RT-N66 CFE Thread

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
reggieP
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
benito11 wrote:
sudo apt-get install iceweasel

The main problem is that firefox is not free I guess. Iceweasel is the free version of firefox.

Anyway almost all the commands are listed in this thread... and you need to deal with linux at the router anyway because dd-wrt is linux-based. The commands are the same.

Mac is linux based also... the difference is that it only works with some hardware and it has intuitive GUI which can only make "some" things, it is not so powerful.

You will have to learn it soon or later so give it a chance... it seems difficult for user tasks, but it is a lot more powerful and simple for development tasks.

So here we go again, same old frustrations. Got Virtualbox installed with Ubuntu. Error trying to get the .tar file extracted, so I can get the script files pulled out. Says "does not look like a tar file" When I try to copy the file over from my server, it copies over with the filename, but the size is 0 kB. Linux will forever be a frustration to me. Tried installing guest additions and enabling a shared folder, but cannot get a file copied over.

Seriously.....
Sponsor
reggieP
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
So after 90 minutes of fighting to get a USB flash drive recognized by Virtualbox, I copied the tar file to Home. Doubleclicked it and copied the files to Home. Copied the cfe.original to Home.

Ran the update and got the following:

kurt@kurt-VirtualBox:~$ ./cfe_update.sh cfe.original cfe.new
[1/4] Dumping default NVRAM settings from your CFE...
./cfe_update.sh: 9: ./cfe_update.sh: ./nvsimple: not found
[2/4] Modifying NVRAM settings (silent step)...
[3/4] Creating new CFE...
4092+0 records in
4092+0 records out
4092 bytes (4.1 kB) copied, 0.0131471 s, 311 kB/s
./cfe_update.sh: 19: ./cfe_update.sh: ./nvserial: not found
[4/4] Checking differences between NVRAM from old and new CFE's
If you see only two differences: one is for 'bl_version' and second is a new 'odmpid=ASUS' variable then all step are done! New CFE image 'cfe.new' is prepared for flash.
kurt@kurt-VirtualBox:~$
ryzhov_al
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
reggieP wrote:
/cfe_update.sh: 19: ./cfe_update.sh: ./nvserial: not found
Something still goes wrong: no i386 binary can be executed on target PC.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
reggieP wrote:
benito11 wrote:
sudo apt-get install iceweasel

The main problem is that firefox is not free I guess. Iceweasel is the free version of firefox.

Anyway almost all the commands are listed in this thread... and you need to deal with linux at the router anyway because dd-wrt is linux-based. The commands are the same.

Mac is linux based also... the difference is that it only works with some hardware and it has intuitive GUI which can only make "some" things, it is not so powerful.

You will have to learn it soon or later so give it a chance... it seems difficult for user tasks, but it is a lot more powerful and simple for development tasks.

So here we go again, same old frustrations. Got Virtualbox installed with Ubuntu. Error trying to get the .tar file extracted, so I can get the script files pulled out. Says "does not look like a tar file" When I try to copy the file over from my server, it copies over with the filename, but the size is 0 kB. Linux will forever be a frustration to me. Tried installing guest additions and enabling a shared folder, but cannot get a file copied over.

Seriously.....

You should look into this: http://www.hypexr.org/linux_scp_help.php
benito11
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tomorrow i will put all the commands for debian 6 64 bit.

You can decompresss a tar.gz with

Tar zxvf file.tar.gz

Remember that if you don't decompress like this some ways don't keep file permissons.

To add execution permisson to a file execute
Chmod +x file

Capital letters are added by my mobile phone. They should be all lowercase.
oh2d
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok guys I need some help setting up the OpenVPN Server

(not sure if this is really the right thread but i will put it here as I have updated my CFE and am running Fractals 64k builds)

I have all my certs and keys generated no problem but i cant seem to connect to my VPN. Im not sure if this a server config problem, client config problem or a firewall problem.
From my understanding this guide is no longer valid as now all of the firewall work is done automatically
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VPN_%28the_easy_way%29_v24%2B

All i get is connection errors such as
when protocol is set to udp i get "connection was reset" error
and when protocol is set to TCP i get connection was refused error.

Thanks for the help guys! Smile
benito11
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems iptables missconfiguration. Post the openvpn log. I think it is not related to cfe so I would make a new thread and specify there that you have this config.

I have tested the fixed key way but I used the start script and iptables script because the web interface was ko in the previous release.

Post all the keys and config you make and the openvpn log and dmesg log and I will try to help you. You can post here a link to the new thread
jprez1980
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
ryzhov_al wrote:
reggieP wrote:
/cfe_update.sh: 19: ./cfe_update.sh: ./nvserial: not found
Something still goes wrong: no i386 binary can be executed on target PC.

I was running into this also.

I'm using Ubuntu on a ia64 machine using VM software. Easiest solution I found was to install the missing ia32 libraries….problem solved.

Access the Ubuntu Software Center from the GUI, search for "ia32-lib" and install both packages (Multi-Arch and ia32 Shared) - reboot and re-run script and voila.

Your mileage may vary. You'll need the SU password to complete the software installs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe it will just sound stupid, yeah i know mint is based on ubuntu.
But when i compile with ubuntu there is always something that goes wrong.
I am compiling with mint at this moment in Virtualbox because VMware gave me so much headaches.

So linux mint 13 in Virtualbox works for me maybe you guys should try it out.

I gave up on ubuntu
jprez1980
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to confirm - I read the entire thread.....so now that I have a cfe.new file - is it safe to go ahead and upload it to the router? I'm running Merlin's ASUS-WRT and wanted to make sure that upon reboot it doesn't brick - apparently (per the thread) running certain firmware after fixing the CFE will brick the router.

Said another way - is there some other firmware that should be on the router first before I update the CFE?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
jprez1980 wrote:
Just wanted to confirm - I read the entire thread.....so now that I have a cfe.new file - is it safe to go ahead and upload it to the router? I'm running Merlin's ASUS-WRT and wanted to make sure that upon reboot it doesn't brick - apparently (per the thread) running certain firmware after fixing the CFE will brick the router.

Said another way - is there some other firmware that should be on the router first before I update the CFE?

Thanks!

I would certainly not flash the cfe you got from the attempt with the log you provided before, that will brick the router.
jprez1980
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh definitely - I was able to get past that after installing 2 libraries in Ubuntu - the script worked fine afterwards. File size matches as well - just wasn't sure the proper order and I upgrading the CFE with Merlin's build would brick the device after reboot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
jprez1980 wrote:
Oh definitely - I was able to get past that after installing 2 libraries in Ubuntu - the script worked fine afterwards. File size matches as well - just wasn't sure the proper order and I upgrading the CFE with Merlin's build would brick the device after reboot.

I did it on Merlin's build, so that should be fine.
benito11
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did with latest rmerlin fw with no problems. Remember to erase nvram with wps button while starting after flashing new cfe.

I did it with two routers with any problem Wink
reggieP
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
jprez1980 wrote:

I was running into this also.

I'm using Ubuntu on a ia64 machine using VM software. Easiest solution I found was to install the missing ia32 libraries….problem solved.

Access the Ubuntu Software Center from the GUI, search for "ia32-lib" and install both packages (Multi-Arch and ia32 Shared) - reboot and re-run script and voila.

Thank you ! That did the trick. What a frustrating experience.

So I got the CFE updated to 1.0.1.3, confirmed by both "cat /dev/mtd0ro | grep bl_version" and "nvram get bl_version"

Reset NVRAM, rebooted, and confirmed the stock ASUS firmware was still running. Then held the reset while powering on to bring up the CFE web interface, and flashed to the 64K version mega build 20202. Did a 30/30/30, and DD-WRT reports 29.29 KB / 64 KB NVRAM size, and everything appears to be working according to the latest settings I entered in. NAT, reservations, port forwarding, all working good.

Only thing is, I can't seem to get the right credentials for telnet. **forget it, figured it out - all is good**
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 35, 36, 37  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 18 of 37
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: