DD-WRT Firmware for Netgear R6300

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Kronyx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've just try this firmware and it's not good for me, i have do a speedtest and got 6 mb/s, with the original firmware i have 62 mb/s, also the web interface is always time out, the 5GHZ interface go down after a moment, it's very buggy for me ! But it's a nice start, can't wait to get a stable version !!!

Thanks tathagata for doing a nice job !
Sponsor
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kronyx wrote:
I've just try this firmware and it's not good for me, i have do a speedtest and got 6 mb/s, with the original firmware i have 62 mb/s, also the web interface is always time out, the 5GHZ interface go down after a moment, it's very buggy for me ! But it's a nice start, can't wait to get a stable version !!!

Thanks tathagata for doing a nice job !

You must first enable 5GHz interface. After that you select country, bandwidth, channel etc as I mentioned before.

I am afraid there may be some configuration issue at your setup.
Kronyx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply, i made it work but i had very slow speed, and the web interface had a lot of time out, it's the main reasons why i got back to the Netgear's firmware
humbfig
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
tathagata wrote:
Now I would like to add other features like VOIP, DLNA, OpenVPN etc. Any idea about which revision should I use to take these features?

Also I am looking for your feedback and what are the feature you would love to see.

OpenVPN please!!!
I just bought one of this routers to establish an OpenVPN connection while doing close to 1Gbit/s WAN-LAN throughput. I didn't realize some features were not working. I don't even need the wireless.....

thanks for your work!
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kronyx wrote:
Thanks for the reply, i made it work but i had very slow speed, and the web interface had a lot of time out, it's the main reasons why i got back to the Netgear's firmware

Can you clear your browser's cache and try again?
CoryC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
New fix request....tathagata...

tathagata, OK....After all the help you gave me and the test we did...NEW PROBLEM....

DD-WRT seems to use default MAC addresses on its interfaces....SO, when I have two R6300 turned on both my radios are being assigned the same MACs....Obviously this creates a problem when my wireless clients keep dropping because two SSIDs cannot have the same MACs..

I have spent hours today trying to find a way to change the MACs...NO LUCK.....

Steps tried already:

1. 30-30-30 reset

2. erase nvram

3.nvram set commands to change the MACs - This has limited success, it did change the Ethernet and WAN MACs, but will not change the WLAN radio wl-1 interface....Both R6300s get 84:1B:5E:3D:FD:D6

I have now been forced to keep my second R6300 powered off because of this....If you can work with me on this over the next 48 hours or so I am ready....If not then I will return the second R6300 back to Netgear...

Thanks..
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let me look into this problem in my setup. It will take couple of days as next two days I will not be able to do work.

Thanks for your feedback.
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
What happens if you use DD-WRT in one router and Stock firmware in another?
CoryC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
tathagata wrote:
Let me look into this problem in my setup. It will take couple of days as next two days I will not be able to do work.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank You....Look forward to it....have a great weekend....if I find a another workaround solution I will share it, but I think it would be better to have an option to change the MACs of the Wl-x interfaces...or perhaps all interfaces...

Until then....Cheers....Need to take the wife out tonight for fun....Christmas party tomorrow night...
CoryC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought it would be good to have a tracking list of fixes/features, etc.

All members on this thread...Please feel free to copy this list and add your request to it....It think this will make it better for our DEV so he doesn't need to read 12+ pages of posts...

Improvement Requests:

1. Making changes via the web GUI is often resulting in web browser timeouts, which usually take 1-2 minutes to come back online. I can live with this. I did required one hard reset to get it to work again after making a change.

2. Cannot use any 5GHz channels 149 and above..

3. I would like to see the ability to lock in my primary channel and specify a range of bonding channels. I have some competition in my area and it would be nice to specify (Example: 2.4Ghz: Primary Channel 3 and Bond Range 5, 6, 10, 11, etc…OR…5GHz: Primary Channel 149 and Bond Range 153, 157, 161, etc). After extensive analyzing of my home location, I know which channels are best.

4. DD-WRT assigns the same default MAC address to its WLAN (Wl-1) interfaces. This prevents the use of Bridging and WDS. Need to have option to change MAC on all interfaces.

5. Open-VPN per other member requests.

6. Can we create an option to disable MAT (MAC Address Translation) when using bridging, etc?

7. Improve WEB interface to reflect status accurately. Examples: Channel bonding on 5GHz radio is not reflected properly and shows incorrect channel used. 5GHz radio TX power shows a value outside allowed range.

8. Improve IPv6 configuration options. YES, ISPs are now turning up IPv6 so its time to see these options in all network software. Comcast (who I have) turned up IPv6 roughly 5 months and ago and it works great.
Kronyx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Improvement Requests:

1. Making changes via the web GUI is often resulting in web browser timeouts, which usually take 1-2 minutes to come back online. I can live with this. I did required one hard reset to get it to work again after making a change.

2. Cannot use any 5GHz channels 149 and above..

3. I would like to see the ability to lock in my primary channel and specify a range of bonding channels. I have some competition in my area and it would be nice to specify (Example: 2.4Ghz: Primary Channel 3 and Bond Range 5, 6, 10, 11, etc…OR…5GHz: Primary Channel 149 and Bond Range 153, 157, 161, etc). After extensive analyzing of my home location, I know which channels are best.

4. DD-WRT assigns the same default MAC address to its WLAN (Wl-1) interfaces. This prevents the use of Bridging and WDS. Need to have option to change MAC on all interfaces.

5. Open-VPN per other member requests.

6. Can we create an option to disable MAT (MAC Address Translation) when using bridging, etc?

7. Improve WEB interface to reflect status accurately. Examples: Channel bonding on 5GHz radio is not reflected properly and shows incorrect channel used. 5GHz radio TX power shows a value outside allowed range.

8. Improve IPv6 configuration options. YES, ISPs are now turning up IPv6 so its time to see these options in all network software. Comcast (who I have) turned up IPv6 roughly 5 months and ago and it works great.

9. Bandwith management.
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have prepared a document on wireless configuration in DD-WRT. Check the link at http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/44086/How-to-Set-Up-the-5-GHz-Wireless-Connection-On-NETGEAR-R6300-Using-DD-WRT/
CoryC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
tathagata wrote:
I have prepared a document on wireless configuration in DD-WRT. Check the link at http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/44086/How-to-Set-Up-the-5-GHz-Wireless-Connection-On-NETGEAR-R6300-Using-DD-WRT/

Thanks for the document tathagata....

I am sad to report that I have moved back to Netgear firmware. Due to having two of these R6300 units the MAC address problem I reported makes this simply not possible. Concerns for not only me, but for others..

1. Cannot use Repeating, Bridge or WDS modes.
2. Anyone within 100 yards of your location that is using DD-WRT will get the same MAC and you will have dropped wireless connections constantly.

I am sure you and/or the OpenWRT community should appreciate that this is a problem that needs to be fixed.

I have also reported to you that any attempt to use 5GHz channels (North America) 149 or higher simply will not work. They are truly the better performing channels to use in the United States. I have tested/validated a 20-30 percent performance drop using the lower channels (36, etc).

If these two items were fixed then I could continue using DD-WRT and live with the other problems while you work, but as of now my configuration and use case requires these two items to be fixed.

Please keep us updated on your progress and let us know anything we can do to help and/or support you. You are truly appreciated and I (and I am sure the rest of the members) wish you and your family a happy holidays.

I will be unable to test anything for you between December 21 and 30 (possibly January 2nd) as I will be out of town and no where near my R6300s...

Keep up the great work tathagata!!!

Too everyone on this board...HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND BE SAFE!!!
CoryC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
One additional comment regarding IPv6….

I am not a person to boast titles and so on, but simply to support my next comments I am a lead architect/engineer for Cisco Systems. My comment regarding IPv6 is we need to get DD-WRT working efficiently. IPv6 is no longer this back-burner protocol feature with no practical use. In the past 12 months we have seen IPv6 go from “Who cares, cant use it”….to;

1. Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner, T-Mobile (and other major ISPs), and anyone using an LTE 4G network, etc is now fully Dual-Stack IPv6 capable.

2. IPv6 is now the native and priority protocol for Windows 8 and MAC OSX.

3. Although 2 percent does not seem like a large number, you must keep in mind that 2 percent of 100 Million websites and services worldwide is a large number. 2 percent is how many internet websites and services have started to enable and use IPv6 in the past year AND IT IS GROWING AT A MUCH FASTER PACE. So the argument of there not being any internet services you can use no longer applies. For those looking for some real examples of internet companies using IPv6….Cisco, Google, Facebook, Microsoft and a LOT of TORRENT CLIENT USERS…Search the web for a complete list…its pretty long and growing.

4. As of 1.5 years ago ICANN sold off the very last IPv4 subnet….There are no more IPv4 addresses….So this is forcing everyone to move to IPv6 much faster.

5. Many popular applications are releasing updates that have specific focus on IPv6…Examples…xBMC, PLEX, PMS, Skype, etc…Pretty much anything Multi-Media.

So, as you can see my point, the OpenWRT Devs needs to accept that IPv6 Dual Stack needs to be improved and incorporated into ALL future releases…

Netgear has Full Dual-Stack IPv6 built into their firmware and it works great….So if the idiots at Netgear can do this I can only assume the DD-WRT Devs can do this quickly….

And before anyone starts barking about the lack of IP Tables and Firewall support….I am only asking for the Dual Stack and leave the security concerns to the end-user….If the end-user doesn’t understand IPv6 and doesn’t know how to secure it…Then they should not be using it….Windows 7, 8 Apple OSX and many current Linux builds already have Firewalls that can handle IPv6…

PLEASE GIVE US IPv6 Dual-Stack….I will buy each of you a cookie…

And please, please make sure you include a DHPv6 server that support DHCPv6-PD....This will be required due to how ISPs have deployed IPv6...

Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 11.00.31 PM.png
 Description:
Just FYI....My entire network is IPv6 ready and anytime IPv6 can be used all my devices will use it first...All my internal network traffic is IPv6...
 Filesize:  98.21 KB
 Viewed:  12796 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 11.00.31 PM.png

Last edited by CoryC on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:03; edited 1 time in total
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your feedback. I will definitely include IPv6 in my next release.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25, 26, 27  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 12 of 27
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: