Asus RT-N66U: Stock firmware vs. DD-WRT vs. Tomato

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
FlyingToaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 23:04    Post subject: Asus RT-N66U: Stock firmware vs. DD-WRT vs. Tomato Reply with quote
I have an Asus RT-N66U router with which I'm still using the stock Asus firmware, which has been working fine for me so far. I have used DD-WRT on previous routers I've owned and really like its look and feel and the features it offers. I have been considering flashing DD-WRT on my router, but I've been wondering, is there anything that DD-WRT offers that the stock Asus RT-N66U firmware doesn't offer? My main concerns are having similar network performance and having the same capabilities, such as the ability to use both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless bands, QoS, and network storage via the USB ports. Would it be worth flashing DD-WRT on the Asus RT-N66U router?

Another thing that has me concerned is that I've read a lot of people raving about the Tomato firmware, which seems to be very popular these days, particularly with my router. Several months ago, I also read an article where someone tested the network speed of the stock Asus firmware vs. DD-WRT vs. Tomato and found that the Asus firmware was fastest, followed by Tomato, and then DD-WRT. I've also read that Tomato's QoS is better than DD-WRT's QoS. Is that true? I had actually flashed the Tomato firmware but ended up deciding to go back to the stock Asus firmware - I don't remember exactly why, but I do seem to remember that the Tomato firmware seemed to offer less functionality than the Asus firmware.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: