WRT160NL - Repeater Mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
rgarcia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 18:17    Post subject: WRT160NL - Repeater Mode Reply with quote
Hi guys,
today I bought a Linksys WRT160NL Router which I want use as Repeater. Therefore I installed the dd-wrt Firmware like described on this website: http://wrt160nl.org
Well at next I set the Username and Password and followed this description: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

However the problem is that in the Wireless Mode I just have the following options: AP, Client, Client Bridge, Adhoc, WDS Station, WDS AP --NO REPEATER? :(

Where is the mistake?

Looking forward to here from you.
Thanks and regards
Raul
Sponsor
rgarcia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I already got it Smile
Thanks Rolling Eyes
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
With atheros units there is no 'repeater' mode like with broadcom, instead you have to use 'client' mode (not client bridge) and then create a virtual interface for wireless clients to connect to, and before you go asking tons of questions like i always get when i answer this, read what i typed carefully it answers everything in 1 sentence.

So you would need to reference the wiki on linking routers and setup according to the 'client' guide. Once you have the units talking to each other, then create a virtual interface on the client router, this will let wireless client connect as well.

Best regards.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
bwah, didn't type fast enough Laughing

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
rgarcia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
hehe sorry ...
there is just one problem remaning.
When I configure Wireless Security for the Virtual Interface the hosts who connect via WLAN don't get an IP anymore...
Thats very strange cause if I remove the security for the Virtual Interface ath0.1 they get an IP adress Shocked
Any idea?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hrm not sure, you made sure to setup DHCP properly?

rgarcia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
The DHCP Server is disabled cause I already have one activated on my primary router.
Also the DHCP Settings disappeared after activating WLAN Client Bridge.

So all devices connected by cabel as also connecting by wlan are getting IP Adresses from the Primary Router (Class B - 192.168.1.100 - 199).

Edit:
Therefore my Notebook Connected via cable with the Linksys Router has got the following network settings:
IP: 192.168.1.119 /SBN: /24 /Gateway: 192.168.1.100 (primary router) /DHCP SRV: 192.168.1.100 /DNS: 213.191.74.xx, 213.191.74.x2, 192.168.1.100
Same for WLAN Clients which connects while WLAN Security for the virtual port is disabled.
rgarcia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good morning ...
I found a new tutorial: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged#V24_builds

In which also is said that the dhcp service will disappear after activating Client Bridge mode.
Now I tried to give my Notebook connected via WLAN a Static IP, this works...
But it's still very strange that no dhcp ip will be delivered via secured dhcp otherwise all clients connected via cable got an ip from the dhcp.
chuchesaku
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just lost a bunch of time trying to figure out why the DHCP is not being forwarded. Then I came to the crazy idea Idea to use the 14311 build. I uploaded the older build over the newer (14896) without resetting the settings and it did the trick. Everything works just perfectly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: