Linksys E1200 V2, Configuring for Wireless Bridge, Bricked?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
xxbassplayerxx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:05    Post subject: Linksys E1200 V2, Configuring for Wireless Bridge, Bricked? Reply with quote
I recently set my desktop up in my basement, which isn't wired for internet. Since I had a spare Linksys E1200, I decided to do some research into DD-WRT and use the router as a wireless bridge.

I followed this guide to set it up, meaning I installed this version of the DD-WRT firmware: dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e1200v2.bin

After following the guide, the router worked perfectly. I set the router up as normal. After I completed this, I set to work on enabling the wireless-bridge functionality.

I followed the image in this guide. Though it was written for a different firmware version, I was able to follow the steps and get things set up.

The router was functioning after this and I was able to find the network I wanted to join using the "Site Survey". I could join it but it would not enable internet.

Since that didn't work, I tried changing the security from WPA2 to the other WPA2 option (combined, or something like that?). I changed a few other seemingly insignificant settings (I wish I could remember them...) but then the router stopped responding.

After this, going to the IP assigned to the router (192.168.0.1) no longer worked. Whenever I go to it (even on a browser which has no cookies or cache, i.e. Incognito in Chrome) the DD-WRT icon shows up on the tab. Unfortunately, the page does not load. Pinging the IP fails and the router does not show up in Device Manager. I've done some reading and tried the 30-30-30 reset to no avail.

A few more details: The lights on the back of the router function correctly. When I plug a cable into port 1, it lights up. When I plug a cable into 2, it lights up and so on. Since the DD-WRT icon shows on the 192.168.0.1 page, I think it's recognizing the router, even though the page doesn't load and I can't see it in device manager.

So... did I brick it? I tried following the Peacock Thread but it's very evident that was not written for novices. I have very little technical education in Networking.

Let me know what else you need to know and I'll try to provide it. Please understand that I may need you to spell some things out for me. Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set your computer to ip 192.168.1.5. Router should be at 192.158.1.1. Doubt you bricked it.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
xxbassplayerxx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I just not got around to trying to get this to work. The router had been unplugged for quite a while.

When I plugged it in, I was able to access the DD-WRT settings at the standard 192.168.0.1 address. From there, I did a restore to the backup I took before I started this whole mess (i.e stock DD-WRT). Once it rebooted, my computer connected to the internet. The DD-WRT router (E1200) recognized that I wanted it to be a wireless bridge.

The IP to access the settings is now 192.168.1.2 (just took a few guesses).

So thanks for the help even though the problem fixed itself! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: