Netgear WG602v4 firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Avok78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:32    Post subject: Netgear WG602v4 firmware Reply with quote
Hi all,

this is my first post in this wonderful community Smile.

Yesterday, I decided to update my Netgear WG602v4 with the DD-WRT firmware.
But, I think that I did a mistake Sad.
In fact, I supposed that the firmware reccomanded on the main dd-wrt page (under the router dotabase) was the most stable version available.
In fact, I downloaded this file:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/Netgear/WG602/v4/dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin/3746

and I used it to flash my netgear Smile
All goes well, but sometimes the AP is very unstable and it crashes Sad (I used it in repeater mode).

This morning I did some google searches and I read (in the wiki - wlan repeater article) that there are newer dd-wrt versions and the versions reccomanded on the main page are very bugged Sad
Doh Sad

So, I read many pages on this forum (in particular peacock thread), but I am very worried about the correct firmware/version that I have to flash in my netgear (I don't want to brick my AP Smile)

My AP appears in the supported devices:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Netgear WG602 v4
Chipset: Broadcom 5354
RAM 8 MB
FLASH 2 MB

Which firmware do you reccomand to flash inside my AP?
Can I use the upgrade function presents in the dd-wrt web-ui to upgrade my AP or I have to use another time tftp?

Thank you very much for any help Smile
Have a nice day Smile

Avok.
Sponsor
Avok78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello again Smile
I've continued my searches inside the forum and I found this link:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WG602_v3/4

So I have downloaded this file:
BrainSlayer builds (14929) dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/
[dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin]

Have I follow this guide http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

specifically this part?:

"BELOW IN THIS NOTE ARE THE GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR UPGRADING TO A DIFFERENT BUILD OF DD-WRT ONCE YOU HAVE DD-WRT ON THE ROUTER. YOU MUST FOLLOW THE WIKI INSTALL FOR YOUR ROUTER (NOTE 5 BELOW)IF YOU DO NOT ALREADY HAVE DD-WRT ON THE ROUTER. HOWEVER, ONCE DD-WRT IS INSTALLED, AND YOU WANT TO UPGRADE, USE THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW. THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR UPGRADING FROM ANOTHER VERSION OF DD-WRT; THE WIKI IS FOR INITIAL INSTALLATION ON A ROUTER THAT DOESN'T HAVE ANY VERSION OF DD-WRT ON IT. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND FLASH THE RIGHT BUILD FOR YOUR ROUTER (NOTE 4 BELOW)

The proper process for flashing when upgrading EXISTING dd-wrt firmware is:

a.Set your computer to a static IP of 192.168.1.8. (or to whatever subnet the router is on) Disable all firewalls and security. Disable wireless on your computer and only have the router connected to the flashing computer by the ethernet cable between the two.
b. Hard reset prior to flashing. Wait. Check for password page on re-login and change password.
c. Flash firmware. You should use the dd-wrt webgui upgrade page except if you have a belkin router. (For belkin use tftp.exe to flash)
d. Wait...at least three minutes. Lights should return to normal. See important2, below. Failing to wait is how most people brick their routers.
e. Do a power cycle of the router. (Unplug the cord, count to 30 and plug it back in.)
f. Wait for the lights to return to normal usually about 2 minutes.
g. HARD reset again. Wait. Check for the password page and re-login to change the password. Then you can reconfigure your settings manually.
h. Once configured set your computer back to autoIP and autoDNS.

Important: This 30-30-30 hard reset works fine for Asus router, but you do have to power cycle after the reset....however, the RT-N16 model you do the 30/30/30 using the WPS button instead of the Restore button.

Important2: After you flash the firmware, and before you do the hard reset, the router will be building some nvram settings. YOU MUST WAIT FOR THIS TO FINISH PRIOR TO DOING ANYTHING WITH THE ROUTER INCLUDING A HARD RESET. Usually, you can tell when this process is completed by the WLAN light coming on, but it does take several minutes. Go have a beer. There are starting to be more and more people who BRICK their routers by not waiting until the nvram is rebuilt, PRIOR to doing a hard reset. YOU NEED TO WAIT!

If you have done a hard reset on the router, and received the change password screen, make sure you mention this in your post if you still have a problem....otherwise everyone will be telling you to do a hard reset."

Is it right?
I'm afraid about a brick :S

Thanks a lot Smile
Bye
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes. It is right.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Avok78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Yes. It is right.

Hi Murrkf Smile

Yesterday I flashed the Netgear with the BrainSlayer builds (14929) firmware!
All it goes well Smile
At the beginning the upgrade webgui was in loop because (maybe) in the path folder there were spaces or (maybe) the path was too long. Then, after 15 minutes, the load bar goes left to right Smile, I supposed that it was in loop and I decided to close the page!
I opened another dd-wrt session and I put the file .bin in the home folder (I used linux: /home/user/) and I re-tried the upgrade.....after less than 1 minute the firmware was flashed and all it was well Smile

I saw that many bugs are disappeared but sometime the router (in repeater mode) freezes (in particular if I leave the dd-wrt home page opened). I supposed that the memory load was too high (98%)...I don't know!

But, at the moment it seems that it is ok Smile

Thank you
Have a nice day.

Avok
Avok78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Yes. It is right.

Hi Murrkf,
the 14929 build seems work very well, but I would like to ask you if do you recommend to install (if I can on my netgear wg602v4) this build:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/01-24-2013-r20548/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin

Thank you very much Smile
Have a nice day
Avok78
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: