[solved] wrt160n v3, need a good hotspot firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
stevenh512
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 0:24    Post subject: [solved] wrt160n v3, need a good hotspot firmware Reply with quote
I love this router, especially with DD-WRT. Problem is, it has 4mb of flash and seems to only accept a .bin 3.8mb or smaller.

I need the mini hotspot firmware and will be adding a few scripts with the firmware mod kit. So far, I've had to go all the way back to the (2011) Brainslayer 18024 build to get something small enough to flash to this router. Everything I've found newer than that is 3.9mb or larger and the router refuses to take it.

I'm thinking I can do without AnchorFree and Sputnik and I've figured out how to completely remove them from the web GUI with the mod kit, what other files do I need to get rid of to completely remove them from a newer firmware and free up some space?

Also, while I'm at it, what else can I remove to free up some space? I'm 100% sure I don't need PPP, PPTP or PPPoE and I think I've figured out how to remove those.

edit: I've also already done the external antenna mod for this router (really simple) and have it running on a high gain external antenna about 2 feet outside my window. Through trial and error (and reading the wiki) I've determined I can bump up the transmit power to 85-95mw without transmit errors regardless of which DD-WRT build I'm using.

edit2: Nevermind, for now the 18024 build is acceptable for my purposes (small enough to fit the router, new enough to work with everything I need). That'll do until I get brave enough to attempt my own custom build, I've build Linux systems from source before (Gentoo and LFS) but never for a router yet. Smile
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: