WRT160N V3 Bricked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
t2mg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had to register and drop by to let you guys know exactly how to fix this. I just successfully unbricked my router by:

Manually assigning my ethernet adapter a
IP 192.168.1.x address,
255.255.255.0 subnet,
192.168.1.1 gateway

unplugging the router, holding the reset button in and powering it up, DO NOT RELEASE, visit http://192.168.1.1/ or http://192.168.1.1/f2.htm [don't think it matters] and upload your file, the router will now automatically reboot, NOW release the reset button as it comes back up, configure your router the way you want it and enjoy!

I intentionally bricked it 2 more times (power light turns off and stays off) and I can confirm this works for me every time.
(Please edit my post as needed for clarity, readability, sentence structure and grammar)
Sponsor
zoeysmiles
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 13:33    Post subject: Just to say thank you Reply with quote
t2mg wrote:
I had to register and drop by to let you guys know exactly how to fix this. I just successfully unbricked my router by:

IP 192.168.1.x address,
255.255.255.0 subnet,
192.168.1.1 gateway

unplugging the router, holding the reset button in and powering it up, DO NOT RELEASE, visit http://192.168.1.1/ or http://192.168.1.1/f2.htm [don't think it matters] and upload your file, the router will now automatically reboot, NOW release the reset button as it comes back up, configure your router the way you want it and enjoy!

I intentionally bricked it 2 more times (power light turns off and stays off) and I can confirm this works for me every time.
(Please edit my post as needed for clarity, readability, sentence structure and grammar)

after countless hours and headache...simple as this...no disassembly...pin shorts...cables...didnt even hard reset...i even had the pleasure of rebricking...again thank you
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 14:06    Post subject: Re: Just to say thank you Reply with quote
zoeysmiles wrote:
t2mg wrote:

IP 192.168.1.x address,
255.255.255.0 subnet,
192.168.1.1 gateway

after countless hours and headache...simple as this...no disassembly...pin shorts...cables...didnt even hard reset...i even had the pleasure of rebricking...again thank you

Ineresting.. I wonder if this technique will work with other routers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
questions for the experimenters - before i get home to try this myself-

what comes up on your browser when you open up 192.168.1.1 with the reset button held in? the router must be pretty far along in the boot process to display a web page.

what does ping return?

can you successfully tftp to the router with the reset button held in?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Didn't work on a 310 V1 which was flashed with V2 stock oem firmware which caused the brick.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Didn't work on a 310 V1 which was flashed with V2 stock oem firmware which caused the brick.

310v1 is too old for having a CFE HTTP server, it appeared first in 160v3,310v2,320,610v1.
Th way of invoking it may differ between routers since there has been lots of code changes to that function since it was introduced.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
after reading t2mgs post...and of course it worked
first shot no muss to fuss...
i too felt compelled to register...
just to say thank you to t2mg
goes to show for how things are made opposed to how they are presented
thinking...likely to be that you know some more tips and tricks for gadget geeks...?
Sagres
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 18:55    Post subject: Not working for me... Reply with quote
Unfortunately this did not work for me.. Do you need a crossover to make this work?
maxikaaz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi

My problem with WRT160N v3 is probably different.
After RAM upgrade (64MB - Nanya NT5DS32M16BS-6K) router was starting correctly, but only 32MB was visible.
After commands designed for RAM-modded WRT54G/GL/GS -
Code:
nvram set manual_boot_nv=1
nvram set sdram_init=0x0113
nvram set sdram_ncdl=0x000
nvram commit
reboot
- and restart, i have all LAN/WAN diodes bright light, WLAN/POWER diodes dark light.
No respond for PING.
No respond for JTAG (buffered + TJTAG 3.0.2, made missed connections on PCB).
No respond for RESET button.
LAN interfaces not visible with connection to external switch or ethernet card.
CPU and network controller cold ("measured" with finger).

Have no idea...
auspidermonkey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:32    Post subject: Had to register to say thanks! Reply with quote
I have a Linksys WRT310N which i managed to brick (no ping response, power light would blink while powering up then go off and remain off, lights for ethernet would come on if a computer is plugged in).

I tried 30 30 30 and many other options, even from linksys website, with no luck. I tried this by chance and it worked a charm. reflashed to Linksys firmware and its working like new!

Thanks again!

[quote="t2mg"]I had to register and drop by to let you guys know exactly how to fix this. I just successfully unbricked my router by:

IP 192.168.1.x address,
255.255.255.0 subnet,
192.168.1.1 gateway

(Please edit my post as needed for clarity, readability, sentence structure and grammar)[/quote]
angler
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

may have to try several attempts, under XP was able to get it to play but had to reduce network card to 10Mbps and uncheck QOS and other network connection options. mine was unreachable, but I had the card set to AutoDCHP and got thru while the link was establishing.

LOM wrote:

310v1 is too old for having a CFE HTTP server, it appeared first in 160v3,310v2,320,610v1.
Th way of invoking it may differ between routers since there has been lots of code changes to that function since it was introduced.

mine was v1 and it did work for me, tftp'ed 1.0.10 firmware back on. then flashed to V24SP1 stable mini and then V24SP2 14896 std.
se7six
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a strange bad Tomato flash on one of my WRT160N V3's where the internet still worked but I wasn't able to access the web GUI or tftp a firmware into it.

The first time I tried this "continue holding reset" fix it worked great. I flashed to the WRT160Nv3 DD-WRT build and then directly back to a different "stable" version of Tomato that I was using.

Thanks for the information regarding the Cisco rescue page!
nunmrat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
weyemar wrote:
lijianch wrote:
I just fixed the problem for my v3 router.

There is a cisco utility built in that we should use.

Procedure is

1. Plug the power. The power light will blink and go off afterward.
2. Press the reset button till the power light back on. Do not unplug the power. Otherwise, step 1 will repeat.
3. Visit http://192.168.1.1/ and you should see cisco recovery page. It is very brief but good enough for us.
4. Upload the right firmware and reboot.

Come back to life and enjoy it!
]

Are you serious?? I just got back from Walmart cause I swapped out my bricked WRT160Nv3 with a new one >.>

Please excuse my unfamiliarity with this process, I have very little experience modifying routers and I've, unsurprisingly bricked my wrt160n v3. Each time I try the above method I get nothing after navigating to the provided ip address. Must the router be connected to a modem for this to work.

To clarify - I'm attempting this on a macbook pro. Router plugged to power source, ethernet cord plugged into port #1, other end of cord plugged into my computer. I'm getting nothing after following steps (holding down reset, navigating to ip address.

Thanks you in advance
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Peacock announcement, note 6.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
hondaguy28
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
t2mg wrote:

IP 192.168.1.x address,
255.255.255.0 subnet,
192.168.1.1 gateway

OMG... You rock. I bricked my v3 going from DD-WRT to Tomato and followed these steps and got Linksys firmware back on and got Tomato on after that. Thanks a lot man.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: