Need help with wireless bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking
chris86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:12    Post subject: Need help with wireless bridge Reply with quote
Hello, I have moved to an apartment where we only got one router.
Im trying to get wan connection from the primary router through wireless.
I tried a few guides, but when I try to make a virtual wireless i cannot connect

the main reason why i want my own little network is because the primary router are using ascii in the ssid so i can only connect with my laptop..
im also going to have a nas server that doesnt have wireless so it would be nice if i could use the wired ports on my router.
Could someone guide me please?

My router:
D-Link Dir-615 D3(with dd-wrt)
Primary router:
probably stock firmware router
WEP encryption

Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure what you mean by they’re using ASCII in the SSID and how that prevents access, but I suppose it doesn’t matter since if you’re using someone else’s network for Internet access, you should have your own network, firewall, etc., anyway.

If you just want wired users at your router, configure the dd-wrt router in “Client” (not “Client Bridge”) mode. If you want wired and wireless users at your router, configure the dd-wrt router in “Repeater” (not “Repeater Bridge”) mode.

If you choose to go the repeater route (wired + wireless), always start w/ “Client” and get the wired users connected FIRST! Then update that working configuration to “Repeater”, which will add the wireless users.

To configure for “Client”, make sure the LAN IP of the router is DIFFERENT from the remote AP’s network. For example, if the remote AP is using 192.168.1.x, perhaps make your network 192.168.2.x, or 10.0.0.x, or whatever. You do this implicitly by assigning your router the address 192.168.2.1 (as an example), saving the change, and rebooting. Now go to wireless setup, change the wireless mode to Client, save and reboot. Now change the remaining wireless parameters on that same page (SSID of the remote AP, network mode, etc.), save and reboot. Finally, go to wireless security, specify the parameters for the remote AP, save and reboot. If done correctly, you should be connected to the remote AP and have the ability to access the internet. You’ll be behind your own firewall, on your own network, w/ your own DHCP server.

Until all the above works, don’t even bother w/ repeater mode, because repeater is only builds on client mode. If the client isn’t working for any reason, it won’t get any better w/ repeater.
chris86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I mean that the primary routers ssid has norwegian letters in it("æøå")

Quote:
If you choose to go the repeater route (wired + wireless), always start w/ “Client” and get the wired users connected FIRST! Then update that working configuration to “Repeater”, which will add the wireless users.

If i choose to do this, can i create a virtual wireless network that redirects all the traffic to the primary router?

eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes. Starting w/ "client", you'll only be able to support wired clients on the dd-wrt router. But once you update that configuration to "repeater", you'll be able to ADD a virtual SSID/interface so you can have wireless clients too. Both wired and wireless clients will be fed from your router over to the primary router.

Of course, I didn't provide any details on moving from “client” to “repeater” as yet, not until you had "client" working.

The only purpose of not jumping immediately to "repeater" is that esp. for first-timers, it's really easy to get confused and mess up the wireless client portion of the repeater config as you attempt to add the virtual SSID/interface. Doing it in steps makes it so much easier and less prone to errors, and you end up w/ the exact same results.
chris86
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
My computer got internet connection from wire, but when i set the mode to repeater and added a virtual wireless with wpa2 aes security the internet goes down..
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I assume you updated security on the correct wireless interface, because obviously there are two in repeater mode.

What happens if you leave wireless security disabled on the virtual SSID/interface? Does it now work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: