Client Bridge + AllShare (SmartTV)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
sribas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 17:58    Post subject: Client Bridge + AllShare (SmartTV) Reply with quote
Hi All,

First of all, let me thank everyone who may read this post and try to help me, it is much appreciated. Also let me apologise if I place the thread on the wrong section.

To the point:
My FW version / Hardware:
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/19/12)
Hardware: TP-Link TL-WR740N v4

I have a Samsung SmartTV with no built-in wireless capabilities, so I decided to use the router as a client bridge to the WiFi I share with my neighbour. The internet connection works with no problem at all, this means I can use the different apps and download content with no problems at all straight from the TV. The problem comes when I try to use the multimedia capabilities the TV has (AllShare, for example). I can't use any DLNA/NAS or multimedia server to stream to the TV since I can't see it on the network.
I scanned my network using Fing (iPhone) and it says textually that the node (router) has 2 ip's, the router itself (192.128.1.6) and the TV (192.168.1.128), so the server manager can't find it, therefore I can't stream to the TV or I can't find it as a media source. I've tried moving the TV to my neighbour's and plugging it straight to the host router and it works, so it is not the TV that fails, it is something I'm setting up wrong in the router.

The wireless Isolation mode is disabled. Both my computer and my router are under the same subnet.

Does anyone have a clue on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks very much, I hope I explained the problem precisely.
Sponsor
jebise101
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
like you i bought a smart dlna tv as well (with wireless bridge) and had constant issues with dlna, the tv would always be connected to the internet but it was a pain to actually stream any content from the nas or phones as if it where never connected to the same network when using auto ip

When i went to manually set the ip on the tv i noticed the subnet was 255.255.0.0 rather then 255.255.255.0 which explains why when the tv was set to get an auto ip my other devices failed to see it. That and i set the ip address out side of the dhcp.
sribas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi!

Thanks for answering.
I've tried setting the IP settings manually. Didn't work out. Same problem.
The DNS and mask settings are exactly the same for all the computers in the network.
BTW, ping to the TV works perfectly.
The Mentalist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having a similar problem using my Xbox to a client bridge. The Xbox is connected to the internet and shows up as a client on my AP but I can't get my computer and Xbox to talk. Hopefully someone can come through and point us in the right direction.
sribas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anybody has a clue?
The Mentalist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
sribas wrote:
Anybody has a clue?

I guess not.
campigenus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you ping your TV from your PC? (The one running the media server.)

Also, what media server are you using?

Also, also, have you made SURE all of the router's firewall features are off?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I´ve got a similar configuration (Samsung TV with ethernet port and WRT740N V4 configured as a client-bridge, and a TP-LINK WRT940ND as the primary router)
It seems like dd-wrt changed the way it handles UPnP devices, since this is needed for the correct operation of AllShare or any other media server that deals with the TV , from the dd-wrt build #18000. This means that, there is no suitable version for the V4 that allows you to use your router with UPnP correctly, then there is no way until now to flash this router and make it work with Allshare.
So I returned to the factory values, and the original stock firmware, and I found a workaround that might be useful to make Allshare work, mine is working like a charm.
You should enable WDS bridging on the WRT740N. You can find this option under Wireless Settings. If you check the "Enable WDS Bridging" checkbox, a couple of fields will be displayed for you to fill them with the correct values. You´ll need the SSID and the MAC Address of the primary router, the kind of encryption that the network is using and the key. That´s all!
However, I tested this only between two TP-LINK Routers, I don´t know if WDS bridging works with a non-TP Link primary router, but it worth to test it!
tingu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been facing same problem with Smart TV and TP-Link's WR740N.

Hoping for people at DD-WRT to see this and help us find some solution.
Presterin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only solution I found with my routers, is to use WDS.
predator666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
solved..see here

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=161963
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: