DIR-825 rev C - Lan ports not working/bricked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Crossword
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:20    Post subject: DIR-825 rev C - Lan ports not working/bricked Reply with quote
Last week I purchased the D-link DIR-825, flashed DD-WRT to it without issues and used it as a repeater. About 3 days later it decided not to work (literally overnight, turned pc off and 12 hours came back and I had no access). After fiddling with it I realised that all the lan ports will not work, the wireless works fine, except when I try to put it into repeater mode.

Things I have tried:

- 30/30/30
- TFTP (unavailable due to no LAN support)
- Reflashing dd-wrt

I have been searching for similar posts to this without success, a few mention the LAN ports working for a couple seconds on startup (pingable). My device never connects to LAN, not for a second.

After every method tried to recover it I decided to break DD-WRT using erase linux command in telnet, wich did exactly that. Broke DD-WRT, but the ports still do not work.

After all that I have come to comclusion that it is most likely a hardware failure, due to the sudden failure, the constant results and the results after breaking the firmware.

At the moment I see two options, jtag (only info I can find on my model is for Rev. B such as in this thread - http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=520266
But does the rev. C require a different method, since the hardware is slightly different.

Another option I thought was to delete all software on it (possibily how it is now), fully brick it, and claim it under warranty, similar story to what I successfully did to my bricked phone (another reason I am hesitant for J-tag as that will automatically void warranty)

At the moment when it is turned on, both the Power and LAN 1 LED's are lit up, hangs on that for a few seconds then the power LED will flash while the LAN 1 LED is constantly lit up.

My options seem very limited, and feel that the router will end up being put into the bin, but if anyone has any further information It would be great.
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
if the port are dead even in recovery mode the unit is damaged.
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
if the port are dead even in recovery mode the unit is damaged.

Ok, what are the chances of getting it covered under warranty? knowing that you now can't currently access it at all (through LAN or wireless). Technically its voided since I flashed it, but I did the same sorta thing with my phone and got it covered by warranty Razz
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thats something you ask d-link & dont tell them you flashed it unless they ask..

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

cg2101
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 17:28    Post subject: Same issue Reply with quote
I just saw this and by now you probably already returned your router, however I had the EXACT same issue with DD-WRT on my D-Link 825 when I updated it to the latest version.

It worked for a little bit and then I couldn't do anything on LAN.

I was able to fix the problem though. I tried all of the things you did, but the only way I could get it to work was:

1) do the 30/30/30
2) flash the original D-Link firmware 1.27A
3) then I went through the steps of installing the same DD-WRT version that caused the issue.

Once I got the original firmware back on, everything worked again under stock. Then for whatever reason when I replaced that with the latest DD-WRT, it worked great (and is still working).

I thought it was a fluke, but since you had the same problem, I wonder if there's a sometimes issue with the flashing?
tranehigh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have had the same problem as the OP. I purchased a new DIR-825 rev. C1 and flashed with the latest build of DD-WRT available at

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/04-15-2013-r21286/dlink-dir825-c1/dir825c1-firmware.bin

Everything was working perfectly for several days, but one morning I came to use the computer and found none of the LAN ports were working any longer. After a 30/30/30 reset I was able to log onto the router wirelessly, and tried to flash the original DLINK firmware. I received a success message but after rebooting the router it still had the DD-WRT firmware. I also tried to flash with an earlier build of DD-WRT, and again received a success message, but the firmware remained unchanged at the latest version.

Is there any way to recover the router once it's in this condition? Any ideas as to why the flash isn't working, even though I'm getting a success message each time?
jimstaffer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but it seems that neither cg2101 nor tranehigh has the same problem as Crossword (OP). If you can flash the f/w with a LAN port, then your LAN is not dead. (Unless you're trying to flash f/w via wifi using the upgrade function???)

However, I believe I have the exactly the same problem. Wifi works fine, but all 4 LAN ports and the WAN port are completely dead. I've set it back to factory defaults, but that didn't help. I don't even get a link LED on the laptop any more. (It's possible they respond for 1s, but I have not observed this.) This looks very much like a h/w failure to me.

One other thing that I noticed. I had finished playing around with it, and had just start to really use it. It worked fine for a couple of days, then I came home from work one day, and noticed the LAN ports were not responding. I went to see why, and I noticed the unit was very warm - much warmer than it should have been, IMHO especially since it's a "Green" router.

I got a really good deal on these routers, so I actually bought two. The second one is working fine.

Has anyone else seen the all the wired ports just die?

D-Link DIR-825 C1
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/15/13) std (SVN revision 21286)
perkinma
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
+1 to the problem detailed by Crossword and jimstaffer, turned up one morning and all the LAN ports are dead but wireless I think is still working (still more testing to be done). Version C hardware.

30:30:30 reset does appear to enter into firmware recovery mode (flashing power light) but with no LAN ports can't do anything with it.

LAN ports do not appear to be functional at all, response from PC is that no cable is connected at all when it is actually plugged in (Ports 1-4 and WAN port).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Should I open up and look for hardware problems or try and return under warranty and hope no-one asks about the DD-WRT firmware....
slice1900
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
This happened to me last week on my DIR-835 (rev A1) which likely has the exact same chip controlling the LAN ports.

All LAN ports and the WAN port were dead, I couldn't even get a link light on the device(s) at the other end. Wireless worked fine and I was able to access the router, but I couldn't flash it back to factory through the wireless interface. Tried 30/30/30 and got the recovery mode prompt via wireless (LAN ports still dead) but also could not flash the factory firmware.

Now that I think about it I probably could have successfully flashed the factory firmware using the command line (I only tried through the GUI, it does not work via wireless) But who cares, I returned it. If they deny me service on an obvious hardware problem because I flashed DD-WRT, it would be the last product I ever buy from Dlink.
jimstaffer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 0:52    Post subject: How to wipe dd-wrt for a warranty claim without LAN Reply with quote
Like the others, I believe my hardware is faulty, and I'd like to have it replaced under warranty. I assume that installing non-vendor firmware voided the warranty, and so D-Link has no obligation to replace such products.

Q: How best to proceed? Is it possible to completely wipe all evidence that it ever had dd-wrt on it - given the limitations (and without opening it, obviously)?

On the other hand, it only cost $40... It will cost me more than that to navigate the return process.

What I'm much more concerned about is - is there an inherent design flaw with these units? Will my other DIR-825 C1 also fail before long? The natives (at home) will become very restless if this happens when I'm not around to fix it...
slice1900
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can download the latest firmware and flash it directly onto the unit. With the LAN/WAN dead you'll need to do it via wifi, but you can't use the GUI over wifi. So you need to login via SSH, download the factory firmware to /tmp, and follow the instructions in the Wiki for flashing via command line. I probably should have done this with mine but I didn't think of it immediately after trying to flash it failed. I just wanted to box it up and send it back.

Personally I don't think they'll bother to check it. When they receive it, they'll plug it into a switch they have on their desktop, see no link light on the switch port, try the other LAN ports and WAN port, and find the same thing. Exactly as the notes from your support call will have indicated.

It is unlikely they'll go further than that in troubleshooting. These techs probably have a quota for how many items they have to process per hour, and probably don't waste time looking for a way to void warranty service on such an inexpensive item.
jimstaffer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 0:33    Post subject: Success!!! Reply with quote
Thank you for your nice advice, slice. I tried what you said and it worked. The wiki said:

write d-link_fw_image_file.bin linux

This did nothing, but then I searched around a bit more and did this:

mtd write d-link_fw_image_file.bin linux

and then rebooted. Voila! back to D-link f/w. Oh, and the *+*^%$#@ router still gets hot, and the LAN and WAN ports are all still dead - no surprise there.

I genuinely believe that - like the others affected - this is a legitimate h/w failure, and the fact that I flashed dd-wrt and openwrt on it for a couple of days is irrelevant! Good luck other folks!
perkinma
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I never thought to enable SSH or Telnet from default so looks like I can't get access. I thought Telnet was enabled by default but turns out I was wrong.

slice1900 did you warranty straight back to D-Link or through retailer?
slice1900
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
perkinma wrote:
I never thought to enable SSH or Telnet from default so looks like I can't get access. I thought Telnet was enabled by default but turns out I was wrong.

slice1900 did you warranty straight back to D-Link or through retailer?

Huh? You can enable SSH/telnet through the GUI at any time. If you have no LAN/WAN you still have wireless access to the GUI to be able to do this.

I sent mine to Dlink, it had purchased a few months ago. I received an email yesterday that they'd shipped me a replacement DI-835 and provided the tracking number, so either they didn't notice DD-WRT had been flashed on it, or didn't care.
perkinma
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmm, my symptoms are slightly different then. I can connect wirelessly (user id and password work correctly as per what I set, not defaults) but the GUI does not load. DHCP allocation of IP addresses even works and PC is automatically allocated an IP address (over WiFi) but GUI definitely will not load.

No problem, will try and return to D-Link and see how I go.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: