Best router thread [first split]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 19:33    Post subject: Re: Best router for DD-WRT support Reply with quote
I recently purchased a refurbished linksys E3200, and although it has no 5Ghz support with dd-wrt, its 2.4Ghz performance is pretty good, has a USB port, and it has gigabit ports. Its actually one of the fastest response units i have now. So far, i'm impressed with it.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Sponsor
yousaf465
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please suggest a router.

1. It should have external removable/detachable antenna
2. BROADCOM Unit, I will be using NTFS formatted drives with it.
3.Connection speed is just 4Mbps download and 1Mbps upload So no need for a super fast CPU. Question
4. I will install Optware and rtorrent or transmission for using the router as a "pseduo-seedbox". (ram ??)
5. I don't need a 600 or 900 Mbps N router.
6. For stability, I will consider routers that can handle the k24 builds.

What should be the min size of flash required for all this and which router/s should I consider ? Question

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/12/12) std
(SVN revision 20119)

TP-link 741ND
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/21/10) std
(SVN revision 15778)

Finding the correct MTU value for your ISP | BrainSlayer Vlan on Atheros
|

debrick Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
basmaf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Choose something like a Linksys E3000 or Asus RT-N16
I think the asus would be a better choice since it has more ram

Min flash 8meg
Min CPU 400mhz
Min RAM 64 But I advice as much RAM as you can get.
Zew
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Asus RT-N16 ... Bst router I have ever worked with, I paid only $80, prob close to 2 years ago..

it has a 32 MB Flash with 128 MB RAM and a 500MHz CPU ... You would never get such specs with proprietary Cisco routers for that price.... DDWRT for the win!
tres
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice on a (of course dd-wrt or openwrt compatible) router as well. The facts are:

- medium size appartment with some 40cm+ walls
- 50 mbit vdsl
- 3-4 computers in network
- main use is streaming HD Video from attached storage
- therefore needs USB 3.0 connection

I've got LAN cables from my old router to the mac mini running Plex, but I guess having 5 Ghz Wifi would be quicker, right? Would gigabit LAN make sense?

So far I'm looking at a Linksys e4200 for EUR 60, it'd be nice to have an internal modem or can I just use the cheap router I've got as modem?

It'd be great if you could give me some input.

Thanks a ton,
tres
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think the e4200 has USB 3.0. I know the rt-n65u does but I don't think it is dd-wrt compatible.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not to mention the interference factor, USB 3.0 doesn't play nicely with 2.4Ghz devices. And considering USB 2.0 doesn't even remotely reach 2.0 spec speeds on routers, it shouldn't matter. You are not going to get USB 3.0 port speeds on a router currently, it just isn't going to happen, architectural limitations. And should you find a USB 3.0 compatible router, get ready to copper shield the port.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
tres
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, okay. From the manual:
Quote:
The E4200 recognizes USB 3.0 devices however it will force the device to run on 2.0 speeds.

Must have misread the specs.

Thanks for your info on the USB port interference, a USB 2.0 has to suffice then I guess. I won't get the full 480 mbit via wifi with the E4200 anyways, right? You guys have any other suggestions?
SwordOfWar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
At least a wireless N router (assuming you use a wireless connection).

The N66U by ASUS seems to have a good DD-WRT community behind it, but I remember reading about a 32k/64k issue and not sure if they ever fully got around that.

I haven't seen much support for the new AC wireless routers yet, but I'm hoping for support for the ASUS RT-AC66U to be supported.
Glorfyboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm looking for a nice pair of dual band routers for my wireless bridge setup. Currently I'm using a couple of old linksys routers that were dd-wrt compatible to achieve this, but as it's not wireless N the speed is less than appealing.

My current setup is that I have the main wireless router and internet connection coming into the computer room. 3 computers hook up to this router via cable and then there's usually 3-4 devices connecting over wireless at any given time.

In our TV room we have another wireless router acting as a bridge to provide internet connection to my home theatre PC and xbox 360. Copying large files to the HTPC is exceedingly painful over the wireless bridge because the best transfer rate I get is about 3.0 mb/s.

I'm also hoping to set up some sort of policy based routing so that I can have only certain websites pass through an openVPN connection while the rest behave normally, though I haven't quite sorted out an easy way to accomplish this yet.

Suggestions and advice would be most welcome.
SwordOfWar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it's a wireless bridge, you will definitely benefit via a wireless AC router (even if your end user devices don't support AC) since the AC will increase the speed of the bridge/repeater signal, allowing you to send data through the bridge/repeater to the HTPC faster.

AC is also the best for streaming period. There was a demonstration of 4 1080p streams running on different TVs at the same time over wireless using an AC wireless router.

What it really comes down to at that point is which router has the best firmware options to allow you to bridge two of them together.

The RT-AC66U's stock firmware only lets you bridge over WEP (or none) security types for the wireless. This might change in the future but I wouldn't hold by breath.

Don't know any AC routers that run stable on DD-WRT yet.

EDIT: If you don't mind connecting both routers via ethernet cable, you can set the RT-AC66U in Access Point mode which just extends the existing network (wireless also).
Glorfyboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
SwordOfWar wrote:
If it's a wireless bridge, you will definitely benefit via a wireless AC router (even if your end user devices don't support AC) since the AC will increase the speed of the bridge/repeater signal, allowing you to send data through the bridge/repeater to the HTPC faster.

EDIT: If you don't mind connecting both routers via ethernet cable, you can set the RT-AC66U in Access Point mode which just extends the existing network (wireless also).

Unfortunately at the moment connecting them via cable just doesn't really work, or I'd already be doing that. I don't mind running a cable from the one room to the other, but everyone else in the house does. Including the dogs who like to eat ethernet cables... Besides, if I was just going to just run a cable I'd simply throw in a switch instead of a router, would be cheaper at least. Wireless signal is pretty good throughout the house so the bridge device is just replacing the cable I'd have to run to that room otherwise.

There's not much of a huge rush on time frame, so you're suggesting that I should really just watch to see when DD-WRT will run stable on an AC router? Any particular thread that you know off the top of your head that I can pay attention to for progress? Connecting them but having to use WEP for security would just make me sad.
Solster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok so I toasted my WRT320N router trying to get ipV6 support and now I need a New router.

I'm looking for
WiFi N dual band
4 Port Gigabit
and Native ipV6 or Killer DD-WRT support for ipV6

needs to be fairly cheap as I haven't had a Job for some time.
Solster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
found it interesting that there is No word on asus's site about dd-wrt but Newegg was very upfront about it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091
SwordOfWar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah there is a pretty long thread about the N66U on this forum as well.

It seems DD-WRT support for this router is pretty good.

I never looked into this model so I don't know anything about ipv6 support.

This is the router I would have bought a couple of months back if I wanted a wireless N router.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 26, 27, 28  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 18 of 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: