

Just an FYI, while I agree there are things you just can't do with the stock firmware, not being able to have only one band running is not one of them. You have the option to turn each radio off individually on the Wireless|Professional tab.

I actually just picked up the N66U but am thinking of returning it for the AC66U. For a few dollars more I can have something that has more potential for the future.
halsafar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any word on whether it DD WRT works on here?
ianken
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chuck_IV wrote:

I actually just picked up the N66U but am thinking of returning it for the AC66U. For a few dollars more I can have something that has more potential for the future.

I picked up two. One for a bridge, the other for a router.

In this setup it is very unreliable. Clients behind the bridge become unavailable and it needs to be rebooted.

DD-WRT would be great on this device if it supported the same level of perf, which is quite good.

My current setup: E4200 (stock) + E30o0/DDWRT as the bridge is bullet proof. The two ASUS units yield a 3x perf boost when working. The issue is the "when working" part of that sentence.

Perf between the E3000 bridge and the AC66U is abysmal.

So, $400 worth of doorstop basically. At least for now.
Chuck_IV
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I did pick one of these up and returned my N66U. After updating the firmware, I've had no issues at all. Then again, I don't use the bridge mode.

On the initial firmware, I had issues with windows(or other devices) seeing my attached USB drive(yet I could see it fine within the router's firmware). But after updating the firmware to 164, it fixed the issue. However, the new firmware REMOVED the TX power settings. I do have an issue with that.

Hopefully we will see DD-WRT/Tomato support for this. I know Merlin just received an RT-AC66U and has said he will be supporting it soon with his firmware.
davemishsr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 16:19    Post subject: Re: Asus RT-AC66U now in stock - DD-WRT compatibility? Reply with quote
FTP wrote:
Hi,

I was considering buying a RT-N66U, but with this 32/64Kb NVRAM issue I've postponed my purchase until now.
But... the brand new RT-AC66U has hit the stores on time so I'm now considering buying this one Smile

Asus RT-AC66U page...
http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTAC66U/

Now in stock...
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-RT-AC66U-802-11ac-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC1750/dp/B008ABOJKS/ref=sr_1_2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320115
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/871035-REG/ASUS_RT_AC66U_AC1750_Dual_Band_Wireless_N_Gigabit.html

So any news or first tests regarding DD-WRT compatibility?
And is the 32/64Kb NVRAM issue fixed in this router?

Thanks by advanced!

OK. First, you are wrong about the dual band issue. You can disable either or both under the Wireless/Professional tab. As for 64k NVRAM support I believe the RT-AC66U's stock firmware supports it. If not the Merlin has a terrific option for those who want added options but do not need to use DD-WRT or TomatoUSB, which does offer 64k NVRAM support with the most-recent versions by Shibby and Toastman. His ASUSwrt-Merlin can be googled easily or go to Small Netbuilder Forum and search ASUS Wireless under Wireless Networking. As for DD-WRT I am not aware of it offering 64k NVRAM support for either the RT-N66U or the RT-AC66U. If I am wrong I would hope that one of the regulars here correct me in short order.
halsafar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been craving to buy either N66U or AC66U. I do have a need for DD-WRT or Tomato because I need to run custom dnsmasq and have a bagillion firewall rules (a business runs behind the router). I also use VPN. So the 32k nvram issue would likely effect me. Very frustrating. I'm starting to think my WRT54G from 2004 running openwrt can't be beat.

Last edited by halsafar on Thu Aug 09, 2012 21:15; edited 1 time in total
FTP
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:08    Post subject: Re: Asus RT-AC66U now in stock - DD-WRT compatibility? Reply with quote
davemishsr wrote:
First, you are wrong about the dual band issue. You can disable either or both under the Wireless/Professional tab.

I think you quoted the wrong post.
I never talked about dual band issue.

davemishsr wrote:
As for 64k NVRAM support I believe the RT-AC66U's stock firmware supports it.

This topic is about DD-WRT compatibility.
I'm not interested in the stock firmware as I need to run OpenVPN.

davemishsr wrote:
As for DD-WRT I am not aware of it offering 64k NVRAM support for either the RT-N66U or the RT-AC66U. If I am wrong I would hope that one of the regulars here correct me in short order.

For the RT-N66U the situation is very clear. The DD-WRT team is waiting for a fix at CFE level and is not willing to backport the fix used in the stock firmware.

But the RT-AC66U is a different router. "Maybe" Asus has learn their lesson and properly set the CFE this time, which would allow DD-WRT to run fine on this router.
This is the question and the answer we're waiting from people who have had the opportunity to use/test this router.
FTP
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like it's really summer holidays. It's very quiet for the brand new flagship of Asus.

No one has tested it yet? Razz
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
(moved conversation from the N66U thread since it really belongs here)

FTP wrote:
RMerlin wrote:
Those of you with heat concerns should try using the stand Asus provides. I saw near 10C difference here on the AC66U when using that stand.

Do you already have a RT-AC66U?
Is the NVRAM level managed by the CFE fixed?
Have you tried to install DD-WRT?

Can you make your comments here...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=159637

Thanks! Smile

Yes, I've had an RT-AC66U for nearly two weeks now (it was a gift).

Someone else here on these forums looked at the CFE source code and came to the conclusion it was probably 64 KB native. I can confirm that the AC66U uses newer CFE code than the RT66U. Beyond that, I don't know MIPS asm, so I can't disassemble the CFE to confirm it.

No, I didn't try DD-WRT. Aside from the fact that I develop my own firmware version for this device, I highly doubt DD-WRT will work on it until some specific support get added to its code. A few reasons:

1) I don't think Brainslayer committed the 6.x Broadcom driver to the svn repo yet (at least based on an svn ticket I read a few weeks ago)- this is required for 802.11ac.

2) The RT-AC66U has a rather... interesting... architecture. It has two separate flash storage. One is a 2 MB serial flash storage that's common to Broadcom reference boards. This flash contains the CFE and the nvram. The second is a 128 MB (yes, you read that right - 128 MegaBYTES) NAND storage.

That 128 MB is currently partitioned with 32 MB allocated for the trx (kernel + rootfs), and the rest is allocated to an unused partition called brcnand. For my firmware I take 32 MB off this unused storage, and allocate it to a jffs partition.

Those two storage use different drivers - I don't know if both are currently supported by the DD-WRT kernel code. That 128 MB storage has support for bad block management, for example.

So, I suspect that DD-WRT support will take a fair amount of work for this particular router.
FTP
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks very much for your feedback! Very Happy

RMerlin wrote:
1) I don't think Brainslayer committed the 6.x Broadcom driver to the svn repo yet (at least based on an svn ticket I read a few weeks ago)- this is required for 802.11ac.

Would this comment help?

Maybe the same test build can be tried?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMerlin wrote:

Yes, I've had an RT-AC66U for nearly two weeks now (it was a gift).

Someone else here on these forums looked at the CFE source code and came to the conclusion it was probably 64 KB native. I can confirm that the AC66U uses newer CFE code than the RT66U. Beyond that, I don't know MIPS asm, so I can't disassemble the CFE to confirm it.

No, I didn't try DD-WRT. Aside from the fact that I develop my own firmware version for this device, I highly doubt DD-WRT will work on it until some specific support get added to its code. A few reasons:

2) The RT-AC66U has a rather... interesting... architecture. It has two separate flash storage. One is a 2 MB serial flash storage that's common to Broadcom reference boards. This flash contains the CFE and the nvram. The second is a 128 MB (yes, you read that right - 128 MegaBYTES) NAND storage.

That 128 MB is currently partitioned with 32 MB allocated for the trx (kernel + rootfs), and the rest is allocated to an unused partition called brcnand. For my firmware I take 32 MB off this unused storage, and allocate it to a jffs partition.

Those two storage use different drivers - I don't know if both are currently supported by the DD-WRT kernel code. That 128 MB storage has support for bad block management, for example.

So, I suspect that DD-WRT support will take a fair amount of work for this particular router.

Can you comment on if this device has an sd slot like the n66?
Pics are not available on the fcc site. Do you know of any pics that may have been posted in other forums?
Once we (we does not mean me) finish up jtag on the n66, I was thinking about getting the ac66. My hesitation is that when ever I get the latest & greatest, I get burned when a new revision comes out a few weeks later.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
FTP wrote:
Thanks very much for your feedback! Very Happy

RMerlin wrote:

Would this comment help?

Maybe the same test build can be tried?

Doubt it would work, unless it also has all the required flash drivers in it, and the Buffalo actually had the same internal architecture.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 92
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: