Random Restarts and issues with FaceTime on RT- N66U

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
thegyzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:54    Post subject: Random Restarts and issues with FaceTime on RT- N66U Reply with quote
I am using build v24-sp2 (04/07/12) big.

I currently have two different issues:

1. Anywhere from about every 12 hours to every 48 hours my router reboots itself. It's been random where sometimes it reboots in the middle of the day, and other times at 1:30am when no one is actively doing anything. I cannot correlate this to any specific kind of traffic or activity being done.

2. Having issues with FaceTime on two iPhones, one a 4S another a 5, and an iPad 2. This has been since day 1 of using this router. At first I didn't have QoS setup. After I set it up it seems to be smoother, with only occasional disconnects during the call. Though I just had it not able to make a connection.

I have specified several ports to be prioritized over others. These are the ports that Apple lists as being what FaceTime uses. These typically are the ports Apple will ask you to setup for Port Forwarding if you are having issues with FaceTime.

I really only have basic settings setup on the router. It's memory usage is next to nothing and the NVRAM sits at about 28.44 KB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated seeing as the wife is getting really pissed off about it all.
Sponsor
thegyzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
If there is more detailed data needed please just let me know. I work from home on this router and if I need to reflash it or go back to the mini build then I will. I thought I'd use more features of the big build but I'm not.
thegyzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Really, no thoughts or suggestions on this one?
GH0
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have an iphone, and most likely the issue could occur because you are running out of NVRAM, I have no idea to be honest.
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is a nvram/CFE issue...

-Fractal
thegyzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal,

Thank you. What should I do? Should I go down to the mini build to conserve on NVRAM? Honestly I'm not using any of the extra features in the big build.

If I go down to the mini, can I just upload it via the dd-wrt interface under administration, or do I need to go back to how I got the big build working originally?
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
thegyzer wrote:
Fractal,

Thank you. What should I do? Should I go down to the mini build to conserve on NVRAM? Honestly I'm not using any of the extra features in the big build.

If I go down to the mini, can I just upload it via the dd-wrt interface under administration, or do I need to go back to how I got the big build working originally?

if you are pretty computer savvy and want to get the most out of your router, I would consider checking out the CFE thread for the 66U, I updated mine now I can run any build without problem on my 66U

You could drop to mini, however services such as ttraf and upnp will fill it up in no time and put you right back to where you are now.

-Fractal
thegyzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal, you guys are amazing. I read through the thread and I'm pretty sure I've got it all down but I just want to make sure.

1. Can I go straight to Merlin from what I'm running now or do I have to go to the stock Asus firmware?
2. After I move the CFE from the router to my Linux box and run the script, I can then go to one of your builds on the FTP, correct? Or do I need to start from scratch again and do the mini build for 32KB nvram first and then go to one of your builds?

I really wish one of you guys would go back to one of the first posts in the thread and edit it to show the entire process, with links and all in just a single post. I'm 95% sure I get how to do this but I've got some doubts considering that I could screw up and brick my router.

Again thank you for your hard work!
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you flash one of the older builds from when the router only had 32k nvram you will brick it.
Read the other thread carefully, someone dupes covered that the hard way.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=163479

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal you guys are absolutely amazing!!

I just took the time today to update the CFE on my N66U and it worked. Took me about 3 hours though. Mainly my fault with trying to use scp from the router to my linux server and the router not liking it. Eventually broke down and just downloaded Winscp. That would have saved me over an hour of issues.

It's funny cause now I'm using less NVRAM then before. Using about 27.59KB down from 28 or 29KB before.

One issue though; My cable modem's LAN link light is blinking red/orange when before it didn't. I have full connectivity to the Internet so I'm not sure why it's doing that.

Also I've noticed that even though my latency seems to be a bit higher than before my bandwith is just fine. Sites do seem to load up a bit slower, but it could just be coincidence.

Gonna give it a good 48 hours before I do anything else to it. Last couple days before upgrading the CFE I've had it reboot 3 times in a single day. If I get no reboots in 48 hours I'm gonna say this issue is solved.
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
thegyzer wrote:
Fractal you guys are absolutely amazing!!

I just took the time today to update the CFE on my N66U and it worked. Took me about 3 hours though. Mainly my fault with trying to use scp from the router to my linux server and the router not liking it. Eventually broke down and just downloaded Winscp. That would have saved me over an hour of issues.

It's funny cause now I'm using less NVRAM then before. Using about 27.59KB down from 28 or 29KB before.

One issue though; My cable modem's LAN link light is blinking red/orange when before it didn't. I have full connectivity to the Internet so I'm not sure why it's doing that.

Also I've noticed that even though my latency seems to be a bit higher than before my bandwith is just fine. Sites do seem to load up a bit slower, but it could just be coincidence.

Gonna give it a good 48 hours before I do anything else to it. Last couple days before upgrading the CFE I've had it reboot 3 times in a single day. If I get no reboots in 48 hours I'm gonna say this issue is solved.

Well now that you have 64K cfe you can turn on UPNP and that will help especially if you have windows 8 and all its media programs... Also check under wireless settings and make sure you dont have afterburner on... oh and 1 last thing... telnet into the router and do:

wl -i eth1 interference 2

This turns on interference mitigation mode and makes it stick, this helps in high noise 2.4ghz enviorments.... I get 300mb on 2.4ghz band with my n66U and 450mbs on the 5ghz band with my macbook pro 2012.

-Fractal
thegyzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips.

Found out that my problem was my cable modem. With all the power cycling I did on it , it freaked out. Cable company sent a reset signal to it and everything is fine again.
thegyzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router rebooted before it hit 48 hours. I wasn't home when it happened.

Fractal, any ideas? Anything I should check? I haven't done anything yet that you mentioned in your last post.
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Telnet in and run "nvram show". See how much nvram you have left. You might be running out of nvram.
thegyzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I look at the nvram on the status page it says 27.75 KB / 64 KB. When I run the "nvram show" I get this: size: 29991 bytes (35545 left).

Why would the command line show different numbers than what's being showed in the interface?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: