Linksys E1000 v2.1

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Tarcas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 15:19    Post subject: Dim Lights Reply with quote
My E1000 v2.1 lights are dim, except that the Wireless and center light are off. It is NOT the power supply as previously suggested, as I tried it with another working power supply from a still-working WRT120N. (which is actually the original one from the E1000.)

The lights come on that way as soon as plugged in (no boot cycle or anything) and remain that way throughout a 30-30-30 reset (except while unplugged, of course) or when pressing the center button. Nothing I do produces any visible response besides unplugging power.

I originally flashed 16968 from Page 2 about 5 or 6 months ago and configured it as a wireless bridge. That project was cancelled, so the router was shelved until yesterday, at which point I pulled it out to reconfigure. I changed things like IPs and VLAN allocations of interfaces, but never flashed a new firmware. After applying changes, I rebooted the router by pulling the power for a while, and when I plugged it back in, this was the case.

Plugging it into my laptop's dock or my Cisco 2924, the foreign ports continue to show that they are not connected, so I have no way to even attempt to ping the E1000.

Besides trying a 3rd power supply or checking whether it's still under warranty, is there anything that might bring this back to life?

Thanks
-Tarcas

Edit: My warranty expired a month ago, so I've soldered in a JTAG cable, but tjtag reports "Couldn't access giveio device" the same as it does when nothing is connected. Unless someone has another suggestion, I think this one unfortunately goes in the garbage.

Last edited by Tarcas on Sat Jul 14, 2012 22:33; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Tehhund
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:41    Post subject: Re: What should I do for flashing ??? Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
dagotto wrote:
Folks,
I bought en E1000 V2.1 , and as an old dd-wrter I want to flash the router.

In the original thread of information:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Cisco_Linksys_.28Wireless_a.2Fb.2Fg.2Fn.29

I click on that install guide, and that redirects me to "Linksys e1000v2 now supported" thread. So, I thought that is what I had to do (i.e. same process for v2.1 than for v2.0), and as in the first page says that "dd-wrt.v24-16758_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_e1000v2.bin" is the one I have to use, I had tried to load this into the router (without any previous reset of any type, using an ethernet cable, and hardcoding 192.168.1.100 as ip address for my PC). I click on firmware update and I just let it begin. After reaching around 10% it answers back: "Firmware upgrade failed"

Is that a problem with the firmware or the router ???

After searching again I found the "Linksys E1000 v2.1
" thread where I read some confusing information.

At the end of it I read the official firmware for upgrading is the one in page 2, "dd-wrt.v24-16968_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_e1000v2.bin" . I also read people with instability of the router, and people that after flashing and performing a 30/30/30 reset bricked their router.

I also read people upgrading using "dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_e1000v2.bin" with odd results ..

So bottom line:

1) The official wiki page points to the incorrect place
2) Hence, I had tried to flash with 16758 and the answers back from the router was "Firmware upgrade failed" (it was the first appearing in that thread)
3) In some parts of the V2.1 thread I read I must initially flash with 16968, and after that upgrading to newer versions
4) In some part of this V2.1 thread I read some tried to later upgrade with 17990 or other.

So: what should I do ?? What is the official release for initial flashing ? After flashing with that, what is the most stable version I should upgrade to ??

Yes indeed.. the wiki is incorrect (supported devices grid)for the 2.1. 16968 was the 1st build for this router. It can be found on page two of this thread.

After you make the initial flash, you can flash any build the router supports, but it must be post 16968 because that is the 1st build that supported this router.

Okay, as pointed out above this thread is a hot mess of bad information (and good, but it's tough to tell the two apart). But if the quoted exchange is correct, then the correct build to start with when flashing a E1000 v2.1 is build 16968. Is that correct - always start with build 16968 (specifically dd-wrt.v24-16968_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_e1000v2.bin) when flashing a E1000 v2.1?

Once that's done, is there a recommended build to move to? On 4/28/2012 tedm mentioned that he had build 18774 up and running (using this file: dd-wrt.v24-18774_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_e1000v2.bin). Is that the most recent build that's confirmed working for the E1000 v2.1?

I personally want to use my E1000 v2.1 as a wireless repeater bridge (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge), so any suggestions regarding which build to use to get this working as a repeater bridge would be appreciated. But I thought I'd ask more generally so the next person to stumble on this thread also gets a clear answer.
turb0srfun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 13:01    Post subject: DHCP not working? Reply with quote
For some reason, anytime I change my subnet mask from the default class C 255.255.255.0, my DHCP server stops working. I've tried it on 2 different builds on the e1000 v2.1. Is this a known bug? It's not the end of the world if it can't/won't be fixed, but my current addressing scheme doesn't use the default 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.

Thank you
kimxk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
According to http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043 there are no N drivers in the micro build.

Can someone confirm there are N drivers in the mini builds for the e1000 v2.1?
kimxk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
After finding this post
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=155286

I can confirm that going back to the 16968 build fixes my N speed issues.

There is something broken in later builds.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 18:59    Post subject: Re: Dim Lights Reply with quote
Tarcas wrote:
My E1000 v2.1 lights are dim, except that the Wireless and center light are off. It is NOT the power supply as previously suggested, as I tried it with another working power supply from a still-working WRT120N. (which is actually the original one from the E1000.)

The lights come on that way as soon as plugged in (no boot cycle or anything) and remain that way throughout a 30-30-30 reset (except while unplugged, of course) or when pressing the center button. Nothing I do produces any visible response besides unplugging power.

I originally flashed 16968 from Page 2 about 5 or 6 months ago and configured it as a wireless bridge. That project was cancelled, so the router was shelved until yesterday, at which point I pulled it out to reconfigure. I changed things like IPs and VLAN allocations of interfaces, but never flashed a new firmware. After applying changes, I rebooted the router by pulling the power for a while, and when I plugged it back in, this was the case.

Plugging it into my laptop's dock or my Cisco 2924, the foreign ports continue to show that they are not connected, so I have no way to even attempt to ping the E1000.

Besides trying a 3rd power supply or checking whether it's still under warranty, is there anything that might bring this back to life?

Thanks
-Tarcas

Edit: My warranty expired a month ago, so I've soldered in a JTAG cable, but tjtag reports "Couldn't access giveio device" the same as it does when nothing is connected. Unless someone has another suggestion, I think this one unfortunately goes in the garbage.

I’m in the same position. I just did a reset and the LEDs dimmed, yet the power-adapter is definitely fine.

I’m going to try to find a cable to attempt some of the recovery procedures listed. If it works, I’ll just put the stock firmware on it and sell it since I need a feature that isn’t in the stock firmware and using DD-WRT doesn’t work. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 19:03    Post subject: Re: LED lights shining dimly Reply with quote
tedm wrote:
Folks,

If you have any of the following symptoms:

LED lights shining dimly

Router runs fine for months then suddenly stops passing traffic

Router won't reboot or reset

Traffic in router is sluggish

then your AC adapter wall wart MAY have gone bad. To save money Cisco went to switching power supplies in the wall warts instead of the older transformer/rectifier setup. You can tell the switching supplies because they are so much lighter. The problem is that they are CHEAP and (in my experience) have a high failure rate. And when they fail they don't always drop voltage when they are unloaded. Meaning that a DMM will measure 12v across the DC plug when the supply is plugged in the wall, but DC voltage will sink the moment the supply is plugged in.

I am seeing E1000's nowadays in the bargain bins at Goodwill, these are probably 1 year old routers - but they are being discarded because the power adapters have failed, not the router, and people don't know any better.

That’s good information. Unfortunately, unless the E1000 has some sort of weird power usage, then it isn’t the explanation for my situation because I tested the router with three different power-adapters and tested other devices with the router’s power-adapter. Sad
matus12345
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 21:40    Post subject: Bad adapter Reply with quote
Hello Buggless! I have wrote http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=146185 about "bricked" E1000 but i think that was problem of adapter or something in powering chipset.. i just coocked router. I hope this is not your case.
30secboard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys.
For those are just starting reading this long topic:

The firmware version that will work flashing from the cisco factory firmware is the v24-16968
The complete file name is:
dd-wrt.v24-16968_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_e1000v2
You can find it in the second page on the EKO post on
Tue May 03, 2011 11:44 am.

Now, my question to @eko or @barryware would be:

- Should we leave that version? or after having the 16968 we should upgrate to another (maybe more stable) version?

thanks
nhsqr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:04    Post subject: Re: Dim Lights Reply with quote
Tarcas wrote:

Thanks
-Tarcas

I have exactly the same problem with my E1000 v2.1 router. It happened when I tried to flash new firmware through serial recovery. I was able to get CFE prompt and I did "nvram erase" and then "flash -ctheader : flash1.trx" and I uploaded the firmware via tftp. Then entered CFE command "go" and it said that the router will reboot but it never did.
I didn't find JTAG pinouts for E1000 v2.1 if anyone have them please let me know. And of course if anyone have dealt with this problem - please share Smile

tushar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 14:48    Post subject: Google DNS Reply with quote
Just installed dd-wrt.v24-16968_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_e1000v2 for my Linksys E-1000 V2.1 Router everything working fine but how do i assign google DNS in router there is option like DNS1 DNS2 DNS3 optional like Linksys Firmware.

Capture1.JPG
 Description:
For your reference what i want
 Filesize:  29.64 KB
 Viewed:  22606 Time(s)

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG
 Description:
No option to assign DNS 1 2 3
 Filesize:  45.21 KB
 Viewed:  22606 Time(s)

Capture.JPG

kimxk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:08    Post subject: Re: Google DNS Reply with quote
tushar wrote:
Just installed dd-wrt.v24-16968_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_e1000v2 for my Linksys E-1000 V2.1 Router everything working fine but how do i assign google DNS in router there is option like DNS1 DNS2 DNS3 optional like Linksys Firmware.

Don't you set that on the Setup / Basic setup tab?

I only allow the PCs on my LAN to use the router as DNS so that the addblock / pixelserv thing works.

e1000dnssetup.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.71 KB
 Viewed:  22532 Time(s)

e1000dnssetup.jpg

CTSolutions
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 16:34    Post subject: Re: Google DNS Reply with quote
kimxk wrote:
tushar wrote:

I only allow the PCs on my LAN to use the router as DNS so that the addblock / pixelserv thing works.

I think kimxk is right here. It normally has the router act as your DNS server. The router can talk to multiple external DNS servers for redundancy, but there are many advantages to having all internal hosts share a single DNS source, including caching, continuity of DNS responses, and fewer sessions to keep track of via NAT/PAT.
tushar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:26    Post subject: Re: Google DNS Reply with quote
what im trying to do is Router must assign DNS to my all connected system using Google PUB DNS. will that first option WAN IP and DNS do the same thing?

CTSolutions wrote:
kimxk wrote:
tushar wrote:

I think kimxk is right here. It normally has the router act as your DNS server. The router can talk to multiple external DNS servers for redundancy, but there are many advantages to having all internal hosts share a single DNS source, including caching, continuity of DNS responses, and fewer sessions to keep track of via NAT/PAT.
gamer1612
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:51    Post subject: What firmware now? Reply with quote
I flashed from stock to the firmware on page 2 (the second one) shortly after I purchased the router several months ago and have been on it with no issues ever since.

However, I am now trying to set up no-ip and port forwarding and there is not a DDNS option for No-IP as most how-to guides on setting up No-IP say there should be.

Am I correct in saying that now that I am already running DD-WRT I can upgrade to a better firmware? If so, what firmware should I upgrade to?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17, 18, 19  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 10 of 19
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: