WL500G, DD-WRT and hybrid WDS mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
chicagorich
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 17:30    Post subject: ASUS and dd-wrt Reply with quote
Just to share a little on my experiences with the ASUS WL-500g Deluxe router and dd-wrt. I confess to being a near complete novice here..but for what it is worth.

It took me a while to realize that dd-wrt seems to do funny things with the MAC address of a router as far as how routers communicate with each other. For instance, the MAC address that I always used with my WL-500g with the ASUS or OLEG firmware installed was the MAC address that was listed on the bottom of the router and on the box...something like 00:13:D4:C4:04:12.

What it took a while for me to get in order to make the ASUS router talk to other routers (Buffalo, ASUS WL-500g Premium) was to recognize that the dd-wrt firmware was creating other MAC addresses for the WL-500g Deluxe..one for wireless..one for wired LAN, etc..

So.the upshot was to recognize that the MAC address that had worked just swell with the ASUS firmware or the OLEG firmware...namely 00:13:D4:C4:04:12...was not the MAC address that I needed to use when dd-wrt was loaded as the firmware.

Through the mysterious..at least to me..dd-wrt firmware magic.I now had to use the MAC address 00:13:D4:C4:04:14 to get WDS links to work.

And this was also true if I had dd-wrt loaded on a Buffalo router. It was weird. The only way I knew for sure which MAC address to use for setting up WDS under dd-wrt firmware was to activate the router with dd-wrt installed and then run a utility like NetStumbler that would scan for networks so that I could see what MAC address that dd-wrt was broadcasting for the network..

You may already be aware of this..but it took me a while to see that the MAC address for my WL-500g Deluxe that worked just fine under the ASUS firmware was not the MAC address that I needed to use when dd-wrt firmware was installed on the router..

Sponsor
eloon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 20:12    Post subject: Re: ASUS and dd-wrt Reply with quote
chicagorich wrote:
What it took a while for me to get in order to make the ASUS router talk to other routers (Buffalo, ASUS WL-500g Premium) was to recognize that the dd-wrt firmware was creating other MAC addresses for the WL-500g Deluxe..one for wireless..one for wired LAN, etc..

Chicagorich, you're the man!!!!!
The changed MAC address was the cause of my problem!!!
The original ASUS firmware used only one MAC address which ended with F9:50.
After upgrading to DD-WRT, the ASUS started using MAC address F9:50 for LAN, F9:51 for WAN and F9:52 for WiFi. F9:50 was the MAC listed in the remote AP and thus it wasn't accepting me. I changed it through Setup => MAC Address Clone to the old F9:50 and voila, it worked!
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!!
Kindest regards,
Eric
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: