Creating an iPhone app for dd-wrt interface

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
ddaddy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Updates to version 1.1.5 should be hitting everyone shortly.

This update brings:
Fixed backspace key in telnet
Fixed Return key in telnet for some sessions
Removed autologin when forward telneting from router to another box
Added telnet special keys
Cosmetic fix to add/edit router screen

First up for the next 1.1.6 is Radio on/off toggle which has been requested by many people.

Thanks

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I am getting a 5GHz router in the next week or 2 so I should be able to add data for the 2nd radio.

Also, I'm looking for anyone that uses Overplay.net VPN as i've added support for switching VPN countries/servers on your router direct from the app.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
So glad to have found this thread and, more specifically, the app. Excellent work, man. We'll be mentioning this on an upcoming Mac Geek Gab podcast, for sure (DD-WRT is a semi-regular topic for us).
ddaddy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the kind words Dave and that'd be greatly appreciated Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Version 1.1.6 has just been released.

This includes the much requested feature to switch the wireless radio off/on (Be careful with this as you could leave yourself without access to your router) and also support for overplay.net vpn server switching.

I now have a 5GHz router up and running (Thanks to flashrouters.com) so will be able to start adding support for the 5GHz radio.

Thanks for the great reviews.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dual radio/5GHz data is complete.

It appears the wireless radio channel switching isn't working for everyone, so I may have to remove this feature for now, sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
This looks like you've done some great work here. I was longing for an HTTP GET or POST API to work with myself so I could control dd-wrt from devices with very simple web browsers (Polycom SIP phones). You just scrape the HTML? That's a real chore if you are, and I'm glad it works well!

Curious: why don't you go the freemium route? Make the app read only and unlock the ability to change settings with an in-app purchase? Might help increase sales Smile

Cheers, and keep up the good work!
ddaddy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks.
A lot of it I scrape the HTML. Yes it was a hell of a chore but worth it in the end.

I'm glad I didn't go freemium with this. I have 5 apps in the App Store, and this is the only one thats made me any money. Still not enough to cover the time spent on it though.
I'd say that with it being a niche market, then people are happy to pay for it.

If it was freemium, I don't think I'd have even continued with it since version 1.0 as I can't afford to keep working for free.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh neat Smile

The freemium route does go after a certain type of potential customer. I ask because it's supposedly the way to make the most money on an app these days. However, with your experience working with the App market, I'm sure you've got the better judgment on that than I do Wink

As far as features go---and this is by no means trivial---you might find a market in having this app be a method to "quick deploy" a dd-wrt device. Everything from firmware flashing (it could connect to the dd-wrt SVN and push things around) to creating device-to-device bridges and such. Save/duplicate/upload configuration templates, stored in the app. Stuff like that.

Admittedly... these are all things that would work best with a serial port, but good luck bolting one of those onto an iPhone Very Happy
riahc3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should have made a Android app instead; Used by so many more people...
ddaddy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
RulerOf wrote:
Oh neat Smile

The freemium route does go after a certain type of potential customer. I ask because it's supposedly the way to make the most money on an app these days. However, with your experience working with the App market, I'm sure you've got the better judgment on that than I do Wink

As far as features go---and this is by no means trivial---you might find a market in having this app be a method to "quick deploy" a dd-wrt device. Everything from firmware flashing (it could connect to the dd-wrt SVN and push things around) to creating device-to-device bridges and such. Save/duplicate/upload configuration templates, stored in the app. Stuff like that.

Admittedly... these are all things that would work best with a serial port, but good luck bolting one of those onto an iPhone Very Happy

Freemium is definitely the way to make money with most apps on the app store, however that relies on you getting the download numbers. My game Twist 'n' Slide only gets 1 or 2 downloads a day so no model will bring me any income.
It boils down to categories I think. You've got next to no chance of getting a game into the game charts without a big marketing budget. But if you do, you make more money by giving it away and charging for in-apps.

Thanks for the feature suggestions although I think they may be quite a bit beyond my skill level and I wouldn't really like to be responsible for flashing other peoples hardware.

riahc3 wrote:
You should have made a Android app instead; Used by so many more people...

Yes, more people use Android. Unfortunately they don't spend any money on apps.
It's been published many times that the average Android users app spend is way way way below that of iOS users and Android developers are finding it even harder to make money on the Android store.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am developing an Android App for DD-WRT management over SSH. It has password and private key authentication, can store multiple routers and execute, for example, wake on lan. It is in early development, but router management and connecting works fine.

I am a bit clueless about all the variables that are used and because I only have one router, so I need people for testing. So if there is anyone interested in testing, even if you can only use the android emulator, which is free and accessible to everyone, please let me know.
ddaddy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
V1.1.7 released today.

Changelog:
Added auto refresh to data in 'More System Info' table.
Added dual radio toggle to 'More System Info' table to switch between 2.4GHz radio and 5GHz radio if supported.
Small telnet connection bug fix.
Unfortunately, for the time being, I have removed the feature of changing the wireless channel. This can still be achieved through the web interface page.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Listening to a lot of feedback from users, a lot of you have asked to be able to change the app's colour.
I have been working on version 2 of the app which has a totally new user interface with a customisable app colour from a colour picker of millions of colours.

I personally think it's looking quite good and hope you guys think the same when it's released.

If everything goes to plan, I hope to be able to localise all the text into different user languages too.
To do this I will need some people to translate for me. When ready, I would supply a big list of words and phrases that appear in the app that will need translating.
I could just use Google translate, but i'd rather get a human's touch on it.

If anyone is interested, please let me know what language you can translate from English and i'll also add you to the Beta group for a sneak peak of version 2 hopefully in the next week.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just thought I should mention, version 2 will be a free upgrade from version 1.

And thanks for the translation offers so far.

Navigation

Jump to: