ASUS RT-N12 vs RT-N16 vs RT-N66U

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
geokilla
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:16    Post subject: ASUS RT-N12 vs RT-N16 vs RT-N66U Reply with quote
What router should I go for to replace my Linksys E900 if I'm just using it for basic Internet use? The E900 is really bad imo as it keeps on freezing and locking up. You can check my other threads on that. Anyways, I'm not doing anything crazy on the Internet. I'm going to surf the Internet, download occasionally via mIRC and BT, and use VOIP. I don't have a lot of wireless clients that require heavy Internet usage. My Internet speed is 28/1, soon to be 35/3.

I've skimmed around the Internet and the DD-WRT wiki for each of them, and well, it seems that they are all very good routers. Obviously the RT-N66U has the best specs, but is it worth $110 for my kind of usage? Or should I just spend $40 for a RT-N12, or $50 for a RT-N16?

Thanks!

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Build BS18740 standard generic
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
RT-N16 is worth every one of those $50, the RT-N12 not more than $25.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 18:41    Post subject: Re: ASUS RT-N12 vs RT-N16 vs RT-N66U Reply with quote
geokilla wrote:
Obviously the RT-N66U has the best specs, but is it worth $110 for my kind of usage? Or should I just spend $40 for a RT-N12, or $50 for a RT-N16?

Thanks!

Where did you find a RT-N66U for $110? Smile
geokilla
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 23:46    Post subject: Re: ASUS RT-N12 vs RT-N16 vs RT-N66U Reply with quote
Bird333 wrote:
geokilla wrote:
Obviously the RT-N66U has the best specs, but is it worth $110 for my kind of usage? Or should I just spend $40 for a RT-N12, or $50 for a RT-N16?

Thanks!

Where did you find a RT-N66U for $110? Smile

Best Buy Canada after a price match and using $25 gift card. I estimate the cost to be around $100 to $110 tax included.

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Build BS18740 standard generic
robthecomputerguy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
This really depends on what you use the router for.

And the ddwrt database and message boards are very hard to follow.

I have bought 4 different RT-N16's and every time I forget I can never figure out what firmware to load of there that will actually work, and I send it back. I mean threads with 80 pages are useless, and the wiki always seems to have just enough incorrect information to give a hard reminder that this is a volunteer project.

I have had awesome long term success using the RT-N12 in a chain of Manhattan coffee shop where they easily exceed 200 DHCP leases at once and the internet speed test comes up at exactly what our line is rated for with just a few users. (I set leases to 10 minutes because we'll have 200 customers come through the store in an hour.)

And yesterday, after about a year and a half, I got the flickering lights of death and the router is done with. This happens on these routers frequently.

Unfortunately, the B1 release of the N12 router has never worked for me. Originally they just always bricked. I had one of these work for about 3 months and it died 2 weeks ago.

Today, I installed a new B1 and the software works, but it simply will not, no way, no how, connect to the internet.

The only way I got the "correct" version of the B1 software was to search for threads, and there was the link to the version people advised: 17990. I have no idea what 17990 corresponds to because there seems to be no linear advancement of build numbers and the "current" version in the sidebar of the site is like 500 builds back. God is this frustrating, I wish I could just buy the original N12.

I'm sorry to complain so much, but wanted you to know that it's not a slam dunk that whatever you buy will actually work, and that's probably to be expected as the electronics are ordered/built/shipped in batches.

We used the N12 in the coffee shop because we didn't need the USB of the N16, and I have never seen a router work so amazingly. I added super huge antennas and put the transmission strength at 71.
ryzhov_al
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just FYI: We did some CPU benchmarks, just too see what computation performance we've got on some stock or overclocked frequencies.

Please note, it's only a CPU's benchmarks, not a router's itself.

Last edited by ryzhov_al on Thu Jan 10, 2013 16:58; edited 1 time in total
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
correct me if i am wrong but the rt-n16 is a better specification router than the rt-N12. bigger cpu(480 mhz) and ram(128mb) and flash(8 mb?) should make it a good choice for heavy loads. the only thing it doesn;t have is the 5 ghz radio. it;s pretty simple to get flashed to dd-wrt. flash the trx build straight from the Asus interface, then the bin build from DD-WRT.

what are the specs on the N12?

i have been watching the development and price on the rt-n66u but haven;t decided to pull the trigger yet on getting one. 110-140$ is a bit much out of my price range. Also,seems like development is still ongoing.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: