Can't save/apply WPA Algoriths AES anymore!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
manulae
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 21:32    Post subject: Can't save/apply WPA Algoriths AES anymore! Reply with quote
Hello,
my Linksys WRT54GL was working fine with v24-sp2 vpn - build 13064 for more then one year. Since a couple of weeks the router suddenly switches WPA Algorithms from AES to TKIS. In this case I don't get any wlan connection to my router anymore, because WPA2 Personal and TKIS is not supported. If I change it back to AES and push the save buttom, AES is still configured. But if I push apply settings then WPA Algorithms goes back to TKIP.

Any suggestion? Should I upgrade to the most recent build for WRT54GL v1.1? Which version/build would that be?

Manuel

Last edited by manulae on Thu Nov 03, 2011 21:36; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
SebasMiles
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would go ahead and upgrade to the latest recommended version per peacock thread. Please make sure to read that thread carefully to find a proper build for your router.
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please read the "Peacock" thread. That build (13064) is problematic and I am surprised that it lasted you as long as it did. It could be many reasons your router "lost" its information. Likely, your nvram filled up and that is why stuff reset.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
manulae
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,
thank you very much for your answer. I'm confused, my build really worked very very reliable for more then one year. Which vpn-build do you suggest for WRT54GL v1.1. I read in the Peacock Thread that I shouldn't use the dd-wrt database to get the right build.

What about all my settings and vpn keys? Can I create a backukp and restore it after installing the new build?

Thank you for your help.

Manuel
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
manulae wrote:
What about all my settings and vpn keys? Can I create a backukp and restore it after installing the new build?

Thank you for your help.

Manuel

No. And you need to read the peacock again as this is clearly explained. What else did you miss?

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
manulae
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry about my dump questions. I now read the peacock thread very carefully and I have no further questions Embarassed

As recommended in the thread I'll install Brainslayer 14929 from ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin

Hope my problems will be solved.

Thank you guys for your great work! I really love dd-wrt (vpn). It works so reliable, even with 13062 Embarassed but WLAN switched off.

Manuel
manulae
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello
I've only one more question and I couldn't find the answer in the peacock thread. Should I choose Don't reset or Reset to Default Settings after flushing the new firmware on Administration --> Firmware Upgrade tab on dd-wrt?

Many thanks.
Manuel
SebasMiles
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its not really necesary if you follow the correct procedure for resetting the nvram using 30-30-30 method.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Choose reset to default. It won't hurt anything.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
manulae
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:23    Post subject: Loosing WPA Algorithmus AES again Reply with quote
Hello Together
After updating to Brainslayer 14929 I'm having the same problem again. For some reason my WPA Algorithmus is falling back to TKIP. If I try to change it to AES and click on Apply Settings it falls back to TKIP again.

Very annoying problem. I thought that Brainslayer 14929 is the most stable Version for a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1.

Thank you for your help.

Manuel
euphonek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 22:21    Post subject: me too... Reply with quote
To give credence to this issue, I am also experiencing the exact same thing.

We are using the same hardware (WRT54GL) and I'm currently on the 13064 build.

I have mine configured with TWO SSIDs, one on the physical interface (ssid1) and one on a virtual interface (ssid2). Both are set for WPA Personal 2 - AES. The ssid1 is setup as a non-broadcasted "backbone" network for another AP to wirelessly connect to (in repeater bridge mode). The ssid2 is the broadcasted network for users to connect to (this is also broadcasted from the remote repeater bridge AP).

This configuration has been running fine for a couple months now, but suddenly it started switching the WPA Algorithm after a hard reboot (which I have scheduled once a week).

The first time this occurred, I was able to change the setting back and everything went back to normal (after MUCH troubleshooting of and searching for the issue - I actually thought that I had inadvertently changed it and that something else I did resolved the "original" issue). The next time this occurred, I was unable to get AES to "APPLY" unless I removed the virtual interface, then disabled encryption completely, then re-enabling it with AES.

If I now go back and add the virtual wireless interface again, the ssid1 reverts back to TKIP again. The thing I find interesting is that the virtual interface never reverts to TKIP...

First step is I will update to the forum-recommended build, currently 14929 (found here for anyone interested: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043). If that doesn't help (which I'm assuming by your last post, it won't), I'm probably going to try making my ssid1 a virtual interface (and setup some kind of dummy ssid for the physical interface)...

I also notice that it's been almost a year since you originally had the issue...have things been functioning for the last year? I'm wondering if what crashfly mentioned (the NVRAM filling up) is some bug that's occurring, but it just takes a fair amount of time to reach critical threshold (i.e. about a year for you)? When you performed the upgrade last year it would have cleared out the NVRAM and started fresh again...I wonder if you were to simply do a hard reset and reconfigure your settings if everything would function again?
YaddaMinski
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just ran into this problem on a WRT54GL running VPN 13064. I loaded Brainslayer 14929 VPN but same problem. Is the VPN version the problem? If not, what build should I load now?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
assuming it is not a browser issue.. you guys are prolly running out of nvram.

check your free nvram

nvram show|grep free

see how much you have left

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I upgraded using Windows XP Firefox web browser. The meter worked OK and I got the message "Upgrade successful".

Will check NVRAM next chance. The WRT54GL has 4MB of NVRAM so I thought it would fit.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's 4mb of flash not nvram. The 4mb is where the fw is loaded to, nvram is where settings are kept.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: