Can't set up WAN via PPPoE and DSL modem (Motorola 3360)

pasha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:33    Post subject: Can't set up WAN via PPPoE and DSL modem (Motorola 3360) Reply with quote
I am not sure if this would qualify as advanced networking but here's the issue I am having:

I have set up Internet service with ATT using their DSL modem - Motorola 3360. It's a modem/router combo, so in order to use my WRT160N I have to set the DSL modem to Bridge mode, which I did. Then I reset my router and set up PPPoE username and password for ATT. All of the settings on that page are disabled except for the DHCP server. When I reboot all devices in the correct sequence and go to the WAN Status page in DD-WRT, I see that I am not connected. I try reconnecting manually and I see a a screen with "Connection Type: Disabled" for just a moment and then it returns to the main WAN Status page with the status "disconnected".

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I did log out/disconnected from my ATT account using the modem before I set it to bridge mode. I even tried using a bogus username and password on the modem because apparently Motorola's firmware is flawed and keeps reconnecting even in the bridge mode (which screws up authentication via the router). I feel like I am missing something very simple. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
ddwrt-dave
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
if it was me I would just set the 3360 in pass through (DMZ- which I believe the 3360 can do) mode and let the 3360 do the PPPoE and set your dd-wrt to DHCP and let it send traffic via DHCP. That would probably be the easiest, then it wouldn't be any different than say a cable modem type of service. I used to have a 2wire 2701HG-B for testing at the house and I just let it do the PPPoE and listed my router in the DMZ+ mode/area of the 2wire. I got everything and the 2wire maintained the connection flawlessly. I believe if memory serves the 3360 can operate in about the same fashion. I don't have the 3360 manual/simulator in front of me but it should allow something to that nature or go in the modem and look for "Let public address pass to device?" and select "yes, public address to device"

Essentially either way you will accomplish what you want.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
pasha,

I have experienced the same issue within the past week for two different AT&T PPPoE accounts and on three different routers and two separate DSL modem models. In each case, I set the DSL modem in bridge mode and configured the router to handle the PPPoE login. It failed each time, sometimes with the 'disabled' message.

AT&T claims they have changed nothing, but I question this since it has always worked for me in the past. The only workaround I could find was to use double-NATing with the router set to get its IP address automatically and with the DSL modem configured to handle the PPPoE login. If you do this, you should configure the router to use a different subnet than what the DSL modem uses for doling out LAN IP addresses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: