How much will DD-WRT impact functionality?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
TheOriginalTripleD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:00    Post subject: How much will DD-WRT impact functionality? Reply with quote
I recently bought an ASUS RT-N66U. I've had no trouble with the router itself, but recently I moved to China and I've had to use a VPN to get around the firewall. It's a pain having to constantly reconnect every device to my VPN, so I thought it would be nice to have the router connect to the VPN and broadcast a North-American network for all to use. To do this I would need to install DD-WRT (or Tomato), but I have have some question first:

[b]Dual Band[/b]
Does DD-WRT support Dual Band? I've tried to look this up in the forum and wiki, but I can't seem to find a direct answer.

[b]USB Speed[/b]
How is the USB firmware in DD-WRT? I realize that general, open-source firmware will probably not be as fast as the custom made stuff, but is there a huge drop off?

[b]VPN Client[/b]
Has anyone here tried using their DD-WRT router as a VPN client? Or better yet, tried out the software offered by StrongVPN for DD-WRT?

Many thanks for any insight you can offer to this newbie.
Sponsor
GH0
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Typing this on a tablet so sorry for any mistakes.

USB speed: Are you wanting to run NTFs/FAT or ext* drives? Ext* drives currently don't work, which is what a few of us are trying to do/resolve right now.

Dual Band: As far as I am aware is supported.

VPN client: May be limited by the 32kb CFE space we have right now, but it could work, never tested or tried it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: