HOWTO: REPEATER MODE in atheros

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
cabronsaim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got it working!

I have a DIR 615 E4 running DD-WRT build 15778.
I am now repeating the signal from my ISP provided Router: an "AMBIT" router.

I pretty much did it in 5 steps. The key is to FIRST connect as a Client, get that to work, the rest is a piece of cake.

I started off with a 30/30/30 reboot

Connected my laptop to the router (DDWRT) via LAN Cat5, (wireless OFF). At this point my DD-WRT is not connected to anything else but my laptop and the electric outlet.

After setting the new admin username and pass:

1-Went straight to the "Wireless" Tab:
Wireless Mode= "Client" (NOT Client bridge)
Wireless Network Mode= I used "B" (just make sure it matches that of the Router you are connecting to(For me that's my "AMBIT" router).
Channel width= whatever the default(I didn't change anything here)
Channel= I used 6, the same than my "AMBIT" router.
Wireless Network Name: For me it was "Gonzalez" (Same SSID as "AMBIT" Router).
APPLY settings.

2-Then I went to the "wireless security" tab:
Security Mode: For me it was WPA2 Personal (same as my AMBIT router)
WPA Algorithms: TKIP (the same as my "AMBIT" router)
WPA Shared Key: "PASSWORD" (the same as my "AMBIT" router)
Apply settings

3- Then I went to the "STATUS" tab, and in the "WIRELESS" submenu, at the bottom, I clicked "Site Survey".
A list of local wireless SSID comes up.
Find the one from your Main Router (For me it was "Gonzalez") and click "JOIN". If a splash screen comes up, hit "continue".
APPLY Settings
If this is achieved correctly, you should now see your main Router's SSID at the bottom of the "STATUS>WIRELESS" page, under "Wireless nodes: Access points and clients"

At this point this is what we have:

INTERNET>AMBIT ROUTER>VIA WIRELESS>DD-WRT> VIA CAT5>LAPTOP
So now my LAPTOP now can connect to the internet.

NOTE: On my first time for some reason It didnt work, then what i did was a 30/30/30 reset on my DD-WRT and started over.

4.-Once I had (wired) internet all I did was go to the WIRELESS tab and added a "Virtual Interface"
MODE: AP
I kept the default name : "DD-WRT_vap".
APPLY settiings
5.-Then I went to WIRELESS SECURITY and entered the new security settings for "DD-WRT_vap" (I used the same as the other SSID, but it really doesnt matter).
APPLY settings.

And that was it!
BACKUP IT UP!

I think the most important points are that when you are setting up the client (STEPS 1 and 2), you NEED to make sure you enter the SAME settings as you have on your Main Router.
For me, It was a bit of a hassle at the beginning because my Main Router (AMBIT) is a B/G router and I was trying to make all this work with "G" but it just never worked. (SUCKS!)

If I missed anything, please pm.
Sponsor
josnan40
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
lose access to the router if you do not wan
OmegaNemesis28
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Netgear WNR3000 v3 still does not work with DDWRT and repeater bridge.

"
Anyone find a fix for the Repeater Bridge? I want the router to wirelessly extend my primary router.

I have it set to Client Bridge setting. My desktop is wired to the router, and then wirelessly it is connecting to my primary router fine.

However, I want it to be a wireless repeater as well. As explained, Atheros chips apparently do not support the setting. Instead, you have to add a virtual interface.

When I add a virtual interface, it refuses to function. Others have mentioned this. The moment I add the virtual interface and apply the settings: the physical wireless radio shuts off. I've played with all the settings for several hours. I've tried r18687, r18740, and 18777. All have the same issue. Also, I have tried to power cycle of course.

Sometimes, the router just crashes too after I add the virtual interface and I have to push the reset button."

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=84263&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
josnan40
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there any way to get the Atheros to keep the VAP available even when the client interface is not logged into the other ap, please?

I sometimes need it to be so I can long-in to the router via wifi to change the configuration to make it connect to the other ap.
lovebugs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:59    Post subject: CERTIFIED! This is working on DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/08/12) std Reply with quote
cabronsaim wrote:
I got it working!

I have a DIR 615 E4 running DD-WRT build 15778.
I am now repeating the signal from my ISP provided Router: an "AMBIT" router.

I pretty much did it in 5 steps. The key is to FIRST connect as a Client, get that to work, the rest is a piece of cake.

I started off with a 30/30/30 reboot

Connected my laptop to the router (DDWRT) via LAN Cat5, (wireless OFF). At this point my DD-WRT is not connected to anything else but my laptop and the electric outlet.

After setting the new admin username and pass:

1-Went straight to the "Wireless" Tab:
Wireless Mode= "Client" (NOT Client bridge)
Wireless Network Mode= I used "B" (just make sure it matches that of the Router you are connecting to(For me that's my "AMBIT" router).
Channel width= whatever the default(I didn't change anything here)
Channel= I used 6, the same than my "AMBIT" router.
Wireless Network Name: For me it was "Gonzalez" (Same SSID as "AMBIT" Router).
APPLY settings.

2-Then I went to the "wireless security" tab:
Security Mode: For me it was WPA2 Personal (same as my AMBIT router)
WPA Algorithms: TKIP (the same as my "AMBIT" router)
WPA Shared Key: "PASSWORD" (the same as my "AMBIT" router)
Apply settings

3- Then I went to the "STATUS" tab, and in the "WIRELESS" submenu, at the bottom, I clicked "Site Survey".
A list of local wireless SSID comes up.
Find the one from your Main Router (For me it was "Gonzalez") and click "JOIN". If a splash screen comes up, hit "continue".
APPLY Settings
If this is achieved correctly, you should now see your main Router's SSID at the bottom of the "STATUS>WIRELESS" page, under "Wireless nodes: Access points and clients"

At this point this is what we have:

INTERNET>AMBIT ROUTER>VIA WIRELESS>DD-WRT> VIA CAT5>LAPTOP
So now my LAPTOP now can connect to the internet.

NOTE: On my first time for some reason It didnt work, then what i did was a 30/30/30 reset on my DD-WRT and started over.

4.-Once I had (wired) internet all I did was go to the WIRELESS tab and added a "Virtual Interface"
MODE: AP
I kept the default name : "DD-WRT_vap".
APPLY settiings
5.-Then I went to WIRELESS SECURITY and entered the new security settings for "DD-WRT_vap" (I used the same as the other SSID, but it really doesnt matter).
APPLY settings.

And that was it!
BACKUP IT UP!

I think the most important points are that when you are setting up the client (STEPS 1 and 2), you NEED to make sure you enter the SAME settings as you have on your Main Router.
For me, It was a bit of a hassle at the beginning because my Main Router (AMBIT) is a B/G router and I was trying to make all this work with "G" but it just never worked. (SUCKS!)

If I missed anything, please pm.
lovebugs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Primary Router ZTE MF62
Secondary Router TP-LINK WR1043ND V1.8
vascoalm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I own a TP-Link TL-WR842ND V1, flashed it with build 19519, and it is working with no apparent problems, other than the ones already mentioned in the respective forum topic (constantly high cpu usage, anyone?).

That being said, I am trying to create a wireless bridge between a cable modem/router (Hitron, used in Portugal by ZON cable company) that uses Automatic Channel (it won't work properly if disabled, too much wireless transmissions in the area), and the tp-link router.

I am able to connect to the router and create the bridge, via WAN = Auto (DHCP), Gateway via Advanced Networking tab, Wireless via Client Mode, and then placing the appropriate configurations for the connection on the Wireless Security Tab, after performing Join via Site Survey window.

I tried almost EVERYTHING to try and get wireless clients to connect to the virtual AP. I used the same SSID (didn't work), different SSID, then used same encryption type and password (didn't work), then used different encryption type (also didn't work), I even tried fiddling with the advanced options, including changing Advanced networking to Router and even switching to Client Bridge (Routed), but nothing seems to work.

I realise that this firmware is beta (at best), and that support for this model hasn't matured yet, however I can't believe that this hasn't already happened to anyone and that that person was, as I, unable to solve it.

I am struggling with this Atheros chipset, because I don't want to resort to broadcom devices, however I reaching a point where, in order not to throw this router out the window, I may have to rely on a broadcom device to perform a simple wireless bridge!

Please advise on what to do, because at this point I don't know what to do more!

PS: I also tried to create a wireless bridge, with another router that uses no wireless security, and was unable to add wireless clients to the virtual ap. I had access to the internet via wired LAN, but nothing on the virtual ap.
mkhlzhr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can somebody say which is a stable buil/version for TP-Link TL-WR941ND v3.6 and WDS AP + WDS Station + VAP.
hellrotbill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 0:07    Post subject: WNDR3300 E3 Repeater Bridge problem Reply with quote
I have tried several times to add the virtual interface to have a repeater bridge and every time I do that it takes down my client AP bridge and so I am stuck.

I using this:

D-Link DIR-615-E3/E4
Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/19/12) std - build 18777

CPU Model Atheros AR7240 rev 1.2 (0x00c2)
CPU Clock400 MHz

I had an older build up from last year with same results.

At least I can get my remote computer on the network now. I just wish I could also repeat the signal down here.
mdewals
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I tried to get this done yesterday but I nearly ended with killing off the 5 hour old WR-1043ND by frustration.

In the previous mentioned infopage (this one)
under the broadcom section it says

Quote:
Security Mode : Must Match Primary Router and DD-wrt only works reliably with WEP or WPA2-AES

However, I understoot the WR-1043ND uses an Atheros chipset. In that section there is no mention it should be WEP or WPA2.
Does it still have to be WEP or WPA2 or is that only for the Broadcom?
I've been trying a WPA secured router and an unsecured router and found no succes.

Also, I don't see this mentioned anywhere but do I disable DHCP for the WR-1043ND? The original router will already act as DHCP, thus having 2 DHCP-servers can cause problems IMHO.

I also forgot to powercycle twice so that will be tried as well tonight.
ludoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
cabronsaim wrote:
I got it working!

I did more or less the same thing, but put the LAN interface on a different subnet from the main WIFI router, and enabled DHCP.

Main router is on 192.168.1.1
DD-WRT repeater WAN: DHCP from main router (192.168.1.x)
DD_WRT gateway: 192.168.1.1
DD-WRT eth0: 192.168.2.1
DD-WRT DHCP: enabled on 192.168.2.100-xxx

The rest is pretty much the same as your setup. If I connect my pc to the repeater with a wire, I get a 192.168.2.x address with DHCP, and the same happens if I connect with wifi.

I am using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/08/12) std on a TP-Link TL-WA730RE identified by DD-WRT as a TP-Link TL-WA801ND v1. Screenshots of my configuration:

WAN setup

Wireless setup

Wireless setup, advanced options

WAN status showing working link with master router

WIFI status showing links with master router and pc
wadami
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi everyone
I tried the steps posted above but I couldn't repeat my wifi signal Sad
I keep getting "Network Security Key Mismatch", I tried changing the key, setting to the same as the primary router, changing the SSID and other settings but I couldn't get it to work.
Any ideas?

Thanks
wadami
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
wadami wrote:
Hi everyone
I keep getting "Network Security Key Mismatch", I tried changing the key, setting to the same as the primary router, changing the SSID and other settings but I couldn't get it to work.
Any ideas?

Thanks

after some hours spent, I got it working by changing the routers (now my WR740N is the first router)
I didn't want to do that but it's the way it's working and it's working fine!
snusnu311
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 20:20    Post subject: CABLE YES, WIRELESS NO! Reply with quote
wadami wrote:
wadami wrote:
Hi everyone
Any ideas?

Thanks

after some hours spent, I got it working by changing the routers (now my WR740N is the first router)

damn, that cant be! I have the same problem!

I am using a FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7570 vDSL as main router wit h DHCP. repeater shall be a TL-WR740N v4. I flashed the repeater with DD-WRT v24-sp2.

It works to the point that I can access internet from my laptop over the repeater via WIRE (!), I cant access the internet wirelessly. He tells me that my wpa2 key must be wrong. this cant be! I checked this over and over a hundred times.

what else can it be that I cannot connect to the router wirelessly but with network cable? =(
DKosta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:11    Post subject: Re: CABLE YES, WIRELESS NO! Reply with quote
snusnu311 wrote:
wadami wrote:
wadami wrote:
Hi everyone
Any ideas?

Thanks

damn, that cant be! I have the same problem!

I am using a FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7570 vDSL as main router wit h DHCP. repeater shall be a TL-WR740N v4. I flashed the repeater with DD-WRT v24-sp2.

It works to the point that I can access internet from my laptop over the repeater via WIRE (!), I cant access the internet wirelessly. He tells me that my wpa2 key must be wrong. this cant be! I checked this over and over a hundred times.

what else can it be that I cannot connect to the router wirelessly but with network cable? =(

The same problem.
I have wrt 160nl as a Repeater.
This build ftp://www.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/07-20-12-r19519/linksys_wrt160nl/

No chance to connect via WiFi.
I tried Client Bridge (routed) and Client modes. I have even changed alternative IP for my laptop.

What can I do else ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: