WRT54GL client bridge - which build?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jamtat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 13:43    Post subject: WRT54GL client bridge - which build? Reply with quote
Ok, first let me point out that I'm not new to DD-WRT, having installed it on a few Linksys routers. Let me also say that I know about the peacock thread and have read it more than once over the years.

Despite the fact that I've read the peacock thread previously, and have just now reviewed it again, I am still uncertain as to which build I should use on the WRT54GL I'll be getting soon. Part of the problem is that this is dated hardware that is gradually being abandoned: which factor may also explain why the peacock thread becomes questionable as a source of information about the best builds to use. You see, the thread is dated to May of 2009 and, while I'm certain the information contained in it has been updated since it was first posted, I cannot tell from looking at the thread when was the most recent revision (there's no revision history posted there). So, for these reasons I've come here to ask what is the most recent stable build recommended for my soon-to-be-acquired WRT54GL?

12548, 13491, and 14929 are all recommended in the peacock thread. Those first two builds date to 2009, while 14929 dates to August of 2010. That means the newest build recommended for this hardware in the peacock thread is already 2 years old: is that really the newest stable/recommended build for this hardware?

Input on this dated hardware and the newest stable/recommended build for it will be appreciated.
Sponsor
hpsenicka
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been using Eko's 15230 builds on my WRT54GL's with good success for some time.
WRT54G v6, v8
WRT54GS v5
WRH54G
jamtat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
hpsenicka wrote:
I have been using Eko's 15230 builds on my WRT54GL's with good success for some time.

Thanks for your input hpsenicka. Do you have any of your WRT54GL's set up as client bridges? I do have a WRT54G here set up as a client: it uses the 13491 build, I believe. It seems to be pretty stable. I used a Lafonera with DD-WRT on it some time ago that had serious problems in client mode, but that was because of poor support for its wifi chipset, as I understood it. I've never tried client bridge mode before, but it's what I need for this WRT54GL I'll be setting up.

Thanks,
James
wouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a WRT54GL v1.1 as Client Bridge working since a few months with 14929 mini (as announced as general recommended build).
Never failed so far with excellent wireless connection to the main router (which is a E4200v2).
jamtat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ugh. The router was advertised as WRT54GL but turned out to be WRT54G v2. I went ahead and bought it anyway since it was so cheap and will work for what I need it to do. But it means the research I was doing for installation was for the wrong router.

At the risk of confusing matters, may I pose in this thread the same question regarding stable/reliable builds, except that, instead of for the WRT54GL, for the WRT54G v2? Might I expect build 15230 to work reliably on this model in client bridge mode?

Also: do I need the VINT version for this router?

Thanks, and sorry for any confusion
wouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I suppose build number recommendation stays valid.
Vint or Newd is found in below topic item 4:
http://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

Pasted from above:
Most routers should use NEWD rather than VINT when they can. VINT is for old routers that cannot support the new wireless drivers. Many new models can ONLY use k26 builds, as explained above - if your original flash from the wiki was a build with k26 in the filename, you must always flash with a k26 build.

You should use VINT builds if you have a corerev=4 or less. If your router is a v.1, REALLY check to ensure whether you need VINT or not.

Here the command that you send to the router to check:

nvram get wl0_corerev
jamtat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the pointers, wouter. I'm finding that the more I do this the more prone problems are to arise: I guess because, since I've done it before, I assume I know more than I actually do.

When I run that command on this router I get "7," which apparently means I don't need VINT. I found some procedures online for putting DD-WRT on the WRT54G v. 2 (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v2.0), which I followed. Loading the micro version on there worked fine. Then I went to upgrade to a different build--14929. I understood I should use the dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin file, which I downloaded from ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/

It said the reflash was successful, but when I got back to the admin interface and changed the username and password, it would not allow me to save any other changes. I did the 30/30/30 reset, and after I'd done that the router ceased to give out any IP's via the RJ45 ports. I powered it off and on again a few times, but still it won't give out any IP's over those ports. Oddly, I can connect to it via wifi, though.

I don't understand what went wrong here. I definitely need the RJ45 ports to work because this is supposed to be a client bridge. I could try reflashing the firmware, but I'd have to do that via wifi since I can't seem to connect by wire. And isn't it true that reflashing is not supposed to be done wirelessly?

I've gotten kinda stuck for now. I may need to start a new thread for this.

Thanks,
James
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
use the wireless to reset the unit to defaults.. or use the reset button (30/30/30).

then clear your browsers cache & cookies or use a diff browser. I use IE.. you were able to access the router to change the password via lan.. so after that, it sounds like a browser issue.

there is nothing wrong with the build you flashed. your router does not need a vint build.

I would use an eko build with newd drivers.. not newd-2. BS only uses newd-2 drivers in his k24 builds. But that is not your problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply, barryware. I did the 30/30/30 reset already, right after it stopped giving out IP's. Would trying it a second time do anything different?

I don't believe there's any browser issue here: I can access the admin page and make and save changes there just fine--so long as I'm wirelessly connected to the router. The problem is that I can't connect to the router by wire: it won't give out any IP's and I've been unable to ping it by assigning various IP's on probable subnets (e.g., 192.168.1.X or 192.168.10.10, now that I've been able to set the network address through the web admin panel I can access and modify when connected wirelessly) to my computer's NIC.

Like I said, I absolutely need to use the wired ports on this router since it's purpose it to function as a client bridge. The only way I can imagine I might bring back the functionality of the wired ports is to reflash the firmware--a dangerous prospect for me since it would need to be done via wifi.

James
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
maybe you bought a used router in which the lan ports are broke (switch).

try all the ports.. try a diff cable..

after that.. It could be your router is busted.

I would still clear the browsers cache.. the lan connection and the wireless connection will make there own set of cookies.

Last edited by barryware on Mon Aug 27, 2012 21:06; edited 1 time in total
jamtat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks barryware. The ports worked previously, which is why I persisted in trying to get them back. And I do have a number of cables around. But I decided to try a second 30/30/30 reset after reading your previous post and, guess what? The wired ports came up working again afterward. Go figure. Looks like whatever glitch that was has been resolved.
wouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can never reset enough, I figuered that you allways need to do multiple hard 30-30-30 resets, combined with the "Factory Defaults" menu choice to really wipe out remnants in the device memory.
Special attention is required when changing firmware versions or builds, then the pre firmware "upgrade" and post "upgrade" resets and "Factory Defaults" are crucial, and must be done a few times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: