Location of firmware for Rosewill RNX-N150RT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Grokii
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 19:08    Post subject: Location of firmware for Rosewill RNX-N150RT Reply with quote
Hello, I am new to dd-wrt, but I've been interested for a few months. I would like to flash my first router, a Rosewill RNX-N150RT, but I'm having trouble even finding the proper firmware for it.

I reviewed the Router Database (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database) and cannot find either Rosewill or RNX-N150RT. I am reading on other forums that people have flashed dd-wrt on this model though.

I continued digging and found the 'supported devices' page on the wiki (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices) and I see a Rosewill section with my router with the following information:

Quote:
Model
RNX-N150RT

FCC ID
TE7WR741NX

Platform & Frequency [MHz]
Atheros AR7240@400

RAM [MB]

Flash [MB]

Wireless NIC
Atheros AR9285@17dBm

WLAN standard [802.11]
b/g/n 1T1R

Serial port

JTAG port
?

Eth. port count
4 LAN 1 WAN

Power Input [V/A]
9V 0.85A

min required DD-WRT version
rnx-n150rt - build 19327 - 20120606

So how do I go about finding the firmware flash file for this router if it appears on the supported devices page, but doesn't display on the download page?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Look in the dd-wrt file server, link is in my sig under DD-WRT builds.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Shryp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got one of these routers and flashed mine successfully. I too had trouble finding any type of documentation on this model router.

Here is where I downloaded the files.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/07-20-12-r19519/rosewill-rnx-n150rt/

Here is a list of other builds, but I chose the newest without the -testing suffix just because I figured it might be more stable.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/

Here were my steps:
1) download both files
2) 30/30/30 reset
3) flash the factory-to-ddwrt file
4) 30/30/30 reset
5) flash the -webflash file
6) 30/30/30 reset
7) setup and enjoy

I don't think I needed to install the second webflash file, but with no documentation, I wasn't sure if the first file was a full install or just something to overwrite the boot loader. I noticed no differences in the software after the second flash.

No major problems, I did notice the CPU displays as 350 MHz in all the display places on the web GUI. The supported devices wiki lists this router at 400 MHz. I am not sure if Rosewill was overclocking it or DD-WRT is underclocking it, but it does run a lot less hotter now. Regardless of that, it is still much more responsive than my other 2 routers ( WRT54G v5 and v8 ) running micro versions of DD-WRT.

The wireless radio is showing unknown channel, but no issues other than a bad display value. That was a common complaint in the thread dedicated to the 19519 build.

The LED lights all seem to work fine.
Trlsd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shryp wrote:
I just got one of these routers and flashed mine successfully. I too had trouble finding any type of documentation on this model router.

Here is where I downloaded the files.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/07-20-12-r19519/rosewill-rnx-n150rt/

Here is a list of other builds, but I chose the newest without the -testing suffix just because I figured it might be more stable.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/

Here were my steps:
1) download both files
2) 30/30/30 reset
4) 30/30/30 reset
6) 30/30/30 reset
7) setup and enjoy

I don't think I needed to install the second webflash file, but with no documentation, I wasn't sure if the first file was a full install or just something to overwrite the boot loader. I noticed no differences in the software after the second flash.

No major problems, I did notice the CPU displays as 350 MHz in all the display places on the web GUI. The supported devices wiki lists this router at 400 MHz. I am not sure if Rosewill was overclocking it or DD-WRT is underclocking it, but it does run a lot less hotter now. Regardless of that, it is still much more responsive than my other 2 routers ( WRT54G v5 and v8 ) running micro versions of DD-WRT.

The wireless radio is showing unknown channel, but no issues other than a bad display value. That was a common complaint in the thread dedicated to the 19519 build.

The LED lights all seem to work fine.

I can confirm that the above instructions work for the Rnx-N150RT . The problem I ran into is that in order to make it a 'repeater', one has to make a 'client' and then add a 'virtual access point' or Vap. The firmware above '07-20-12-r19519' does not allow the Vap to connect for some reason. After looking in more threads, it appears that the testing version works if making a repeater. So I tried the latest testing version:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/10-12-12-r20119-testing/rosewill-rnx-n150rt/

This time the Vap connected.

For making a repeater, I followed the following instructions after installing the above testing version of dd-wrt:

1) Make a Client first
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

2) Add a virtual access point (under virtual interfaces).

More detailed instructions with pics were found here:

http://electrodisc.com/dd-wrt/atheros/repeater.htm

So far, its working as a repeater. My question is that is it possible to add more than one virtual interface with different securities? I tried to do that, but connection to the second interface would fail. Also, is there a way to get OpenVPN working on it?

The revert file has been posted here, if anyone needs it:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=684281#684281

You have to login to the forums to download it.

Other threads on the RNX-N150RT for reference:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=165561

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=165372

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=165631

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=165189

The router appears as a TP-Link TL-WR741ND v1 in the dd-wrt system information page.

It'd be nice to put this in the wiki, if anyone has time.
mrkent
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shryp wrote:

Here were my steps:
1) download both files
2) 30/30/30 reset
4) 30/30/30 reset
6) 30/30/30 reset
7) setup and enjoy

What happens when you skip step 2? That's what I did, and dd-wrt installed successfully, but it won't allow me to connect to the internet.
Shryp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrkent wrote:
Shryp wrote:

Here were my steps:
1) download both files
2) 30/30/30 reset
4) 30/30/30 reset
6) 30/30/30 reset
7) setup and enjoy

What happens when you skip step 2? That's what I did, and dd-wrt installed successfully, but it won't allow me to connect to the internet.

Step 2 may or not be necessary. It is usually recommended to do a 30/30/30 reset before and after each flash and I figure the extra 2 minutes isn't going to kill me and hopefully it will ensure I have no problems.

As far as no internet, I would try rebooting your modem.
imtiaz78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks OP

Just bought the router and the instructions were great.
I am using :
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/10-12-12-r20119-testing/rosewill-rnx-n150rt/

Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/12/12) std - build 20119

Router Model appears as TP-Link TL-WR741ND v1
kevingroff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can I flash this router wirelessly using the Rosewill firmware or do I need to connect it to my PC?
Shryp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
kevingroff wrote:
Can I flash this router wirelessly using the Rosewill firmware or do I need to connect it to my PC?

I would say connect it to your PC and use an ethernet port.
mymuse666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:57    Post subject: bad flash? Reply with quote
I just flashed this earlier tonight. I get internet access wireless but I haven't been able to access the online ddwrt config for some time. It worked after a few hard 30/30/30 resets but i'm at a loss. Without the config it's worthless to have dd wrt as I can't even set up a password for the network. Any ideas?
Shryp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:53    Post subject: Re: bad flash? Reply with quote
mymuse666 wrote:
I just flashed this earlier tonight. I get internet access wireless but I haven't been able to access the online ddwrt config for some time. It worked after a few hard 30/30/30 resets but i'm at a loss. Without the config it's worthless to have dd wrt as I can't even set up a password for the network. Any ideas?

I didn't have any problems with mine. Did you 30/30/30 reset before you flashed it? Did you 30/30/30 reset it after you flashed it? Are you connecting wired or wireless? I know one of the settings blocks wireless configuring and another setting blocks WAN configuring so maybe you are just getting blocked by those.
lewellyn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sadly, the RNX-N150RT is only relatively recently supported by DD-WRT. (As far as I know, only builds 19327 and 20119 work on it; I didn't bother testing 20086 as it was replaced by 20119 literally moments before I upgraded, after a very short lifespan.)

19327 works fairly well, with three caveats: You can't use VAP, various pages have incorrect or unchangeable information (most notably channel selection, as the rest is probably not useful to most people), and (worst of all) it has stability problems (it hangs and becomes unresponsive, after like 12 days) which made me create a cron job to reboot weekly. Otherwise, it ran great until 20119 came out.

20119 has been working extremely well for me, correcting most of 19327's deficiencies, with one major problem: it randomly reboots, disconnecting both wired and wireless clients (perhaps why it's "testing"? *shrug*). Losing VAP is almost a good price to pay for the stability of downgrading.

At this moment, I'd have to say that if the stock firmware suits your needs (I couldn't get it to work as a "plain AP + switch", so it doesn't meet mine), stick with that at least until the next DD-WRT build. It is stable and provides most common functionality.

Otherwise, if you don't need VAP, go with 19327 and create a cronjob to reboot it weekly. If you need VAP, you have no choice but 20119, but be prepared for "GAH! The wifi disappeared for 30 seconds *again*!" from connected users, at random.

In the future, I suspect DD-WRT will rock on this thing though. Smile

If it were possible for mere mortals to actually build DD-WRT, I'd try to look into the cause of the hangs in 19327 and the reboots in 20119, to help the few of us using this device. Alas, I can't figure out its build system still. Crying or Very sad
Trlsd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
20119 has been working extremely well for me, correcting most of 19327's deficiencies, with one major problem: it randomly reboots, disconnecting both wired and wireless clients (perhaps why it's "testing"? *shrug*). Losing VAP is almost a good price to pay for the stability of downgrading.

I started having the same problem with 20119 so I reverted back to the stock firmware and started to use its repeater mode. Seems to be working.

Anyone know how to put gargoyle on this router? Someone was able to do it with the N300RT:

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3539

I tried it, but I ended up getting a error about file name.
Trlsd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to flash the RNX-N150RT to Gargoyle. If anyone is interested, you can see the forum post here:

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3670

Thanks to customcarvin for the help.

FYI, good deal on newegg with a free usb adapter:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166064
BigBadBrad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a new r20453 release in the 2013 folder here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/01-01-2013-r20453/rosewill-rnx-n150rt/

Anyone that notices random reboots care to try and see if it's fixed?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: