Linksys WRT54GS V7 as Repeater Bridge No Internet Connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Apex2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 22:59    Post subject: Linksys WRT54GS V7 as Repeater Bridge No Internet Connection Reply with quote
Hi All!
I am new here and hope this is the right forum.
Here is my set-up and questions:

Separate small home office building with AT T Uverse wi-fi modem 3600 HGV, my desktop PC connected to it via ethernet. The rest of the small (separate building) house has somewhat weak wi fi signal so I got a wi fi signal extender (Edimax N300) in there and the signal is way better. In the house I use laptop and it connects great via the extender.
Now to my dilemma..
I have a blue ray player (Panasonic BDT 110) with no built in wi fi, but it accepts internet signal via LAN, so to use Netflix I got an old Linksys WRT54GS v7 that I just flashed with the dd-WRT v24-sp2. (There are brand specific USB LAN wi fi dongles for the blue ray to buy at high prices instead if you are so inclined). The flash went fine and I can access the dd-wrt control panel etc. Plan is to connect this device to Blue ray player, taking advantage of the wi fi signal extender's better internet signal.
I hooked it up and Blue ray player tells me it connects fine with home network but NOT Internet.

I am not sure if I have configured my dd-wrt correctly..guessing not.
Blue ray gets stuck on verifying IP address..
Under dd-wrt Network Set up, first I used the IP address that my extender show - didn't work. Then I changed to what is listed on my desktop pc under Network /LAN connections as "Default Gateway" - that didn't work. The device I list to connect to is still the Extender. I am guessing I use the wrong IP address? Where and how to find the correct one? Any ideas anyone? Thanks!
Sponsor
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you want client bridged. It's what I used for my xbox360.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was under the impression that the only difference between the two is that Repeater Bridge can both receive and send signal, client only receive signal. But I could be wrong, very new to this indeed...worth a try.
Thanks
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Apex2 wrote:
I was under the impression that the only difference between the two is that Repeater Bridge can both receive and send signal, client only receive signal. But I could be wrong, very new to this indeed...worth a try.
Thanks

Your understanding is incorrect. Wifi is always bi-directionial. Read the linking routers wiki.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Apex2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK Thank you, read the definitions, according to this it should work in either repeater or client bridge.
But my problem still remains - how to connect?
It seems that IP adress is not matched by Blue Ray player..
Anyone any ideas where to look?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: